Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Santa Claus Should Not Be a White Man Anymore....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by houghtam View Post

If your primary income were from a bunch of white tourists who can't imagine Santa as a Turk, wouldn't you? You're aware of this thing called marketing, right? It's because brainless ****s like you go to Turkey and want to buy overpriced souvenirs from "Santa's hometown".

He probably believes they celebrate Xmas as a holiday in Turkey.

Comment

If your primary income were from a bunch of white tourists who can't imagine Santa as a Turk, wouldn't you? You're aware of this thing called marketing, right? It's because brainless ****s like you go to Turkey and want to buy overpriced souvenirs from "Santa's hometown".

Says the unemployed popcorn popper cleaning man

Comment

Not that it matters much, but St Nicholas as a Turk takes far more imagination than you're attributing to anyone else.

That'd be like saying Sitting Bull was white because most of the people who now live where he did are white.

He was Greek. Obviously not like the pasty white fictional transfiguration we have today. But certainly not Turk.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
          Not that it matters much, but St Nicholas as a Turk takes far more imagination than you're attributing to anyone else.

That'd be like saying Sitting Bull was white because most of the people who now live where he did are white.

He was Greek. Obviously not like the pasty white fictional transfiguration we have today. But certainly not Turk.
          Yep.

I'm glad you were here to clear that all up for us. Why do you hate your white heritage so much to betray one of our favorite figures to the non-whites?

Comment

Yep.

I'm glad you were here to clear that all up for us. Why do you hate your white heritage so much to betray one of our favorite figures to the non-whites?
            Wait, are you removing the Greeks from European White society?

Comment

Wait, are you removing the Greeks from European White society?
              Where did I say European?

Comment

Where did I say European?
                Well in racial context, White and European are considered near synonymous.

But have it your way.

Why do you hate your white heritage so much to betray one of our favorite figures to the non-whites?
                Are Greek people not White?

Comment

Well in racial context, White and European are considered near synonymous.

But have it your way.

Are Greek people not White?
                  Find me someone of Greek heritage that will look at this picture and say, "Grandpa? Is that you?"

Furthermore, like the braindead txtebow, it seems you've missed the point as well. Read post #102, particularly the last two paragraphs.

Then report back to the class with your findings.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Do you have a link to his ethnic heritage?

Some of modern Turkey was part of the Greek empire, but a crossroads ('Asia Minor') of humanity....Goths, Persians, Kurds, Syrians etc. I'm curious.

Comment

• Originally posted by DenverBrit View Post
                      Do you have a link to his ethnic heritage?

Some of modern Turkey was part of the Greek empire, but a crossroads ('Asia Minor') of humanity....Goths, Persians, Kurds, Syrians etc. I'm curious.
                      Although I'm sure you know this, he's disingenuously referring to simple political boundaries, ie the 11th century Seljuk migration/invasion. But we all know that intermingling of ethnicities happens continuously and is more pronounced if you will in areas where vastly different ethnicities meet, like you mentioned. Same thing with Spain, and, much to txtebow's chagrin, in the US.

Of course, we all know anthropology not to be one of Beavis's strongpoints, so why he decided to weigh in on this discussion is beyond my comprehension.

Comment

Although I'm sure you know this, he's disingenuously referring to simple political boundaries, ie the 11th century Seljuk migration/invasion. But we all know that intermingling of ethnicities happens continuously and is more pronounced if you will in areas where vastly different ethnicities meet, like you mentioned. Same thing with Spain, and, much to txtebow's chagrin, in the US.

Of course, we all know anthropology not to be one of Beavis's strongpoints, so why he decided to weigh in on this discussion is beyond my comprehension.
                        I was in Turkey (Istanbul) last year for a couple of weeks. Historically, it's an amazing place. I can't think of a more interesting capitol to explore.

The ethnic diversity is everywhere, I was curious as to how Bevis narrowed St Nick's to Greek. As you say, political boundaries alone are too simplistic.

Using that criteria, much of 19th century India must have been be white.

Comment

I was in Turkey (Istanbul) last year for a couple of weeks. Historically, it's an amazing place. I can't think of a more interesting capitol to explore.

The ethnic diversity is everywhere, I was curious as to how Bevis narrowed St Nick's to Greek. As you say, political boundaries alone are too simplistic.

I guess that makes a relative of mine born in France in 1944 a German, too. A lot of spنtzl eaten in that household I'm sure

Comment

Ankara is Turkey's capital?

Comment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_N...ce_2009_121-16

Nicholas was born a Greek[12][13][14] in Asia Minor during the third century in the city of Patara (Lycia et Pamphylia),[15][16] which was a port on the Mediterranean Sea,[16] and lived in Myra, Lycia[17] (part of modern-day Demre, Turkey), at a time when the region was Greek in its heritage,[16] culture, and outlook and politically part of the Roman diocese of Asia.
                              St Nick was Greek. That much is fairly inarguable. Whether there was different ethnicity in the general region at the time could be argued. But that ethnicity being Turk of all things is impossible.

They didn't arrive in that region until many centuries later in the middle ages.

Comment

Coming from the guy who argued that the Orthodox St Nicholas was a Turk, this is beyond rich.

Best go back to your strong suit of arguing the Constitutionality of Sex Defined Bathrooms.

Comment

Working...
                                X