Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Warning: No posts mocking gender, race, or sexual preference. (UPDATED)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
    I’m still waiting for argument for why it’s so offensive while idiot, imbecile, and moron are not. As far as I can tell it’s a purely arbitrary differentiation that you just expect others to accept.
    Ask the parent of a child with Down Syndrome.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheElusiveKyleOrton View Post
      Yet you're the only one who ignored someone. Hmm.

Like cutthemdown, you're charmin-soft.
      I iggyed you for the very behavior you want banned.

Certainly didn't beg for mod protection from the big bad namecallers.

Comment

Have you apologized to any parents of children with Down Syndrome yet?

Comment

I’m asking you. Don’t cop out.

Comment

• Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
            Because I don't usually get as personal as some others.

My main contention though is that while they often deserve the bans they get, clowns like Steps and Labron get away with much more just based on, I guess, expectation, or maybe ideological interpretation.
            Unfortunately for you, your claims re: the things I have allegedly "gotten away with" are based on outright lies.

Comment

I iggyed you for the very behavior you want banned.

Certainly didn't beg for mod protection from the big bad namecallers.
              Wanna know why I call you stupid?

At no point have I 'begged' for anything. This thread is about mocking people for things they cannot control. Someone having a mental disability is one of those things, so I asked about having a filter for that. Never asked for the person using it to be banned... in fact I specifically said that shouldn't happen.

This is why I call you stupid. Because of your wanton stupidity.

Comment

Wanna know why I call you stupid?
                Not really. TBNT

Comment

Have you apologized to any parents of children with Down Syndrome yet?

I've done one better, and eliminated the terminology from my vocabulary. If asked, I would gladly apologize to the parents of a child with Down Syndrome for using an epithet a few years ago.

Comment

Not really. TBNT
                    You don't want to know, because you know I'm right.

Soft.

Comment

I've done one better, and eliminated the terminology from my vocabulary. If asked, I would gladly apologize to the parents of a child with Down Syndrome for using an epithet a few years ago.
                      Last one was less than two years ago. Right before your self-imposed year of exile. Remember?

But hey, if you've really turned a new leaf, good on ya. Except I find this kind of false-distinction-making from a name-calling flamer like yourself more likely an act of false piety than anything meaningful.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agamemnon View Post
                        Are you trying to argue some sort of objective truth to the word’s offensiveness? Because I don’t find it offensive in the slightest. As far as it being removed from government documents goes, what does that prove? Lots of words are deemed unsuitable for government documents. Should they all be banned from the OM? Also can you please explain why retard is worse than imbecile or moron? Or do you want those words banned as well?
                        Because children with Down's syndrome and some with cerebral palsy are classified as retarded. They are slower at brain functions. Imbecile and moron are people who portray themselves as slower, more idiotic, but are not classified as retarded. They just choose to act that way and no parent of a retarded child wants their child classified as an imbecile or moron or idiot. It's hurtful. It's bad enough their child has this condition but most are loved and people can see the good in them. So don't use their classification so they are lumped with Nyuk, Falco, Yoda, etc. who have no excuse for their idiocy.

Comment

• https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imbecile

The term imbecile was once used by psychiatrists to denote a category of people with moderate to severe intellectual disability, as well as a type of criminal.[1][2] The word arises from the Latin word imbecillus, meaning weak, or weak-minded. It included people with an IQ of 26–50, between "idiot" (IQ of 0–25) and "moron" (IQ of 51–70).[3] In the obsolete medical classification (ICD-9, 1977), these people were said to have "moderate mental retardation" or "moderate mental subnormality" with IQ of 35–49.
                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moron_(psychology)

Moron is a term once used in psychology and psychiatry to denote mild intellectual disability.[1] The term was closely tied with the American eugenics movement.[2] Once the term became popularized, it fell out of use by the psychological community, as it was used more commonly as an insult than as a psychological term. It is similar to imbecile and idiot.
                          Nothing more than the Church of PC Piety of the Day.

Comment

• these people were said to have "moderate mental retardation"
                            The reason for such classification is to avoid the other words. And not all retarded children would be classified imbecile, or moron, or idiot.

Comment

Captain Pedant, reporting for duty.

Comment

• Originally posted by gunns View Post
                                The reason for such classification is to avoid the other words. And not all retarded children would be classified imbecile, or moron, or idiot.
                                None of them would be classified as 'retards' anymore either, as already alluded to.

Just like those other terms, the 'industry' moved away from using it as society reappropriated it. Isn't the first time. Won't be the last.

Comment

Working...
                                X