Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scientists discover what’s killing the bees and it’s worse than you thought

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Scientists discover what’s killing the bees and it’s worse than you thought

    http://qz.com/107970/scientists-disc...n-you-thought/


  • #2
    We need less regulation, not more! Besides, the bee problem is obviously a government-concocted scheme to get more money out of the taxpayer. Look, you can even see live bees in that very picture you posted! Nothing to see here, folks!

    Comment


    • #3
      You mean we can't just spray fungicides and pesticides all over our environment with impunity? That's weird. Fortunately, the corporations who control our government, like Monsanto, don't have to worry about this ****.

      Bee populations are so low in the US that it now takes 60% of the country’s surviving colonies just to pollinate one California crop, almonds. And that’s not just a west coast problem—California supplies 80% of the world’s almonds, a market worth $4 billion.
      Somebody is knocking on the door, humanity. Keep pretending your not at home.

      Comment


      • #4
        bees are like trees and polar bears, who needs them! stupid liberals....

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Rigs11 View Post
          bees are like trees and polar bears, who needs them! stupid liberals....
          What's funny is you think there's some sort of turnkey solution that da librals have on the shelf. Does Potato Famine sound like an acceptable alternative? Fungicides, like most agricultural advancements, will inevitably have side effects. So far the good far outweighs the bad.

          We learn, we run into new challenges, we try to address them, and we move on. The world as it stands could not function under this organic-agrarian pipe dream so many people subscribe to.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
            What's funny is you think there's some sort of turnkey solution that da librals have on the shelf. Does Potato Famine sound like an acceptable alternative? Fungicides, like most agricultural advancements, will inevitably have side effects. So far the good far outweighs the bad.

            We learn, we run into new challenges, we try to address them, and we move on. The world as it stands could not function under this organic-agrarian pipe dream so many people subscribe to.
            It can also not function without bees.

            Oh, and coral reefs. And trees. And atmosphere. And water.

            Comment


            • #7
              So it is a giant wielding a mean looking ice pick. IT.ALL.MAKES.SENSE.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
                What's funny is you think there's some sort of turnkey solution that da librals have on the shelf. Does Potato Famine sound like an acceptable alternative? Fungicides, like most agricultural advancements, will inevitably have side effects. So far the good far outweighs the bad.

                We learn, we run into new challenges, we try to address them, and we move on. The world as it stands could not function under this organic-agrarian pipe dream so many people subscribe to.
                What caused the blight?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
                  What's funny is you think there's some sort of turnkey solution that da librals have on the shelf. Does Potato Famine sound like an acceptable alternative? Fungicides, like most agricultural advancements, will inevitably have side effects. So far the good far outweighs the bad.

                  We learn, we run into new challenges, we try to address them, and we move on. The world as it stands could not function under this organic-agrarian pipe dream so many people subscribe to.
                  bs.you righties don't want to address shet.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Rigs11 View Post
                    bs.you righties don't want to address shet.
                    Heh. Truth of the matter is, many progressives only like theoretical improvement. Because theory rarely exhibits real-world drawbacks. Once that theory is driven into production, however, they become aghast at the imperfection of it all and start dreaming about the future again (at the expense of the present)

                    Irony is, this method of progressivism only leads to paralysis. We need to figure out how to accommodate the bees for sure. But it can't be at the cost of the return of large-scale agricultural blight.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
                      Heh. Truth of the matter is, many progressives only like theoretical improvement. Because theory rarely exhibits real-world drawbacks. Once that theory is driven into production, however, they become aghast at the imperfection of it all and start dreaming about the future again (at the expense of the present)

                      Irony is, this method of progressivism only leads to paralysis. We need to figure out how to accommodate the bees for sure. But it can't be at the cost of the return of large-scale agricultural blight.
                      Yes, because large scale blight will affect a large amount of people for a relatively short amount of time. No bees, on the other hand, that will only affect everyone everywhere forever.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        The arrogance and stupidity of man will cause him to live in conflict with nature until nature finally wins and does away with man.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
                          The arrogance and stupidity of man will cause him to live in conflict with nature until nature finally wins and does away with man.
                          Assuming we are the only planet with "man". Who's to say their isn't intelligent live out there? Are we really that special here on little ole Earth?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Rohirrim View Post
                            stupidity of man
                            I would argue that we have too much intelligence for our own good.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              organic farming methods wont produce another dust bowl due to the dead soil that erodes.

                              organic farms are also more drought resistant and have shown (see rodale's 30yr study) greater prooduction.

                              blight can be combated in a number of organic methods: crop rotation being one of them. using aact, will breed a larger more diverse colony of bacteria, fungus and protoza which can also out compete the pathogen.

                              part of the issue with the potato famine/blight was due to monoculture methods, coupled with the serf rules placed upon the irish from the british crown (see corn laws) and the exportation of food from british owned assets in ireland, to british interests.

                              by citing the potato famine as an example of a failure of organic farming is incorrect. monoculture, with little diversity creates stressors that enable disease to become more rampent.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X