A letter from Italy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A letter from Italy.

A friend forwarded this to me earlier. I'm posting it in the hope everyone takes this viral outbreak seriously. If you're a conspiracy nut or denier, don't pollute this thread with nonsense. People are dying and we and Europe are late dealing with this pandemic.

Cristina Higgins
    March 10 at 5:42 PM
    I am writing to you from Bergamo, Italy, at the heart of the coronavirus crisis. The news media in the US has not captured the severity of what is happening here. I am writing this post because each of you, today, not the government, not the school district, not the mayor, each individual citizen has the chance, today to take actions that will deter the Italian situation from becoming your own country’s reality. The only way to stop this virus is to limit contagion. And the only way to limit contagion is for millions of people to change their behavior today.

If you are in Europe or the US you are weeks away from where we are today in Italy.
    I can hear you now. “It’s just a flu. It only affects old people with preconditions”

There are 2 reasons why Coronavirus has brought Italy to it’s knees. First it is a flu is devastating when people get really sick they need weeks of ICU – and, second, because of how fast and effectively it spreads. There is 2 week incubation period and many who have it never show symptoms.
    When Prime Minister Conte announced last night that the entire country, 60 million people, would go on lock down, the line that struck me most was “there is no more time.” Because to be clear, this national lock down, is a hail mary. What he means is that if the numbers of contagion do not start to go down, the system, Italy, will collapse.
    Why? Today the ICUs in Lombardy are at capacity – more than capacity. They have begun to put ICU units in the hallways. If the numbers do not go down, the growth rate of contagion tells us that there will be thousands of people who in a matter of a week? two weeks? who will need care. What will happen when there are 100, or a 1000 people who need the hospital and only a few ICU places left?

On Monday a doctor wrote in the paper that they have begun to have to decide who lives and who dies when the patients show up in the emergency room, like what is done in war. This will only get worse.
    There are a finite number of drs, nurses, medical staff and they are getting the virus. They have also been working non-stop, non-stop for days and days. What happens when the drs, nurses and medical staff are simply not able to care for the patients, when they are not there?

And finally for those who say that this is just something that happens to old people, starting yesterday the hospitals are reporting that younger and younger patients – 40, 45, 18, are coming in for treatment.

You have a chance to make a difference and stop the spread in your country. Push for the entire office to work at home today, cancel birthday parties, and other gatherings, stay home as much as you can. If you have a fever, any fever, stay home. Push for school closures, now. Anything you can do to stop the spread, because it is spreading in your communities – there is a two week incubation period – and if you do these things now you can buy your medical system time.
    And for those who say it is not possible to close the schools, and do all these other things, locking down Italy was beyond anyone’s imagination a week ago.
    Soon you will not have a choice, so do what you can now.
    Please share.

Originally posted by DenverBrit View Post
    A friend forwarded this to me earlier. I'm posting it in the hope everyone takes this viral outbreak seriously. If you're a conspiracy nut or denier, don't pollute this thread with nonsense. People are dying and we and Europe are late dealing with this pandemic.

Cristina Higgins
    March 10 at 5:42 PM
    I am writing to you from Bergamo, Italy, at the heart of the coronavirus crisis. The news media in the US has not captured the severity of what is happening here. I am writing this post because each of you, today, not the government, not the school district, not the mayor, each individual citizen has the chance, today to take actions that will deter the Italian situation from becoming your own country’s reality. The only way to stop this virus is to limit contagion. And the only way to limit contagion is for millions of people to change their behavior today.

If you are in Europe or the US you are weeks away from where we are today in Italy.
    I can hear you now. “It’s just a flu. It only affects old people with preconditions”

There are 2 reasons why Coronavirus has brought Italy to it’s knees. First it is a flu is devastating when people get really sick they need weeks of ICU – and, second, because of how fast and effectively it spreads. There is 2 week incubation period and many who have it never show symptoms.
    When Prime Minister Conte announced last night that the entire country, 60 million people, would go on lock down, the line that struck me most was “there is no more time.” Because to be clear, this national lock down, is a hail mary. What he means is that if the numbers of contagion do not start to go down, the system, Italy, will collapse.
    Why? Today the ICUs in Lombardy are at capacity – more than capacity. They have begun to put ICU units in the hallways. If the numbers do not go down, the growth rate of contagion tells us that there will be thousands of people who in a matter of a week? two weeks? who will need care. What will happen when there are 100, or a 1000 people who need the hospital and only a few ICU places left?

