Douglas County, CO schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Douglas County, CO schools

The conservatives who control the board have neutered the teachers union, prodded neighborhood elementary schools to compete with one another for market share, directed tax money to pay for religious education and imposed a novel pay scale that values teachers by their subjects, so a young man teaching algebra to eighth graders can make $20,000 a year more than a colleague teaching world history down the hall. Conservatives across the US see Douglas County as a model for transforming public schools everywhere.
    http://www.politico.com/story/2013/1...#ixzz2jhLzYbSy

Math teachers should be paid the most for the simple reason that Math is universal. A prime number in China is the same as a Prime number here.

Comment

Sounds like their doing good things over there. Let's face it. The educational system isn't working. We're falling behind the rest of the world. I applaud trying something new. shake up the system.

On a totally different angle to this subject. I bet this is also changing the landscape of the real estate market.

Comment

The Koch Bros. again. "Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?"

I find it counter-productive to put people who are opposed to science in charge of education.

Comment

I'd bet you are right.

We're falling behind the rest of the world because we do not put the onus on the student. We nanny them too much and they grow up in many cases untested. We cater to the lowest-common denominator and I thank God everyday that I was blessed enough to get an education at a private school.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
            The Koch Bros. again. "Will no one rid me of this turbulent priest?"

I find it counter-productive to put people who are opposed to science in charge of education.

I find that "science", like religion, is something people use to support their argument in the moment. If you truly believe in "Science" then you must acknowledge that many of our social programs violate the study of human behavior, which is a subset of biology.

Comment

Originally posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
              I find that "science", like religion, is something people use to support their argument in the moment. If you truly believe in "Science" then you must acknowledge that many of our social programs violate the study of human behavior, which is a subset of biology.
              I meant specifically that the Koch Bros. are doing everything in their power to squash hard core, scientific evidence of global climate change while simultaneously purporting to stand for better education. It's complete and total bull****. What the Koch Bros. want is stupid people they can manipulate. They don't want "better" education. They want ideological education. Big difference. They know that anybody with even marginal critical thinking skills would throw their asses in prison.

Comment

Originally posted by TonyR View Post
                The conservatives who control the board have neutered the teachers union
                Awesome, this is a good start.

Comment

They have disciplines dedicated entirely to studying human behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
                    I meant specifically that the Koch Bros. are doing everything in their power to squash hard core, scientific evidence of global climate change while simultaneously purporting to stand for better education. It's complete and total bull****. What the Koch Bros. want is stupid people they can manipulate. They don't want "better" education. They want ideological education. Big difference. They know that anybody with even marginal critical thinking skills would throw their asses in prison.
                    Hilarious you make the "politicized education" argument and then hinge it all on Global Warming.

You know, as a nation, we'd be far better off if our average kid new more about calculus than the latest Green flavor du jour.

Like I've said before... the fact that national teachers' unions have pro-abortion language in their platforms tells you everything you need to know about their educational goals.

Comment

Back to the lefty vs. righty thing again when it should be about our children. It never ends.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
                        Back to the lefty vs. righty thing again when it should be about our children. It never ends.

Comment

Math teachers should be paid the most for the simple reason that Math is universal. A prime number in China is the same as a Prime number here.
                          We all know the Head Football Coach (also the DriversEd instructor) will always make more than the Art teacher, it's just a matter of priorities.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco Yoda View Post
                            It started as a lefty vs righty thing. They tipped that hand with language like "neutered"

In most circles, paying a teacher in an in-demand field more than one in another field of their own choosing isn't in any way controversial.

Comment

Is it so much lefty/righty as it is the free market religion vs. critical thinking?

We should let the market decide which subjects are most important for our children to learn? Really? Why? Because the end product is to produce good worker drones? Jefferson thought that every school day should begin with an hour of music. WTF was he thinking? Music is worthless.

Comment

Working...
                              X