The Ohio Debate - thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Ohio Debate - thoughts

The first debate I've watched this year. Just some quick general thoughts the candidates.

Warren - Decent ideas, passionate, but very hard to watch her talk for any length of time. She repeats certain things over and over while trying to make a point, which is so phuckin annoying. Example "When I spoke with that mother who's child had cancer, when I spoke with that mother who's child has MS, when I spoke with that mother who's child has diabetes, when I spoke with that....." You get my point. Candidates are only give a short amount of time to say something, why waste half of it on repeating parts of your phrase over and over again? To me that demonstrates a lack of intelligence. It's one of the traits Trump has as well. Don't like her position on college debt cancelled, or medicare for all.

Biden - He's got nothing but the coattails of Obama going for him. He fumbles his words as bad as Trump. He's leading the polls because Obama picked him as VP, that's it. I wasn't impressed whatsoever. Do I think he could beat Trump, yeah, probably, but I would hope a younger person could beat him out. I'm so not loving politicians over 65. Their brains just don't work all that well, and that's for any party.

Sanders - Too far left for my personal taste on alot of issues, but he has more 'likability' than Biden and Warren. He definitely has a presence about him, he's clear and concise, but, nah, I'm just not for anybody who's wanting medicare for all and to relieve college debt. I like that he's against income inequality and big banks and all of that, just think he goes too far with some of it. Still, a way better option than Trump, but not my 1st choice, or 2nd, or 3rd.

Harris, Booker, Castro - Didn't even really seem to be truly interested in the nomination. It's almost if they are up there just gaining reputation for staying in congress or something.

Gabbard - Meh, not bad, not great. Maybe a little too young and naive. Trying way too hard to push 'commander in chief' angle. She didn't do herself any favors by admitting she was friends with Gowdy. She definitely lost me there, that guy is pure scumbag. That's going to cost her big time.

Yang - Kind of impressed by him actually. Presents himself well, has innovative ideas, thinks outside of the box, and really summarizes his views quickly. Probably not going to win this thing, but whoever does, should bring this guy aboard in some capacity.

Buttigieg, O'Rourke - I like some of their ideas, some I don't, both very aggressive, know they have to take some risks at this point. But I wouldn't count either guy out right now. They're fast thinkers and smart. They would take apart Biden and Trump in a head to head debate quite easy. I can see it now, Biden would just fumble for 20 seconds while his brain is trying to find the right word and Trump would just make some stupid face and shrug his shoulders and say something ultra vague but really really loud.

Steyer - Didn't get really much air time, but I thought he made the most of what little time he got. Really made it simple, all the topics up for discussion, big corp buying our government at every turn, from campaign fiance, to healthcare, etc. I want to say his lack of political experience could hurt him, but it didn't hurt Trump. And let's face it, American's are suckers for billionaires, and he's got more money than Trump.

Klobuchar - I don't know how she wins continually in red states, but she does. She's definitely a moderate I think, but if she wants to play ball at this next level, she needs to up her game.

All that said, I think Gavin Newsom would absolutely mop the floor with everybody listed above. But, he's not running. Is there some other dark horse that might jump in the next few months, probably not, you never know.

I personally feel Biden will get too many of the votes, more than he deserves, because people want somebody who can just beat out Trump. Hard to argue that angle, but after watching Trump talk and now some of the older Dem candidates, I'm really a firm believer in an age limit for judges/politicians. There should definitely be an IQ test also. Stop electing old slow thinkers and stupid low IQ people as POTUS. America, we can do better. POTUS needs to be under 60, you all know it.

My favorite candidate at this point, is Andrew Steyer, haha. If I could combine Andrew Yang and Tom Steyer into 1 person, that would be my guy.

The only one I am impressed with is Yang. He is direct and to the point and is about the only candidate that will actually answer a direct question with a direct answer. People like Warren keep repeating herself over and over to try to make a point so she doesn't have to directly answer the question.

Mostly I love seeing them fight with each other, just to watch Booker try to be the 'can't we all get along' guy. All I hear from him is, "We have one shot left to beat Trump, and all we're doing is up here fighting" maybe not a direct quote, but that's his answer nearly every time he got to talk.

Other than that, the panel is way too big to have a good debate. I did however enjoy Klobuchar going back and forth with Warren. She's got the biggest balls of any of the candidates up there.

Comment

I was shocked how far out of touch they most of them were when it came to the automation question. They don't understand what AI and other tech is about to do our economy. Biden is Biden, I like Joe but his time is behind him. Yang come across awkward on national security. Steyer was better then I thought.

Booker might be alright if he had the right team around him. If I combine Mayor Pete/Yang/Steyer and Booker together it would be winning candidate.

