Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

U.S. Budget Deficit Down, Lowest in 5 Years

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Arkie View Post
    The debt is real and unsustainable. At some point, we'll be forced into a partial default where some bond holders won't get their interest payments on time.
    IMO, the number one item on the agenda is getting the country back to work and getting the engine of the economy fired up again. That means getting rid of trade deals that export jobs. Write new deals, and new laws, that bring jobs home and protect our jobs and markets. Here's what comes first: Benefit the people of the U.S. Stop putting the interests of multi-national corporations first. It's risky doing business. If you fail. You fail. Tough. Nobody ever seems to worry when a large swath of Americans lose their jobs over market forces. When it happens to banksters and Wall Street, we're supposed to bail them out? WTF?

    It also means the Right Wing fanatics have to stop throwing wrenches into the economy every couple of months. Austerity in down times destroys economies. That much is clear. Stop blaming everything on SS and Medicare while we carry the most bloated military budget on Earth. SS has been creating surpluses for years. Those surpluses were stolen to fund tax breaks for the rich. It pays a pittance to the elderly and poor. To go after that first shows a miserliness of spirit that America should be ashamed of. Take away those 50% tax breaks on the rich. The top one percent has raked in 95% of the recovery over the last few years. That should be embarrassing to those in leadership positions. Means test SS and Medicare.

    Of course, nothing is going to happen while our government is for sale to the highest bidder. We are where we are now because greedy bastards wrote the legislation (and deregulation) that made them rich while making our country weaker by destroying the livelihoods of many of our countrymen. While we let it continue, it will only get worse. As we speak, the House is showing strong bipartisan support to pass the complete emasculation of the already too weak Dodd/Frank regulations with a new bill written by Wall Street and the banksters, putting us right back on schedule for more casino bubbles and crashes.
    Last edited by Rohirrim; 10-31-2013, 04:49 PM.

    Comment


    • #32
      lol...let's just assume those numbers are correct. 680 Billion is more than double in 2005. Hmmm what happened in 2006?

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
        lol...let's just assume those numbers are correct. 680 Billion is more than double in 2005. Hmmm what happened in 2006?
        IDK, what spending bills did GWB sign into law?

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
          IMO, the number one item on the agenda is getting the country back to work and getting the engine of the economy fired up again. That means getting rid of trade deals that export jobs. Write new deals, and new laws, that bring jobs home and protect our jobs and markets. Here's what comes first: Benefit the people of the U.S. Stop putting the interests of multi-national corporations first. It's risky doing business. If you fail. You fail. Tough. Nobody ever seems to worry when a large swath of Americans lose their jobs over market forces. When it happens to banksters and Wall Street, we're supposed to bail them out? WTF?

          It also means the Right Wing fanatics have to stop throwing wrenches into the economy every couple of months. Austerity in down times destroys economies. That much is clear. Stop blaming everything on SS and Medicare while we carry the most bloated military budget on Earth. SS has been creating surpluses for years. Those surpluses were stolen to fund tax breaks for the rich. It pays a pittance to the elderly and poor. To go after that first shows a miserliness of spirit that America should be ashamed of. Take away those 50% tax breaks on the rich. The top one percent has raked in 95% of the recovery over the last few years. That should be embarrassing to those in leadership positions. Means test SS and Medicare.

          Of course, nothing is going to happen while our government is for sale to the highest bidder. We are where we are now because greedy bastards wrote the legislation (and deregulation) that made them rich while making our country weaker by destroying the livelihoods of many of our countrymen. While we let it continue, it will only get worse. As we speak, the House is showing strong bipartisan support to pass the complete emasculation of the already too weak Dodd/Frank regulations with a new bill written by Wall Street and the banksters, putting us right back on schedule for more casino bubbles and crashes.
          While your "tax breaks for the rich" recording is cute. You do highlight a fundamental problem with SS. Its basically been a huge codified slush fund for federal government. By law that's all it really could be. So we gathered all that promise money and spent it. Or "invested" it in Obamaspeak. Regardless there is no return on that spending that can now be used to pay it back. So what was once an asset is now a liability. No matter how much the left wants to act like those IOUs in the drawer are worth something.

