Los Angeles DA's husband pulled gun on Black Lives Matters protesters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Los Angeles DA's husband pulled gun on Black Lives Matters protesters

Protesters knocked on the front door of L.A. County District Attorney Jackie Lacey at 5:40 a.m. PT when her husband, David Lacey, opened up and pointed a weapon, according to Melina Abdullah, a professor of Pan-African studies at Cal State Los Angeles, and protest organizer Justin Marks.

"We heard the gun cocking, and I thought I was being paranoid," Abdullah told NBC News. "But then he opened the door, leading with the gun. He saw me and lowered it, pointing it at my chest."
    https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...black-n1146976

Why the **** are they knocking on his door at 5:40 AM? Unless my house is on fire I might threaten to shoot someone too.

Comment

Shane just wants to take his gun away.

Comment

There's a lot more to this story than this single incident.

I personally know Melina Abdullah. I've interviewed her a few times and ran a photo of her on the front cover of my newspaper a while back. I'm down for her cause in general, but I'd say that she's gone much further than most protesters, and further than I would personally go, which is why I'm not an activist. lol The cause she's standing up for is right, but the method was wrong. She should not have knocked on Lacey's door at 5:30 am. It's a bit much to even camp out on the sidewalk in front of Lacey's house at that time.

Because of this action of ringing the doorbell at 5:30 am, and the reaction from the husband by coming out with a gun (I can't be mad at him for that lol), the cause that Abdullah is fighting for has been lost on most people who haven't followed this. Many black people in Los Angeles desperately want Jackie Lacey, a black woman, voted out of her district attorney office. The election is today. When Lacey was elected it was a big deal. I believe that she was the first black woman to be elected to that office. Since then, she has not brought charges against a single police officer for any brutality or police shooting case. According to Abdullah, the LA PD has killed more people over than any other police force in the nation (I'm not sure what time period she's looking at, I'd have to look that up). There have been several high profile cases of officers killing black people since Lacey has been in office, but zero charges. That's a big deal. Also, she's been very slow to get on board with the criminal justice reform that many of the local black (and Latino) community organizations have been pushing to get. When she was elected, the thought was that she was going to be helpful on those issues, but she hasn't been at all. According to Abdullah, she's been trying to meet with Lacey for a few years but Lacey refuses to meet, which is what led to the group camping out in front of Lacey's house. Abdullah and BLM-LA aren't the only black community groups that are protesting Lacey, and none of the black political groups here in LA endorsed her.

Comment

Working...
        X