How Walmart Destroyed America and Built China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Walmart Destroyed America and Built China

Walmart's explosive growth has gutted two key pillars of the American middle class: small businesses and well-paying manufacturing jobs.

Between 2001 and 2007, some 40,000 U.S. factories closed, eliminating millions of jobs. While Walmart's ceaseless search for lower costs wasn't the only factor that drove production overseas, it was a major one. During these six years, Walmart's imports from China tripled in value from $9 billion to $27 billion.

Small, family-owned retail businesses likewise closed in droves as Walmart grew. Between 1992 and 2007, the number of independent retailers fell by over 60,000, according to the U.S. Census.

Their demise triggered a cascade of losses elsewhere. As communities lost their local retailers, there was less demand for services like accounting and graphic design, less advertising revenue for local media outlets, and fewer accounts for local banks. As Walmart moved into communities, the volume of money circulating from business to business declined. More dollars flowed into Walmart's tills and out of the local economy.
    http://www.commondreams.org/view/201...vKo0w.facebook

Comment

You can go to WalMart.com and order any set tires you want at a bargain price, not just the ones they carry at the store. WalMart will deliver them to the nearest store with no delivery charge and also mount them for free.

Awesome ..... is this a great country or what?

Comment

Originally posted by Requiem View Post
        I almost had the right hand column, the tear-drop tattoo has so far eluded me.

Comment

Originally posted by Pony Boy View Post
          You can go to WalMart.com and order any set tires you want at a bargain price, not just the ones they carry at the store. WalMart will deliver them to the nearest store with no delivery charge and also mount them for free.

Yes and nothing bad can come from buying everything at a bargain price. Just close your eyes and consume!

Comment

Between 2001 and 2007, some 40,000 U.S. factories closed, eliminating millions of jobs. While Walmart's ceaseless search for lower costs wasn't the only factor that drove production overseas, it was a major one. During these six years, Walmart's imports from China tripled in value from $9 billion to $27 billion.
            China loves them some Dubya.

Comment

And the vast majority of the money in that transaction goes to two destinations: The Walton Family, and China. Almost nothing is returned to the community.

It's a completely short sighted, unsustainable arrangement. I'll gladly pay a bit more for my goods if it helps keep people employed. The cheapest available prices are pointless if no one has a job anyway.

Comment

Adapt or die. That's a science for some of you people.

Comment

Originally posted by Fedaykin View Post
                  And the vast majority of the money in that transaction goes to two destinations: The Walton Family, and China. Almost nothing is returned to the community.

It's a completely short sighted, unsustainable arrangement. I'll gladly pay a bit more for my goods if it helps keep people employed. The cheapest available prices are pointless if no one has a job anyway.
                  Yeah, cause Walmart doesn't employ anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by 55CrushEm View Post
                    Yeah, cause Walmart doesn't employ anyone.

If you want to call it "employment..."

Comment

Originally posted by Fedaykin View Post

Not really the cost to deliver the goods and stock the shelves employs a lot of people nation wide ............ It's probably Spider that drives the truck that delivers my tires to Walmart now do you want to take food off his table?

Comment

Not really the cost to deliver the goods and stock the shelves employs a lot of people nation wide ............ It's probably Spider that drives the truck that delivers my tires to Walmart now do you want to take food off his table?
                        Meanwhile, here in reality, half of Sprawl-Mart's employees are eligible for food stamps, and anti-tax Teapublicans like you are apparently happy to foot the bill for them.

Comment

The bottom line for Wal-Mart is low prices. It lures shoppers more concerned with saving money now than they have been in over a decade. Wal-Mart's advantage is they are able get products that most Americans need from a manufacturer into a customer's trunk cheaper than any other retailer.

Comment

Originally posted by L.A. BRONCOS FAN View Post
                            Meanwhile, here in reality, half of Sprawl-Mart's employees are eligible for food stamps, and anti-tax Teapublicans like you are apparently happy to foot the bill for them.
                            And the beauty of Wal-Mart's success is they probably also get most of the food stamps run back through their stores because the recipients know where to get the most value for our tax dollars we are handing to them for free.

Comment

The bottom line for Wal-Mart is low prices. It lures shoppers more concerned with saving money now than they have been in over a decade. Wal-Mart's advantage is they are able get products that most Americans need from a manufacturer into a customer's trunk cheaper than any other retailer.
                              Yup. And never mind the fact that the money people save here and other places, is more money that they can spend elsewhere to....gasp....support ANOTHER business.

Comment

Working...
                              X