Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Philippines Tells U.S. It Will End Military Cooperation Deal

#Winning

The notice comes as President Rodrigo Duterte has been warming up to China and increasingly distancing Manila from the United States, its longtime ally.

MANILA — The Philippines said Tuesday it had officially informed the United States that it was scrapping a military pact that has given the longtime American ally a security blanket for the past two decades.

The notice to terminate the pact, the Visiting Forces Agreement, comes as President Rodrigo Duterte has warmed up to China while distancing himself from the United States, the Philippines’ former colonial ruler. The move also comes as the Philippines has shown increasing reluctance to stand up to China over its territorial claims in the South China Sea.

The agreement lets the United States rotate its forces through Philippine military bases. It has allowed for roughly 300 joint exercises annually between the American and Philippine militaries, said R. Clarke Cooper, the assistant secretary of state for political-military affairs. He told reporters Monday that the termination of the agreement would put those operations “at risk.”

The agreement still remains in force, but the notice to terminate it, delivered to the American Embassy in Manila, starts a clock under which it will remain in effect for 180 days before lapsing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/11/w...s-duterte.html

President Duerte says Trump can't change his mind, no matter what he does:

“Trump and others are trying to save the Visiting Forces Agreement. I told them, I do not want to. One is that Americans are very ill mannered. America is very rude. They are so rude."

He isn't concerned with a stronger China, either:

“They do not mean harm,” as long as “we do not also do something that is harmful to them.”

This is just the latest example of Trump's impact on the world. Even our closest allies are re-examining our relationship with them militarily. Technically, the agreement hasn't ended yet, but the clock is ticking. It will end in 180 days, which isn't a very long amount of time, and then what? The Pentagon is scrambling right now.

https://www.sourcepolitics.com/phili...china-instead/

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
      President Duerte says Trump can't change his mind, no matter what he does:

“Trump and others are trying to save the Visiting Forces Agreement. I told them, I do not want to. One is that Americans are very ill mannered. America is very rude. They are so rude."

He isn't concerned with a stronger China, either:

“They do not mean harm,” as long as “we do not also do something that is harmful to them.”

This is just the latest example of Trump's impact on the world. Even our closest allies are re-examining our relationship with them militarily. Technically, the agreement hasn't ended yet, but the clock is ticking. It will end in 180 days, which isn't a very long amount of time, and then what? The Pentagon is scrambling right now.

https://www.sourcepolitics.com/phili...china-instead/

Dude's clownhood secured.

I swear, the one time Trump's not furiously fellating the world's worst despotic douchebags, you suddenly demand to know why not.

TDS.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post

Dude's clownhood secured.

I swear, the one time Trump's not furiously fellating the world's worst despotic douchebags, you suddenly demand to know why not.

TDS.
        Well, at least you're now willing to admit tRump has a history of "fellating the world's worst despotic douchebags," so that's progress, I guess.

In any case, despotic douche bag or no, you're not seeing the bigger picture here (hint: win for China.)

Comment

Sounds good. I hear Chairman Xi invited Duterte to come over for a meeting, and join him in Wuhan. We're not the world's police force. Adios, amigos. However, I doubt that the economy of Manila is going to be happy when all the Americans leave.

Comment

Pakistan did a similar thing a couple of years ago. There were one too many drone attacks on civilian funerals and weddings -- and one too many tantrums and/or threats by a US officials.

There was not even a hiccup by the US media.

Comment

Working...
            X