• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soros: Remove Zuckerberg from his post at Facebook

Remove Zuckerberg and Sandberg from their posts
    by George Soros
    2/17/2020

Mark Zuckerberg should stop obfuscating the facts by piously arguing for government regulation (“We need more regulation of Big Tech”, February 17).

Mr Zuckerberg appears to be engaged in some kind of mutual assistance arrangement with Donald Trump that will help him to get re-elected. Facebook does not need to wait for government regulations to stop accepting any political advertising in 2020 until after the elections on November 4. If there is any doubt whether an ad is political, it should err on the side of caution and refuse to publish. It is unlikely that Facebook will follow this course.

Therefore, I repeat my proposal, Mark Zuckerberg and Sheryl Sandberg should be removed from control of Facebook. (It goes without saying that I support government regulation of social media platforms.)

George Soros Paris, France

https://www.ft.com/content/88f6875a-...d-25e377c0ee1f

What's the rationale for Facebook not taking political advertising anyway? Why shouldn't they be allowed to?

Comment

Originally posted by Taco John View Post
      What's the rationale for Facebook not taking political advertising anyway? Why shouldn't they be allowed to?
      As long as they won't fact-check political ads, they leave themselves open to valid criticism. Facebook is a cesspool of fake news and ads that flat out lie.

An analysis from the Guardian published last month found that Trump spent around $20 million on hundreds of thousands of ads on Facebook, some of which were false, outspending all the Democratic candidates.

Despite a litany of criticism, Facebook continues to run political advertising on its platform, repeatedly stating that it should not litigate the legitimacy of claims made in campaign ads.

Their policy is in contrast to Twitter's ban on all political advertising, which was enacted last November, and Google's heightened restrictions on targeted political ads, which began in January. A letter signed by hundreds of Facebook employees to Zuckerberg opposing the company's policy was published in the New York Times last October.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...PjI?li=BBnb7Kz

Comment

You're arguing with a guy who believes everything that comes out of QAnon.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
          You're arguing with a guy who believes everything that comes out of QAnon.
          I know. He's taken over from Gaffney when it comes to bizarre conspiracies.

Comment

George, If you don't like what's on facebook, then don't read it. Freedom of Speech. People are allowed to say what they want. It's like trying to regulate a tabloid. Nobody cares.

Comment

post pics

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBrit View Post

As long as they won't fact-check political ads, they leave themselves open to valid criticism.
                The same can be said about all the political ads on TV. Should the government step in and stop all the networks from showing political ads that aren't 100% true?

Comment

Originally posted by GreatBronco16 View Post

The same can be said about all the political ads on TV. Should the government step in and stop all the networks from showing political ads that aren't 100% true?
                  Government intervention?? You mean FCC? They already regulate advertising source and truthfulness but allow political ads to claim pretty much anything.

Twitter won't accept political ads, asking Facebook to fact check ads and put safeguards in place to prevent Russian, or any other, interference makes sense.

Those same fake ads can't find their way on TV unless they meet FCC standards for disclosure and proof of source. ie, they must be legit, but not necessarily truthful.

Or do you prefer more Russian interference instead of fact checking??

Comment

Government intervention?? You mean FCC? They already regulate advertising source and truthfulness but allow political ads to claim pretty much anything.

Twitter won't accept political ads, asking Facebook to fact check ads and put safeguards in place to prevent Russian, or any other, interference makes sense.

Those same fake ads can't find their way on TV unless they meet FCC standards for disclosure and proof of source. ie, they must be legit, but not necessarily truthful.

Or do you prefer more Russian interference instead of fact checking??
                    Of course he does.

For the same reason #MoscowMitch keeps blocking every election security bill that comes his way:

They know tRump can't win without Russian help and without the usual panoply of Republican dirty tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post

Of course he does.

For the same reason #MoscowMitch keeps blocking every election security bill that comes his way:

They know tRump can't win without Russian help and without the usual panoply of Republican dirty tricks.
                      It was pretty much rhetorical.

I'm more in line with the EU & UK model. They need to lead the way and restrict the same on social media etc.

Many countries restrict the use of broadcast media to broadcast political messaging.
                      In the European Union, many countries do not permit paid-for TV or radio advertising
                      for fear that wealthy groups will gain control of airtime, making fair play impossible and distorting the political debate in the process.

Comment

One billionaire telling the government how another billionaire should run his business is exactly why government doesn't belong anywhere near this question.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post

Of course he does.
                          Of course I don't, so watch your tongue on mischaracterizing me. However, the ads that I currently see on TV from people running for some kind of office are full of deceit and lies. About the only thing true in them are, "Hi, my name is ……….. and I'm running for ………" The rest is a bunch of BS.

No what you guys want is anything that's an ad for Trump or any Republican to be censored. Just admit it.

Comment

I'm more in line with the EU & UK model. They need to lead the way and restrict the same on social media etc.

Many countries restrict the use of broadcast media to broadcast political messaging.
                            In the European Union, many countries do not permit paid-for TV or radio advertising
                            for fear that wealthy groups will gain control of airtime, making fair play impossible and distorting the political debate in the process.
                            I'd be all for this and I'm not afraid to admit that.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatBronco16 View Post

Of course I don't, so watch your tongue on mischaracterizing me. However, the ads that I currently see on TV from people running for some kind of office are full of deceit and lies. About the only thing true in them are, "Hi, my name is ……….. and I'm running for ………" The rest is a bunch of BS.

No what you guys want is anything that's an ad for Trump or any Republican to be censored. Just admit it.
                              It's fairly astonishing how these guys have convinced themselves that political advertising is honest everywhere except Facebook.

Comment

Working...
                              X