Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.S. Budget Deficit Down, Lowest in 5 Years

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
    First, we must address the false religion of a "pure" capitalism. Capitalism, like any other system devised by man, is inherently flawed. We have enough history to know that laissez faire capitalism leads to the kind of income disparities that lead to social upheaval. In other words, no society can sustain it for long, at least without resorting to a police state. This is the bush we keep beating around. We have an entrenched, ideologically based political wing that is fanatically wedded to the dogma of laissez faire capitalism, and the majority of them are the dupes of corporate sharks who are getting reamed by the economics. They are the equivalent of modern ghost dancers.

    Look what happened within two years of the U.S. taking down Glass/Steagle? Now we have corporations laying off a third of their workforce, piling that work onto the shoulders of the two thirds left, reducing their wages, and then using the leftover money to buy back stocks and give themselves more money. Research? Zip. New equipment and building? Zip. This has become the basic workings of our economy.

    If you explained it to a third grader, they'd think you were insane.
    Actually my four year old has it down pretty well already, thanks to the good Doctor.

    "Business is business, and business must grow, regardless of crummies in tummies, you know."

    Comment


    • #62
      Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
      First, we must address the false religion of a "pure" capitalism. Capitalism, like any other system devised by man, is inherently flawed. We have enough history to know that laissez faire capitalism leads to the kind of income disparities that lead to social upheaval. In other words, no society can sustain it for long, at least without resorting to a police state. This is the bush we keep beating around. We have an entrenched, ideologically based political wing that is fanatically wedded to the dogma of laissez faire capitalism, and the majority of them are the dupes of corporate sharks who are getting reamed by the economics. They are the equivalent of modern ghost dancers.

      Look what happened within two years of the U.S. taking down Glass/Steagle? Now we have corporations laying off a third of their workforce, piling that work onto the shoulders of the two thirds left, reducing their wages, and then using the leftover money to buy back stocks and give themselves more money. Research? Zip. New equipment and building? Zip. This has become the basic workings of our economy.

      If you explained it to a third grader, they'd think you were insane.

      Laisez-faire == opposite side of the coin to communism. Both are fatally flawed ideas. Someplace in the middle, favoring capitalism (i.e. what we did from 1930-1980) is what has proved to be the best solution so far. Too bad even that center-right philosophy is now called "marxism" by the rabid right.

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by alkemical View Post
        You are full of logical fallacies. You don't fact check anything.

        Go 'Murica!
        "A Chicken in Every Pot and Toyota in every Driveway so long as we cut out those Eleventy Trillion Bajillion Katrillion Dollars in Corporate Welfare!"

        As usual, the easy fixes are too good to be true.

        Comment


        • #64
          Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
          "A Chicken in Every Pot and Toyota in every Driveway so long as we cut out those Eleventy Trillion Bajillion Katrillion Dollars in Corporate Welfare!"

          As usual, the easy fixes are too good to be true.
          You're the one supporting government subsidies which lead to the demand of public welfare programs, refusing to even examine data based upon your illusory fallacy of a presumed ideological position. You've been conned and you don't even see it, then you doublespeak yourself creating your own hypocrisy. You're a shining example of the Idiocracy and why fascism is winning.

          Comment


          • #65
            Originally posted by alkemical View Post
            You're the one supporting government subsidies which lead to the demand of public welfare programs, refusing to even examine data based upon your illusory fallacy of a presumed ideological position. You've been conned and you don't even see it, then you doublespeak yourself creating your own hypocrisy. You're a shining example of the Idiocracy and why fascism is winning.
            I'll put it more bluntly:

            Beavis is a rube.

            Comment


            • #66
              Originally posted by alkemical View Post
              You're the one supporting government subsidies which lead to the demand of public welfare programs, refusing to even examine data based upon your illusory fallacy of a presumed ideological position. You've been conned and you don't even see it, then you doublespeak yourself creating your own hypocrisy. You're a shining example of the Idiocracy and why fascism is winning.
              Never said anything about supporting subsidies. Just about diving into an argument with fantasmical amounts of exaggeration and hyperbole.

              Government is a balancing act. Its impossible to strike a decent balance with people keeping score based on make-believe numbers.

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
                Never said anything about supporting subsidies. Just about diving into an argument with fantasmical amounts of exaggeration and hyperbole.

                Government is a balancing act. Its impossible to strike a decent balance with people keeping score based on make-believe numbers.
                You have supported those policies. What's make believe? Prove the data is flawed.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Originally posted by alkemical View Post
                  You have supported those policies. What's make believe? Prove the data is flawed.
                  Prove we don't spend 16 times as much on corporate subsidies as on defense? Do you know how completely impossible that is?

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    That's a lazy response, and also illustrates you believe things without facts.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X