On Monday a doctor wrote in the paper that they have begun to have to decide who lives and who dies when the patients show up in the emergency room, like what is done in war. This will only get worse.
    There are a finite number of drs, nurses, medical staff and they are getting the virus. They have also been working non-stop, non-stop for days and days. What happens when the drs, nurses and medical staff are simply not able to care for the patients, when they are not there?

And finally for those who say that this is just something that happens to old people, starting yesterday the hospitals are reporting that younger and younger patients – 40, 45, 18, are coming in for treatment.

You have a chance to make a difference and stop the spread in your country. Push for the entire office to work at home today, cancel birthday parties, and other gatherings, stay home as much as you can. If you have a fever, any fever, stay home. Push for school closures, now. Anything you can do to stop the spread, because it is spreading in your communities – there is a two week incubation period – and if you do these things now you can buy your medical system time.
    And for those who say it is not possible to close the schools, and do all these other things, locking down Italy was beyond anyone’s imagination a week ago.
    Soon you will not have a choice, so do what you can now.
    Please share.
    I only quoted it to make sure that more people read this ! This letter is more valuable and important than anything djt is likely to say in an hour ! It is wghat he should have said to this country instead of
    "I have a hunch "
    had he done so we would have been better off financially as well as physically.
    Instead he tried to calm us with LIES and the MARKET took action !
    STFU trump !

Comment

Just gave a ride to an Italian chick. Who lives on corona street. Swear to God. She was hot too.

Comment

Italian man begs authorities to collect dead sister amid coronavirus lockdown

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/coronav...t-dead-sister/

Comment

"We in the U.S. are currently where Italy was a week ago. We see nothing to say we will be substantially different."

That statement alone should be enough to sober anyone who still doubts the seriousness of what is happening. Because what is going on in Italy right now is a horror show, one that many never thought could happen.

That UCSF panel didn’t break new ground with the information it was sharing, but it was starkly straightforward in presenting the information that many news accounts continue to tiptoe around.
          • At this point, coronavirus is past containment. “Now we’re just trying to slow the spread, to help healthcare providers deal with the demand peak to … ‘flatten the curve’” and buy time for the healthcare system to respond.
          • We don’t know the true extent of infection in the United States. No one knows.
          • In the next 12-18 months, 40-70% of the U.S. is likely to be infected, because it takes that kind of number to develop any “herd immunity” that will prevent further epidemic outbreaks. At the moment 0% of the population is immune.
          • Not only is the U.S. just days behind Italy, but there is no reason to expect that things in the U.S. will not follow the same trends displayed in Italy.
          Those numbers, combined with a 1% case fatality rate, mean 1.6 million could die in the next year. Italy is currently experiencing a case fatality rate of 5%.

- University of California, San Francisco panel on COVID-19.

Comment

never mind the amen, can I get a hand washing !
            when will trump stop shaking hands ?

Comment

I will continue to bump this to the top until it gets 100 views.

Comment

bump

Comment

many more should be reading this !

Comment

spread the word or spread the virus !

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	89774943_3031323190232801_1601666409316745216_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=_W_ovT4wWaYAX9aqP4u&_nc_ht=scontent.fbkk13-1.fna&oh=73e1e40c9cfdc0439d432a0fba6941da&oe=5E9821CB.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	2587507

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	89774943_3031323190232801_1601666409316745216_n.jpg?_nc_cat=108&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=_W_ovT4wWaYAX9aqP4u&_nc_ht=scontent.fbkk13-1.fna&oh=73e1e40c9cfdc0439d432a0fba6941da&oe=5E9821CB.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	2587507
                        If DJT thought it would get him re-elected he undoubtedly would do that. But only until the election was over...then back to business as usual.

Comment

So typical. Someone borrowing money that they can't repay if they go past one paycheck.

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
                            So typical. Someone borrowing money that they can't repay if they go past one paycheck.
                            You should call up Trump and tell him you're ready to offer your brilliant economic advice. He's writing checks at a billion a pop.

Comment

Originally posted by DENVERDUI55 View Post
                              You talking about Trump again? Why do you think he kept asking the FED to cut rates....so it maybe would allow him one more round of borrowing to pay his massive debts to Deutche Bank and the Russians?

Comment

Working...
                              X