Comment

If you guys find a highlight real of yang’s Q&As from last night please do post.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post
          Gabbard - Meh, not bad, not great. Maybe a little too young and naive. Trying way too hard to push 'commander in chief' angle. She didn't do herself any favors by admitting she was friends with Gowdy. She definitely lost me there, that guy is pure scumbag. That's going to cost her big time.
          I'm reasonably certain you don't know any of these people well enough to categorize them on that level.

Comment

O'Rourke keeps giving Trump talking points. Needs to drop out and stop damaging the conversation. Passionate about the gun debate but not thinking clearly..
            Gabbard. the Dem version of Trump with attacks on the media ( which were mostly false) ,love for Assad ( and likley Putin). She has changed her postions too much over the last 4 -5 years for me to trust that she is not a fake liberal, but another isolationist. Attractive package that has alienated most of her own party. She should just admit she is really R-lite, and get out of the way too.
            Warren got caught by the refusal to answer how the medicare for all was to be paid for. She is strongly for going to bust up the Monopolies ( I like that ) and helping people, but her 2% wealth tax is not going to work either. Went all personal and petty when Biden said he helped her get votes for CFPB. Petty is not Presidential.
            Biden does have more experiencethan anyone and I trust his foreign policy experience the most....but seems to fumble his words and speech pattern showing likely age related dementia start. Would still vote for him over Trump/Pence Pompeo cartel. VP pick may be what gets him home. ( Klobuchar or Buttigieg?)
            Sanders too old and health issue is now a problem. Will stay in til the end likely, but has same issue as Warren. Medicare for all is a loser. Does have more energy than Biden.
            Yang. Has a good head but is a corporate backer as the way to get problem solving done. Universal income is probably a coming idea, but is not here yet. Has money enough to stick til after Iowa but should drop out by then.
            Buttigieg is positioning himself well, and did really well in the "debate". Has a better health plan than M For all and the brains to implement it. Rhodes scholar, vet, and is quick on his feet and in his answers.. Made NO mistakes, is a dark horse as Potus candidate, that is moving up . Probably a good VP pick for anyone if he can't make the Potus as he'll bring along most of the Midwest.
            Klobuchar is a good moderate similar to Biden in positions, like Buttigieg, but is not as quick thinking. Blue wall she talks about is kind of silly, but she does have Midwest roots. She did well last night but she is in danger of being dropped out since she just doesn't seem to "connect" with the audience like the others. Probably better in person but not a TV personality. I like her but she likely won't get past IOWA.
            Harris, Booker , Castro, and somewhat Steyer….playing for VP. Harris running 3rd in CA, Booker singing kumbaya, Castro trying for latino vote only. Steyer needs to flesh out his policy beyond dump Trump, although his diatribes against "evil corporations) rings true. Steyer could be a good adviser , cabinet level officer.

Of all I thought Buttigieg did the best , and will increase his poll numbers, knocking the third tier down and stealing from them to get closer to the front 3. Impeachment in congress is taking all the energy right now.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by elsid13 View Post
                  I was shocked how far out of touch they most of them were when it came to the automation question. They don't understand what AI and other tech is about to do our economy. Biden is Biden, I like Joe but his time is behind him. Yang come across awkward on national security. Steyer was better then I thought.

Booker might be alright if he had the right team around him. If I combine Mayor Pete/Yang/Steyer and Booker together it would be winning candidate.
                  I didn’t/won’t watch these, but what was said about automation?

Comment

Just saw Yangs answer. This ****in guy is so far off in the wild blue yonder. Ugh.

https://youtu.be/XbrDu8uWXCI

Comment

Make America Think Harder

Click image for larger version

Name:	images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQoPrnZOoNogwb_U8m07FSE8Y06icUA_gvIuSsWxqUFgOWVN6pV.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	2507363

Comment

Tulsi spoke the truth about Syria -- and has been smeared for it. The Democrats are the war party. The only time they supported Trump was when he bombed Syria...

The media have lied about the US presence in Syria. It was not to protect the Kurds. It was originally for regime chance -- though the "mission" wandered in various directions after Trump became president.

Comment

Pretty early to get all worked up.

Comment

Originally posted by mhgaffney View Post
                            Tulsi spoke the truth about Syria -- and has been smeared for it. The Democrats are the war party. The only time they supported Trump was when he bombed Syria...

The media have lied about the US presence in Syria. It was not to protect the Kurds. It was originally for regime chance -- though the "mission" wandered in various directions after Trump became president.
                            Give it up. No 39 year old female is going to be president. Not gonna happen.

Comment

Originally posted by spdirty View Post
                              Just saw Yangs answer. This ****in guy is so far off in the wild blue yonder. Ugh.

https://youtu.be/XbrDu8uWXCI
                              He just seems that way to people who can't understand the way things really are happening. In your clip, what about his response do you find off in the wild blue yonder? Automation is a huge problem we are facing right now, and it's going to get worse in the future. He stated some clear facts about truckin jobs in relation to this topic. You have to demonstrate a higher level of understanding.

Comment

Working...
                              X