Generation Z

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generation Z

Not the Millennials - the next generation, and I got to thinking about this as our eldest turns 21 this fall.

She was born a few months before Columbine so she's always had lockdown drills.

She wasn't quite 3 on 9/11. Then we started the War of Terror. We've been at war ever since.

She's never been to church, because my wife and I are atheists.

Google has always existed for her. Same with Amazon.

She doesn't watch TV at all. Her cyberexistence is as big as her real life.

She doesn't have a driver's license. My wife and I harangue her to get one, but she hasn't.

Different kids.

Holy ****. My oldest turned 16 last November and I am shocked that he hasn’t even went to get a permit. When I turned 15 all I wanted to do was work so I had my own money, drive so I had the freedom to go where I wanted, and get laid.

They also have no no interest in TV. They play sports but in terms of watching it they’d rather check the score on their phone than see what’s actually happening.

Comment

Generation Z Looks a Lot Like Millennials on Key Social and Political Issues

Among Republicans, Gen Z stands out in views on race, climate and the role of government

Click image for larger version

Name:	PSDT_1.17.19_generations-00.png
Views:	123
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	2449583

Comment

Originally posted by spdirty View Post
        Holy ****. My oldest turned 16 last November and I am shocked that he hasn’t even went to get a permit. When I turned 15 all I wanted to do was work so I had my own money, drive so I had the freedom to go where I wanted, and get laid.

They also have no no interest in TV. They play sports but in terms of watching it they’d rather check the score on their phone than see what’s actually happening.
        Yep. It was a race between me and all my friends as to who could get their license exactly on their birthday, which meant you had to get your learner's permit no later than exactly six months before. I forgot by a month but still beat my best friend by a week. And since I was born in November, I was one of the earlier kids to drive. Sweeeeeeeet!

Kids today?

Meh.

TV to them is as radio for entertainment (besides music and talk, i.e., Amos-n-Andy, Burns and Allen, etc.) is to us.

Comment

The majority of old people (Silent gen) approve of the job Trump’s been doing, even as he seeks to cut Medicare? What morons...

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
            The majority of old people (Silent gen) approve of the job Trump’s been doing, even as he seeks to cut Medicare? What morons...
            The "Silent gen" are the Faux fans to a "T".

Their influence (being older and whiter and richer) is far out of proportion to their numbers.

https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...e-baby-boomers

Click image for larger version

Name:	FT_18.02.15_GenerationsBirths_projected.png
Views:	120
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	2449632

Comment

Originally posted by W*GS View Post
              Not the Millennials - the next generation, and I got to thinking about this as our eldest turns 21 this fall.

She was born a few months before Columbine so she's always had lockdown drills.

She wasn't quite 3 on 9/11. Then we started the War of Terror. We've been at war ever since.

She's never been to church, because my wife and I are atheists.

Google has always existed for her. Same with Amazon.

She doesn't watch TV at all. Her cyberexistence is as big as her real life.

She doesn't have a driver's license. My wife and I harangue her to get one, but she hasn't.

Different kids.
              It's going to be interesting. I think previous generations wanted a drivers license because they needed to get to work and wanted to move out of the house. In Generation Z's defense they do have uber/lyft. Not exactly the answer if you don't have any ambition to work or earn money. I'm seeing more 25 and even 30 somethings still sucking the financial tit of parents.

TV has shifted. We grew up on it but we didn't have net flix. I barely watch TV and if I do it's a Broncos game or some college ball.

I think there is a going to be a massive shift in real estate. The millennials hammered retail/big box. Golf course property is already feeling it. The millennials which have been slow to marry/have kids are suddenly finding themselves in these urban cubicles wondering where to go. They've enjoyed non stop happy hours and riding around on scooters and don't want to give that up.

Does generation Z even want to go to college? They seem less interested? I know they want and think they deserve it for free. lol

I get a kick out of the millennials who already want to be retired and have oh and ZERO in savings, don't own a house, don't even have a car paid for. They're going to have a HUGE wake up call when the next recession hits. It's much easier to skate by during the good economic times.