          This is why retirement funds should be earmarked in accounts for retirees. The government's investment methods don't serve anyone (except the government) well.

          Comment


          • #35
            Rho your plan would most likely send prices skyrocketing with inflation as corporations were forced by law to return manufacturing to the USA. Not to mention our workforce not skilled like the Chinese when it comes to assembling electronics.

            Comment


            • #36
              Food stamps shouldn't be cut. Just not enough money there to make a huge difference. Not fair to make kids go hungry because their parents can't feed them. Not in this country people. Cmon this is America we are rich enough to feed everyone under 18 whose parents can't get it done.

              Having said that they will need to extend retirement a few yrs for the ones that do work hard. Sucks but the only place to grab money is from the people who work for a living. I wish you could just tax the rich, but there just isn't enough of the super rich, and their money isn't easy to get from them. Liberals have to admit that their party is unwilling to really tackle spending.

              Comment


              • #37
                This did make me think of something I haven't thought of before.

                Looks like last year we spent $78 billion on food stamps.

                Most recent estimates of the cost of 'the uninsured' to hospitals at around $50 billion.

                Just something to think about next time someone decides to argue how insignificant food stamp spending is.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by BBII View Post
                  This did make me think of something I haven't thought of before.

                  Looks like last year we spent $78 billion on food stamps.

                  Most recent estimates of the cost of 'the uninsured' to hospitals at around $50 billion.

                  Just something to think about next time someone decides to argue how insignificant food stamp spending is.
                  Food stamps going up, wages and jobs not. A liberal democrats paradise.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Pitiful Socialists celebrating the 5th highest annual government deficit in the history of the world, after their hero broke records with > $1T deficits in the previous four.

                    Despite Obama and Harry Reid's attempts to lock-in trillion dollar deficits with spending increases, the House has successfully kept spending flat, even reducing spending with the bi-partisan sequester.

                    Hopefully by next year federal spending will decrease to 19% (historical 30-year average).

                    However, as interest rates rise, debt service payments will skyrocket.
                    Last edited by pricejj; 11-02-2013, 09:07 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by BBII View Post
                      Stupid move, as I've said a time or two before.
                      The 2009 Recovery Act’s temporary boost to Supplemental Nutrition SNAP benefits was not meant to go on forever.

                      A reduction of 6% annually (not even close to historic benefits levels) is not the doomsday scenario that Socialists would have you believe.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by pricejj View Post
                        The 2009 Recovery Act’s temporary boost to Supplemental Nutrition SNAP benefits was not meant to go on forever.

                        A reduction of 6% annually (not even close to historic benefits levels) is not the doomsday scenario that Socialists would have you believe.
                        I agree, it's not.

                        But it's also not worth giving away the talking point while there's SO much other fat to trim.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Originally posted by BBII View Post
                          I agree, it's not.


                          But it's also not worth giving away the talking point while there's SO much other fat to trim.
                          Sooner or later, it will be necessary to make all entitlement programs sustainable.

                          The Socialist 'talking points' are worthless.

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Originally posted by pricejj View Post
                            Sooner or later, it will be necessary to make all entitlement programs sustainable.

                            The Socialist 'talking points' are worthless.
                            Meanwhile, your fascist corporatism is doing such a good job of making a very small sliver of people very rich.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
                              Meanwhile, your fascist corporatism is doing such a good job of making a very small sliver of people very rich.
                              . YOUR fascist corporatism is doing quite well in the Obama economy.

                              Government is supposed to exist to create an environment in which free market economies can exist...not to create give zero-interest loans and taxpayer 'stimulus' to banks and other crony capitalists.

                              Obama, Reid, Pelosi, and Bernanke are some of the worst criminals in American history.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Originally posted by peacepipe View Post
                                IDK, what spending bills did GWB sign into law?
                                None. It was in 2006 when the Democrats took control of congress that deficit spending increased. By 2008 it had increased 400 percent to 1.2 Trillion.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X