Bernie is the only shot to beat Trump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bernie is the only shot to beat Trump

All of this fearmongering from the big moneyed media outlets that Bernie would be a disaster is nonsense. Before we get into debating policies like Medicare for all, I’m focusing on who has a chance to beat trump with the electoral college and all the republican gerrymandering of the last 20 years.

Bernie speaks for the disenfranchised and actually has a record to back it up. Trump does a song and dance for the disenfranchised and convinces many he’s their guy despite being the most swampy President we’ve ever had - the difference being, instead of just doing what people are paying his admin to do, he’s also doing things that pay him directly.

There is a lot of crossover appeal for the two of them, enough so that Bernie could win over a lot of swing voters. The entrenched centrist democrats want to maintain a system that clearly isn’t working and hasn’t worked for 30 years. The party needs to go back to being a party of the people. People want, people need radical change. America is going downhill and it’s just getting more unequal with Trump.

Too bad the dnc won’t let Bernie be the Democrat candidate. Trump would beat him anyway. Hopefully he runs as an independent

Comment

Any one of the candidates can beat trump. I could **** on a plate, put it on the ballot and beat trump. Trumps base of Nazis,white supremacist and other dumbass republicans isn’t large enough to carry a GE. Independents decide elections,Independents are not going to make the mistake of voting trump again.

Comment

Goal number one is to toss out Trump. Goal number two is to toss out Mitch. Who is the best candidate to achieve those two goals? I don't know, yet. We'll have to see who starts picking up momentum. Once the candidate is clear, I hope the ENTIRE Democratic Party gets on board. If the candidate is not "perfect" for progressives, or "perfect" for moderates, or "perfect" for AAs, or Latinos, or women, or young voters, etc, everybody has to set aside their purity and get out and vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
          Goal number one is to toss out Trump. Goal number two is to toss out Mitch. Who is the best candidate to achieve those two goals? I don't know, yet. We'll have to see who starts picking up momentum. Once the candidate is clear, I hope the ENTIRE Democratic Party gets on board. If the candidate is not "perfect" for progressives, or "perfect" for moderates, or "perfect" for AAs, or Latinos, or women, or young voters, etc, everybody has to set aside their purity and get out and vote.
          That's the place we find ourselves. Favorite candidate? Anyone running against trump.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
            Yet there are people attempting to place purity test on candidates. Tom Steyer was right during the last debate, everyone of the candidates in the field are better then Trump and it is time to put away any difference to ensure that Trump doesn't get another term.

Comment

Originally posted by elsid13 View Post

Yet there are people attempting to place purity test on candidates. Tom Steyer was right during the last debate, everyone of the candidates in the field are better then Trump and it is time to put away any difference to ensure that Trump doesn't get another term.
              A lot of historians blame the chaos of the 1968 Democratic Convention for the election of Nixon. Of course, you can hardly blame them, as RFK had been murdered only two months prior and replaced by pro-war Humphrey. Anyway, it shows what a chaotic convention can do. The Dems have to come together. Unfortunately, if the candidate is Bernie, I just can't see the Clinton crowd doing that. They're out for blood.

Comment

Bernie sucks. I'll vote third party before I vote Bernie.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                  All of this fearmongering from the big moneyed media outlets that Bernie would be a disaster is nonsense. Before we get into debating policies like Medicare for all, I’m focusing on who has a chance to beat trump with the electoral college and all the republican gerrymandering of the last 20 years.

Bernie speaks for the disenfranchised and actually has a record to back it up. Trump does a song and dance for the disenfranchised and convinces many he’s their guy despite being the most swampy President we’ve ever had - the difference being, instead of just doing what people are paying his admin to do, he’s also doing things that pay him directly.

There is a lot of crossover appeal for the two of them, enough so that Bernie could win over a lot of swing voters. The entrenched centrist democrats want to maintain a system that clearly isn’t working and hasn’t worked for 30 years. The party needs to go back to being a party of the people. People want, people need radical change. America is going downhill and it’s just getting more unequal with Trump.
                  I tend to disagree. Sadly, I actually think Bloomberg may end up being the best bet to win.

Comment

Originally posted by gob1gred View Post
                    Bernie sucks. I'll vote third party before I vote Bernie.
                    All are entitled to vote the way they please, but this right here is a large part of what's going to get Trump re-elected.

Comment

I am totally on board with many of Bernie's ideas. I've always felt that FDR had it right, but the Dems chickened out on his final analysis of what was needed and veered back to the center until, by Bubba's time in office, they had gone center-right. Unfortunately, I have to admit that now is not the time for many of these arguments (although I believe that, eventually, we'll get there). The key issue to hit Trump with is climate change:

Nearly seven in 10 (69%) voters are worried about climate change, including more than a third (35%) who are very worried. Voters say climate change is impacting U.S. agriculture (73%), extreme weather events in the U.S. (72%), the health of Americans (61%), the U.S. economy (59%), and their own family’s health (50%).

Seven in 10 American voters support government action to address climate change, including more than four in 10 (42%) who strongly support it. A large majority (71%) of voters supports establishing a national renewable portfolio standard (RPS) requiring 100% of electricity to be generated from renewable sources by 2050, and nearly half of voters (49%) would approve of the federal government using their tax dollars to help pay for the transition to 100% renewable-generated energy. Majorities say enacting a national 100% RPS would have a positive impact on the environment in the U.S. (77%) and the U.S. economy (61%), bring down electricity costs (61%), and benefit rural and farming communities (56%).

Some three-quarters of American voters (76%) say it’s important to invest in building infrastructure to be better able to withstand the effects of climate change; they also want upgrades to existing infrastructure (74%) and new infrastructure projects (75%) be built to withstand extreme weather, even when those upgrades come at a higher cost to taxpayers.
                      https://climatecommunication.yale.ed...limate-action/

Trump's position is that climate change is a "hoax."

Follow that up with healthcare:

Click image for larger version

Name:	9394-Figure-1.png?resize=1024,576.png
Views:	132
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	2571693

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post

All are entitled to vote the way they please, but this right here is a large part of what's going to get Trump re-elected.
                        Could be. That's why the Dems need to nominate Klobuchar or Petey B. Warren is toast, but if she somehow won the nomination, I'd vote third party then as well. She's worse than Bernie.

Comment

Could be. That's why the Dems need to nominate Klobuchar or Petey B. Warren is toast, but if she somehow won the nomination, I'd vote third party then as well. She's worse than Bernie.
                          Okay, but the calculus with Sanders and Warren needs to be whether or not they're worse than Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post

Okay, but the calculus with Sanders and Warren needs to be whether or not they're worse than Trump.

They'd be just as bad for the country as another four years of Trump would be. Swinging far left would only divide the country further. I can't in good conscience support that with my vote. Bernie Bros can eat a bag of dicks.

Comment

They'd be just as bad for the country as another four years of Trump would be. Swinging far left would only divide the country further. I can't in good conscience support that with my vote. Bernie Bros can eat a bag of dicks.
                              Bernie/Warren policies would be tempered by Congress and they would respect ours institutions, social norms and the law. Trump would further undermine all of that.

Comment

Working...
                              X