Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Coronavirus Proves the Argument For Universal Healthcare

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Coronavirus Proves the Argument For Universal Healthcare

    Sanders, who was speaking on the subject for the second consecutive day at the same Burlington hotel, sought, like Biden, to present the kind of leadership he believes is absent from the White House right now. He spoke softly for 20 minutes, in front of Vermont and American flags, on the measures he believed were necessary to protect Americans from the health and economic effects of the crisis.

    The virus, he argued, was exposing unique structural weaknesses. Pointing out that a “full battery of tests” for the virus costs $1,300 without insurance, Sanders noted that “40 percent of our people don’t have $400 in the bank to pay for an emergency expense.” What were they supposed to do in a crisis like this? “Maybe they end up going to a payday lender,” he warned, driving them deeper into debt, or maybe they would decide to “go without a test, which every doctor in the world tells them is a test they must have.” And while insurance companies have said they will cover the full cost of the test, they haven’t said the same about treatment, which could cost far more. Such a system is “cruel,” Sanders said.

    But it isn’t simply cruel in the abstract, or a problem facing other people. The pandemic had, he said, crystallized the consequences of health care inequity in a way that everyone could understand. When Sanders said on Friday that “what this crisis is beginning to teach us is we are only as safe as the least insured person in America,” it was not just a rhetorical flourish—he was saying that if your neighbor does not have insurance and can’t access health care, you are at risk too. Medicare-for-all has always been presented as an altruistic idea; but sometimes a bit of selfishness goes a long way.

    “People who cannot afford to go to a doctor are at the risk of spreading infections,” Sanders said, envisioning a scenario in which “we have millions of people who may be dealing with the virus, but they cannot go to the doctor.”

    It’s sort of impossible to try to imagine how the campaign might have played out differently if it were just starting under these circumstances—a global pandemic and a looming recession—rather than just wrapping up. Already, the crisis has knocked down some ideological barriers that have been up in Washington for a long time. Conservatives have made the case for paid sick and family leave, and Trump himself has suspended interest payments on student loans. Municipalities are stepping in to grant relief from evictions. The idea of simply waiving copays is itself the kind of measure would have been unexpected just a few weeks ago.

    “I would hope that this crisis—and maybe that’s my main point today—should be a moment in which people ask fundamental questions about the rationality of our current health care system,” Sanders said.


    https://www.motherjones.com/politics...in-a-nutshell/

  • #2
    I can't imagine why anybody would want the federal government to manage healthcare right now. For the last 2 weeks all I've heard is how terrible the federal government's response to the coronavirus is. Now you're saying we should have the federal government control all of healthcare? then when someone you don't like gets into office we have to listen to you whine about it Non-Stop? No thanks.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Taco John View Post
      I can't imagine why anybody would want the federal government to manage healthcare right now. For the last 2 weeks all I've heard is how terrible the federal government's response to the coronavirus is. Now you're saying we should have the federal government control all of healthcare? then when someone you don't like gets into office we have to listen to you whine about it Non-Stop? No thanks.
      The government had the ability to respond until somebody starting breaking up the response team. Gee. Who could have done such a thing? They asked Trump today about that. He said, don't look at me. Then, he started looking around for somebody else to blame. Damn! Haven't seen leadership like that since, who, Lincoln? Patton? That's some inspiring ****!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Taco John View Post
        I can't imagine why anybody would want the federal government to manage healthcare right now. For the last 2 weeks all I've heard is how terrible the federal government's response to the coronavirus is. Now you're saying we should have the federal government control all of healthcare? then when someone you don't like gets into office we have to listen to you whine about it Non-Stop? No thanks.

        I think this is a good point. I would never want the Federal Government to run/ operate any healthcare delivery system. Single payor, yes of course i think that’s the way to go. But i don’t think the government owning or running operation is the right way to go.

