Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AI/Automation and China

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AI/Automation and China

    I know many of us were discussing this topic in a recent post but thought it was worthy of it's own thread after I watched the newest episode of Frontline the other day. I think after watching this, it could definitely change some opinions on the matter. What's happening in China is crazy, the level they are taking it to. China and the US are the 2 AI Superpowers, heading towards a major duel. This is a must watch.


    Full episode. Definitely worth the 2 hours. You'll understand the AI world, the key players and how important it is we (USA) and China get this right.

    https://www.pbs.org/video/in-the-age-of-ai-zwfwzb/

  • #2
    Top notch show. People need to watch this.....

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by elsid13 View Post
      Top notch show. People need to watch this.....
      Well, doesn't look like many people watched it. Too busy on twitter yelling at one another instead of learning something important about the future.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by ZONA View Post

        Well, doesn't look like many people watched it. Too busy on twitter yelling at one another instead of learning something important about the future.

        Yeah. True intellectual curiosity is to hard for most American the days. 80% job lose is due automation, we scream about off shoring. We are about to look like the English in the first industrial revolution and most dont care.

        Comment


        • #5
          China is coming hard on many fronts.

          Comment


          • #6
            China already is attaching Rail Guns to their Naval ships.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by OleNumber7 View Post
              China already is attaching Rail Guns to their Naval ships.
              They are attached tubes to their ships and calling them rail guns. Lots of propaganda come from the PLA.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by elsid13 View Post

                They are attached tubes to their ships and calling them rail guns. Lots of propaganda come from the PLA.
                Okay, when your house gets destroyed by a rail gun from a Chinese naval ship I'll make sure to pop in and say "Told you so"

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by OleNumber7 View Post

                  Okay, when your house gets destroyed by a rail gun from a Chinese naval ship I'll make sure to pop in and say "Told you so"
                  So I have been at the firing of the Navy Rail Gun ashore, and know how hard it is to convert the energy to push the rod forward. The Chinese are not that far ahead of us in this technology.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I haven't finished it yet, but it seems to fall into a lot of the same sensationalist tropes, and doesn't do enough to address the implicit limitations China has because of its hivemind culture and bureaucratic fiefdoms. AI will certainly give them more and more innovative ways to clamp down on the citizenry. Ironically, though, that clamping down will handicap it in keeping up with true innovation.

                    Much innovative thought is unpopular or controversial thought at first. Corrupt bureaucracies will always protect their interest, and will mold AI to the same ends. More powerful ways to enforce a central will will not make that central will more competitive. Only more controlling.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by elsid13 View Post

                      So I have been at the firing of the Navy Rail Gun ashore, and know how hard it is to convert the energy to push the rod forward. The Chinese are not that far ahead of us in this technology.
                      I thought the critical issues with rail gun technology were force (literally the force tears apart the weapons system) and energy (the weight and energy storage required to generate enough power to shoot the system aboard a mobile platform).

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by rmsanger View Post

                        I thought the critical issues with rail gun technology were force (literally the force tears apart the weapons system) and energy (the weight and energy storage required to generate enough power to shoot the system aboard a mobile platform).
                        Those are strong factors, but converting the power from operating the ship and its systems to power the gun are extreme challenge.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Rail guns are not sustainable at this point and their use is extremely limited in a military application. Like others said, the energy required is massive, but possible. The biggest problem is sustainability and application. The gun basically destroys itself quickly every shot fired. All of the energy (exceeding 3 km/s) applied to the projectile has an equal and opposite force on the barrel, thus destroying the gun from inside. Maintenance on this would be expensive and time consuming. Also, the projectile is non-explosive. Great for penetrating something (like a ship hull or bunker) but it doesn't have any guidance ability so really these would only be fired at fixed targets. Let's say you fire this at a building, it's not going to do that much damage, it's just going to go right through the building, leaving 1 foot sized holes through all the walls, nothing will blow up, just some very expensive holes remaining in the walls. Their best military application would be for sinking a sub or ship or direct line of sight fixed target.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by ZONA View Post
                            Rail guns are not sustainable at this point and their use is extremely limited in a military application. Like others said, the energy required is massive, but possible. The biggest problem is sustainability and application. The gun basically destroys itself quickly every shot fired. All of the energy (exceeding 3 km/s) applied to the projectile has an equal and opposite force on the barrel, thus destroying the gun from inside. Maintenance on this would be expensive and time consuming. Also, the projectile is non-explosive. Great for penetrating something (like a ship hull or bunker) but it doesn't have any guidance ability so really these would only be fired at fixed targets. Let's say you fire this at a building, it's not going to do that much damage, it's just going to go right through the building, leaving 1 foot sized holes through all the walls, nothing will blow up, just some very expensive holes remaining in the walls. Their best military application would be for sinking a sub or ship or direct line of sight fixed target.
                            The effect of 6 Mach plus rod will provide enough kinetic energy to destroy all targets and surrounding area.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by elsid13 View Post

                              The effect of 6 Mach plus rod will provide enough kinetic energy to destroy all targets and surrounding area.
                              Have you even seen a rail gun projectile hit targets or are you just imagining what it would do? When fired at steel plates, it can go through six 1/2 inch steel plates, but the hole is no larger than 1 foot. I've seen them go through reinforced concrete walls 1 feet thick, the holes are not that big, the rest of the concrete was still intact. These are penetrating projectiles, not at all for blowing up a large area, unless what it's hitting has explosives.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X