I left the Republican party this year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I left the Republican party this year

I'd just had enough. Trump hasn't moderated like we'd hoped. Instead his supporters embraced his craziness. I'm tired of the their claiming credit for the economy, defending hiseendless lies and childish antics, and especially the racism. Out in the open racism. Trump won because people hated Hillary, and he wasn't her. Somehow the Republicans came to believe he won because the party wants to try fascism. They are acting like he's the gold standard of their ethics and morals and it's frankly disgusting. They're not even hiding behind (bad) policy with regards to things like immigration and minorities in general. Many are openly saying they want more white people in the country and fewer minorities.

I was proud of my Colorado Republicans for walking out of the convention when he was nominated. But it was time I make my own statement, so I changed to an independent, and I'll be voting for anyone running against Trump in the general election next year.

This was a move probably overdue in many ways. I'm an atheist now, and my experience overseas really affected my views on things like public transportation, gun control and human rights. Perhaps most enlightening is how I make more than my father did in real dollars and still can't afford a home here. I'm tired of companies squeezing us at all angles for every nickle and dime while they rapidly replace employees with AI. And the annoying thing is you can have socialized capitalism work and not turn into Venezuela or China.

I want to be clear I'm not in total support of Democrats on a variety of issues. I don't care for their identity politics, how their rank and file are as bad as the right wing extremists at dividing the country, their patronizing, how they think women's rights begins and ends at abortions, and how they genuinely believe they have all the answers.

Independence is where I feel most comfortable. But both parties can go Fuck themselves.

Good post and agree with a lot of it

Comment

I totally agree with your last sentence. I left the Republicans in 2007. The last Republican I voted for President was Dubya in 2004. The last Democrat was Obama in 2008.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
        I'd just had enough. Trump hasn't moderated like we'd hoped. Instead his supporters embraced his craziness. I'm tired of the their claiming credit for the economy, defending hiseendless lies and childish antics, and especially the racism. Out in the open racism. Trump won because people hated Hillary, and he wasn't her. Somehow the Republicans came to believe he won because the party wants to try fascism. They are acting like he's the gold standard of their ethics and morals and it's frankly disgusting. They're not even hiding behind (bad) policy with regards to things like immigration and minorities in general. Many are openly saying they want more white people in the country and fewer minorities.

I was proud of my Colorado Republicans for walking out of the convention when he was nominated. But it was time I make my own statement, so I changed to an independent, and I'll be voting for anyone running against Trump in the general election next year.

This was a move probably overdue in many ways. I'm an atheist now, and my experience overseas really affected my views on things like public transportation, gun control and human rights. Perhaps most enlightening is how I make more than my father did in real dollars and still can't afford a home here. I'm tired of companies squeezing us at all angles for every nickle and dime while they rapidly replace employees with AI. And the annoying thing is you can have socialized capitalism work and not turn into Venezuela or China.

I want to be clear I'm not in total support of Democrats on a variety of issues. I don't care for their identity politics, how their rank and file are as bad as the right wing extremists at dividing the country, their patronizing, how they think women's rights begins and ends at abortions, and how they genuinely believe they have all the answers.

Independence is where I feel most comfortable. But both parties can go **** themselves.
        I think many feel the same way, or at least close to it. I have voted for both Dems and Republicans in the past for POTUS. Even though I think my views align with Dems a bit more than Republicans, I always had high hopes for a lagit 3rd party to surface but that is never going to happen, especially with the recent Supreme Court ruling. Our politics are truly pathetic. This country has become slave to the corporate world and their endless need of higher profit margins quarter after quarter while giving very little thought to providing a better work experience and better life style for workers. Big Corporations aren't paying their share of taxes, or any at all in some cases, hiding money overseas, moving jobs overseas, and constantly neglecting the average worker and instead throwing the money at the already highest wage earners. Dems are not without any blame in all of this, but it's definitely mostly the Republican party pushing for even more corporate favoritism and increasing wage gaps, among the other things you mentioned. Fox News plays a huge role in all of this.

Comment

Good man.

Re: The Dems: Just keep in mind that there’s a broad spectrum there (from Chuck Schumer to AOC and all points in between.)

Not a monolith marching in lockstep behind a supreme leader like the GOP.

Comment

I find it funny the left squad agrees with you only based on distain for trump and nothing else sorry to hear you went to voting democrat as a resort, not a viable alternative imo but it's your decision.