        However this is a great opportunity to introduce reforms that takes response to Pandemics out of the presidents hands for the most part. I think Trump’s malignant narcissistic personality has shed light that one person who is deeply unfit has put every family in this country in harms way. I’m not a policy person, so i don’t know if that is enhancing powers at the surgeon generals office and the CDC that when an outbreak hits a threshold internationally those two bodies kick in and take over to better prepare our nation.

        this is truly a black eye on the country, but no doubt an excellent time to do a retrospective and be better prepared next time.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post

          The government had the ability to respond until somebody starting breaking up the response team. Gee. Who could have done such a thing? They asked Trump today about that. He said, don't look at me. Then, he started looking around for somebody else to blame. Damn! Haven't seen leadership like that since, who, Lincoln? Patton? That's some inspiring ****!
          We need a failsafe in case we screw up an election again.... this was the perfect storm

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by B-Large View Post


            I think this is a good point. I would never want the Federal Government to run/ operate any healthcare delivery system. Single payor, yes of course i think that’s the way to go. But i don’t think the government owning or running operation is the right way to go.

            However this is a great opportunity to introduce reforms that takes response to Pandemics out of the presidents hands for the most part. I think Trump’s malignant narcissistic personality has shed light that one person who is deeply unfit has put every family in this country in harms way. I’m not a policy person, so i don’t know if that is enhancing powers at the surgeon generals office and the CDC that when an outbreak hits a threshold internationally those two bodies kick in and take over to better prepare our nation.

            this is truly a black eye on the country, but no doubt an excellent time to do a retrospective and be better prepared next time.
            I don't want the government to run the healthcare delivery system either, just the insurance end of it. For non-profit. We already know that Medicare does a better job at that than private insurance does. That yanks about $900 billion off our annual costs. Add in the volume buying of pharmaceuticals and how many hundreds of billions does that save? Easy to see why there is such a vicious anti-universal health care campaign in this country. It's a massive cash cow!

            Imagine all that money back into the pockets of Americans instead of those parasites? What would that do for the economy if, instead of every American paying health insurance companies an average of $10,000 per year for health insurance, they were paying in to the universal health care program $5,000 per year - and everybody in America is covered! No copays. No Americans going bankrupt due to medical costs (the number one cause of American bankruptcy). Nobody going to work sick or even dying, because they can't afford to go to the doctor. Doctors no longer having to spend hours and hours of their time trying to manage the massive administration of ancillary insurance paperwork, which is so complex, it's like doing a tax return every day. Single payer. All they have to do is treat patients.

            When will the American people wake up?

            Comment


            • #7
              wen they stop listening to FOX news and the lying filthy politicians that support the pharmaceutical lobby !

              Comment


              • #8
                the HEALTH industry stopped looking for CURES, decades ago !
                TREATMENT equals a lifetime of patience and wealth !
                CURES dont feed the piggy bank, sorry CURES, the medical industry finds you as an opponent to their sustained wealth !
                JONAS SALK was an IDIOT. he cured polio !
                dumb sob could have been rich instead... fool.
                the hypocratic oath is now,
                "treatment, not cures"

                Comment


                • #9

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Taco John View Post
                    Same media. The difference? POTUS!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Taco John View Post
                      COVID has just begun. Maybe visit this in 12 months?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        the HEALTH industry stopped looking for CURES, decades ago !
                        TREATMENT equals a lifetime of patience and wealth !
                        CURES dont feed the piggy bank, sorry CURES, the medical industry finds you as an opponent to their sustained wealth !
                        JONAS SALK was an IDIOT. he cured polio !
                        dumb sob could have been rich instead... fool.
                        the hypocratic oath is now,
                        "treatment, not cures"

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by DenverBrit View Post

                          Same media. The difference? POTUS!
                          exactly !the trump lies and dismissive approach is what plummeted the market !

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Taco John View Post
                            I already told you why this is an idiot comparison, yet you still post it. You are a loon.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              "Trump's Decisive Actions Helped Save Lives During Coronavirus Epidemic, Experts Admit"

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X