No announcement yet.

Should the Redskins change their name?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should the Redskins change their name?

Here is the actual question that I am asking:

Should the Washington Redskins change their name.

The question is not: Should they have to change their name?

It is also not: Should someone make them change their name?

It is also not: How do you think Dan Snyder feels about this? Do you think he would want to do it?

This is also not a debate about free speech and/or private property. It is obvious that since that team has operated under that name for a very long time that they are legally entitled to continue using that name. So this is not a question of law, it is an "ought" to thing.

You could reinterpret the question as: Given the facts of the situation and given how you feel about it personally, do you think that the Washington Redskins ought to change their name?

I'm not here to place any judgement, I just want to see how the board feels and I want to avoid some of the frequent pitfalls of asking questions like this and how the responses can be skewed by a misinterpretation of the question.

Feel free to qualify your vote with words.
    No
    64.20%
    Yes
    35.80%

No and the only reason we are discussing this is because the overly zealous liberals who have nothing better to do with their time than make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Comment

Originally posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
      No and the only reason we are discussing this is because the overly zealous liberals who have nothing better to do with their time than make a mountain out of a mole hill.
      This

Comment

What are the odds that Mike Florio is Logicalvoice?

Comment

I voted yes, but barely so. I hate how a bunch of uppity white people are driving the change. I hate the PC crowd supports the change. I hate that it's something that doesn't really harm anyone. The word is use in a positive way. They are supporting that group. I don't believe the team's existence encourages racism or people to treat Native Americans poorly. I think the press and a bunch of liberal jerk-wads are driving for the change.

That said, objectively speaking, the name is really stupid. There are a number of team names that can be used to reference the many Native Americans that are better words than "Redskin." I mean really when you step back and look at that, it's stupid. And the whining and crying will never stop until they do. So I would say change it to save yourself from the headache, and because they name was pretty stupid to begin with.

Comment

Option C: I don't care

Bonus gif action!

That was a great movie!

Comment

don't care...what happened to the other thread?

Comment

People are normally resistant to change. It's especially true, in this case. Changing the name of a franchise that has been in existence for over 80 years is a difficult thing to do. It may have started out as a racial slur, but I don't think anybody, today, sees it as anything but a name. Plus, "Hail To The Redskins" is a great fight song. Leave it alone. It's not like they are trotting out a Native American mascot and buffooning him (ala Charlie Chaplin). Everything I've seen actually CELEBRATES the Native culture...

Comment

They'll give in. They always do. This is America - the more offended you claim to be the more political capitol you have.

Comment

my thread rulezor delete this crapzzzzzz

Comment

They should change their name to the Washington Washington's and have a big ol picture of George Washington on their helmet.

Comment

I'd have to see the numbers. Do we make money on the name change, or do we lose money.

Comment

If you could make money on new merchandise, and win from a PR standpoint Snyder fighting it could be a mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by ludo21 View Post
                            my thread rulezor delete this crapzzzzzz
                            lol

you're poll was asking something completely different, just wanted to take an OM snap shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Requiem View Post
                              They should change their name to the Washington Washington's and have a big ol picture of George Washington on their helmet.
                              Brilliant!

Comment

Working...
                              X