I am also a independent and have been so for years trump may not be perfect but hes all the hope we have to head off progressivism which is the true enemy of our fine country.

Comment

I find it funny that you gathered this opinion given the posts made in this thread. I can tell that you didn’t read shit. Much like other threads mentioning trump/republicans, you are here white knighting once again; completely oblivious to anything that isn’t getting on bended knee shouting praises for that idiot in office.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronx33 View Post
                I find it funny the left squad agrees with you only based on distain for trump and nothing else sorry to hear you went to voting democrat as a resort, not a viable alternative imo but it's your decision.

I am also a independent and have been so for years trump may not be perfect but hes all the hope we have to head off progressivism which is the true enemy of our fine country.
                I truly doubt your're an independent. You may consider yourself one, but if you did one of those self political tests (www.isidewith.com), I bet your scores would totally indicate you are a full on Republican.

So I went through and did a test on that website. I thought my answers were pretty middle of the road, but based on the results of my answers and what the typical Republican answer is, it moved me to the left. If more of the typical Republican responses were moved towards the middle, my score would have been adjusted towards the middle as well.

So here are some of the questions and my answers. And there are usually a few answers in addition to YES and No.

* Should health insurers be allowed to deny coverage for pre-existing conditions? Most people would say No, as I did. But most Republicans votes yes on this. Can you imagine that? They prefer people be denied for coverage if they get cancer or something? What kind of backward ass person believes this crap? Well, we all know.

* Should the government hire private companies to run prisons? My answer was no. Prison for profit just doesn't work. All this does is create lobbyists for prison corporations to lobby for stronger penalties and longer prison sentences, just so they can make more money. Typical Republican answer? You guessed it, was Yes.

* Should the US assassinate suspected terrorists in other countries? My answer was 'Yes, but only if there is evidence they are planning to attack our country'. Typical Republican answer is Yes.

* Should the President be able to authorize military force against Al-Qaeda without congressional approval? My answer was No. I think congress should always have a say in these matters. Typical Republican answer was Yes.

* Should the US raise taxes on the Rich? My answer was 'No, lower the income tax and remove all existing tax loopholes for large corporations'. The typical Republican answer was No.

* Should the government increase funding for mental health research? My answer was 'No, instead incentivize private companies to address this'. I figured most Republicans would answer the exact same way I did because this is their answer to gun deaths, that it's a mental health issue and not a 20 trillion guns to choose from problem. But, no, there answer was just straight No. They just choose not to address this issue at all, from any direction I guess.

* Do you support increasing taxes on the rich in order to reduce student loan interest rates? I said No, but we should still reduce those insane interest rates. Republicans just said No. I'm fine with that one though.

* Should the government pay for tuition at 4 year colleges? I said No. Same with R's

* Should US remain in United Nations?. I said Yes, R's said No.

* Should convicted criminals be allowed to vote? I said 'Yes, but not convicted violent crimes'. R's just said No.

* Should police officers be required to wear body camera? I said yes, R's said No.

* Should photo ID be required to vote? I said yes, same with R's

* Should Muslim immigrants be banned from entering the country until screening improves? I said No, R's said yes. Should we then ban all christians until the catholics can stop child molestations? I don't favor any answer leaning towards banning anybody based on a religion, even though I am not religious. To each their own. R's of course said Yes.

* Should the US build a wall along the southern border? I said No, but increase military presence along the border. R's said Yes.

* Do you support Nuclear energy? I said yes. R's were about even on this.

One cool thing about this site, based on all the answers you give, it will give you the candidates (no matter which party) that closest match your answers. So if there are ton of candidates and you don't know which to choose from, this site should help at least aim you in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by IQ33
                  I find it funny the left squad agrees with you only based on distain for trump...
                  You say that like it’s a bad thing.

Comment

"Disdain" isn't the right word for me. Try abhorance.

Comment

Just gonna leave this here...

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...t-enough-laugh

... for the resident right-wingers, the Guardian is not an American newspaper...

Comment

IQ33 thinks he’s an independent!!

Comment

Originally posted by peacepipe View Post

IQ33 thinks he’s an independent!!
                          I know. Talk about a thigh slapper.

Comment

External validation is a hell of a drug.

Comment

The country was equally fascist under the Democrat Obama. Six of one, half a dozen of another.

Comment

Working...
                              X