Comment

The rungs on the ladder to the American dream have been kicked out, one by one. America can no longer provide a vision of the future for its own children. Why should their children have children? Their communities are drowning in opioids and meth. The children stare at screens to hide from reality, clinging to one another through the shimmering blue digital fog. The parasites are draining America's carcass of every last drop of life's blood before they flee to their high security offshore enclaves. Climate change is about to unleash its chaos on the world and the parasites have no intention of allowing any response that might negatively impact their profits. We are at the tipping point...

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it."
                Last edited by Rohirrim; 04-13-2019, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Meck77 View Post

It's going to be interesting. I think previous generations wanted a drivers license because they needed to get to work and wanted to move out of the house. In Generation Z's defense they do have uber/lyft. Not exactly the answer if you don't have any ambition to work or earn money. I'm seeing more 25 and even 30 somethings still sucking the financial tit of parents.

TV has shifted. We grew up on it but we didn't have net flix. I barely watch TV and if I do it's a Broncos game or some college ball.

I think there is a going to be a massive shift in real estate. The millennials hammered retail/big box. Golf course property is already feeling it. The millennials which have been slow to marry/have kids are suddenly finding themselves in these urban cubicles wondering where to go. They've enjoyed non stop happy hours and riding around on scooters and don't want to give that up.

Does generation Z even want to go to college? They seem less interested? I know they want and think they deserve it for free. lol

I get a kick out of the millennials who already want to be retired and have oh and ZERO in savings, don't own a house, don't even have a car paid for. They're going to have a HUGE wake up call when the next recession hits. It's much easier to skate by during the good economic times.
                  I get a kick out of old farts railing on about younger generations without a clue as to what they’re talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by W*GS View Post

Yep. It was a race between me and all my friends as to who could get their license exactly on their birthday, which meant you had to get your learner's permit no later than exactly six months before. I forgot by a month but still beat my best friend by a week. And since I was born in November, I was one of the earlier kids to drive. Sweeeeeeeet!

Kids today?

Meh.

TV to them is as radio for entertainment (besides music and talk, i.e., Amos-n-Andy, Burns and Allen, etc.) is to us.
                    Well, it’s a testament to the greatness of this country and the constant improvements to the standard of living that we continue to enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post

I get a kick out of old farts railing on about younger generations without a clue as to what they’re talking about.
                      So which parts of my post do you not agree with? How old are you little grasshopper?

Comment

Just wait until neural implants make school and college obsolete.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
                          The rungs on the ladder to the American dream have been kicked out, one by one. America can no longer provide a vision of the future for its own children. Why should their children have children? Their communities are drowning in opioids and meth. The children stare at screens to hide from reality, clinging to one another through the shimmering blue digital fog. The parasites are draining America's carcass of every last drop of life's blood before they flee to their high security offshore enclaves. Climate change is about to unleash its chaos on the world and the parasites have no intention of allowing any response that might negatively impact their profits. We are at the tipping point...

"The world is changed. I feel it in the water. I feel it in the earth. I smell it in the air. Much that once was is lost, for none now live who remember it."
                          No. Empowered women don’t have kids at a sustainable rate. So when you empower women your fertility rate ****s the bed. Disempower women if you want your fertility rate to go up. It’s no more complicated than that.

I really dont want to turn this thread into that discussion, but it’s like an involuntary twitch I have if anyone talks about why our fertility rate sucks.

Comment

So which parts of my post do you not agree with? How old are you little grasshopper?
                            It’s pretty much all wrong just like most the diatribes old people have gone on about younger generations. For instance, Millenials and Gen Z people mostly end up staying at home more because the cost of living has sky-rocketed while wage growth has stagnated. As far as my age goes I’m nearly 40.

Comment

Student loan debt has a tendency to be a big cause of that. Plus some of those kids had the bad luck to enter the job market in 2006-2009, during the Bush Depression.

Originally posted by Meck77
                              Gen Z knows financial worry - they were kids in 2006-2009.

Comment

Working...
                              X