Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Commercial for fellow parents and fat people

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Commercial for fellow parents and fat people

    <iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sIE1jzG_eHI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

    Kind of unnecessary to take shots at video games though.

  • #2
    I hope Americans will start to get serious about obesity.

    It's the one area of political correctness that I just don't get (most other overtly politically correct statements at lease have a rhyme and reason that I can sort out) - the whole "I'm fat and proud" thing.

    It's one thing to be unhealthily skinny... it's the exact same thing to be unhealthily overweight. This sort of thing contributes to America's competitiveness overseas in ways that people wouldn't expect, and I'm not even talking about our reputation that we're a bunch of overworked, fat, gun nuts. It's a top reason (among others) while healthcare is so expensive in this country.

    Aside from that, the whole fat debate really should be about health. People should want to be healthy.
    Last edited by Mogulseeker; 08-11-2014, 03:32 PM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Wall E could be accurate.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Mogulseeker View Post
        I hope Americans will start to get serious about obesity.

        It's the one area of political correctness that I just don't get (most other overtly politically correct statements at lease have a rhyme and reason that I can sort out) - the whole "I'm fat and proud" thing.

        It's one thing to be unhealthily skinny... it's the exact same thing to be unhealthily overweight. This sort of thing contributes to America's competitiveness overseas in ways that people wouldn't expect, and I'm not even talking about our reputation that we're a bunch of overworked, fat, gun nuts. It's a top reason (among others) while healthcare is so expensive in this country.

        Aside from that, the whole fat debate really should be about health. People should want to be healthy.
        Healthy at any size!

        Or whatever they tell people.

        Comment


        • #5
          Di-A-betus!

          Action, you had no problem with them showing all the horrible accounts of how he got to be 300 pounds but playing excessive video games is the problem you had with the video? When you play a marathon video game, are you eating a nice salad with lite dressing on it? How about some horrible fast food type food while you play? Seems very logical that video games sure doesn't help you keep your weight down.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by broncocalijohn View Post
            Di-A-betus!

            Action, you had no problem with them showing all the horrible accounts of how he got to be 300 pounds but playing excessive video games is the problem you had with the video? When you play a marathon video game, are you eating a nice salad with lite dressing on it? How about some horrible fast food type food while you play? Seems very logical that video games sure doesn't help you keep your weight down.
            I'm so grateful I never got caught up in gaming culture.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by TheReverend View Post
              I'm grateful I did. Some of the best times.
              I mean, I can understand the appeal, and if I did get into it, I'd probably enjoy it. That's why I don't.

              There's just too many mountains to ski, music to make, things to learn (science, philosophy, mathematics.... COURSERA), for me to spend my time doing that.

              But to each his own.

              Video games wont make you a better person... but I guess neither does skiing or making music, so I digress.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mogulseeker View Post
                I hope Americans will start to get serious about obesity.

                It's the one area of political correctness that I just don't get (most other overtly politically correct statements at lease have a rhyme and reason that I can sort out) - the whole "I'm fat and proud" thing.

                It's one thing to be unhealthily skinny... it's the exact same thing to be unhealthily overweight. This sort of thing contributes to America's competitiveness overseas in ways that people wouldn't expect, and I'm not even talking about our reputation that we're a bunch of overworked, fat, gun nuts. It's a top reason (among others) while healthcare is so expensive in this country.

                Aside from that, the whole fat debate really should be about health. People should want to be healthy.
                I think one problem is too many people are focusing on the aesthetic and attraction of being skinny. People are often frustrated because they can't be supermodel skinny, or have a professional athletes physique, so they don't try to just be healthy. They can't get to the extremes of fitness and good looks, so why try. People eat one piece of cake so they keep going and eat 5 pieces (just did that today at work). If you can't run a marathon, why run 2 miles or even walk 1-2 miles.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by sgbfan View Post
                  I think one problem is too many people are focusing on the aesthetic and attraction of being skinny. People are often frustrated because they can't be supermodel skinny, or have a professional athletes physique, so they don't try to just be healthy. They can't get to the extremes of fitness and good looks, so why try. People eat one piece of cake so they keep going and eat 5 pieces (just did that today at work). If you can't run a marathon, why run 2 miles or even walk 1-2 miles.
                  So by your account, if you cant be a supermodel or say Mr. UNIVERSE, YOU WILL THEN BECOME A FAT SLOB LIKE THE GUY IN THE VIDEO? Got it.

                  Sorry for capitalization. Didnt realize it but me being 206 pounds, I am not at tje ability to go back and fix it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Mogulseeker View Post
                    I mean, I can understand the appeal, and if I did get into it, I'd probably enjoy it. That's why I don't.

                    There's just too many mountains to ski, music to make, things to learn (science, philosophy, mathematics.... COURSERA), for me to spend my time doing that.

                    But to each his own.

                    Video games wont make you a better person... but I guess neither does skiing or making music, so I digress.
                    True story: video gaming is associated with superior laparoscopy skills. I actually submit a copy of this journal article with my receipts to write-off game consoles.

                    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17309970

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
                      True story: video gaming is associated with superior laparoscopy skills. I actually submit a copy of this journal article with my receipts to write-off game consoles.

                      http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17309970
                      Theres also literature in the geriatrics field showing improvement in several cognitive tasks/skills associated with video games

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Last edited by Zealot; 08-12-2014, 08:53 AM.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          It's a combination of a terrible unhealthy diet and lack of exercise. Both combined is a deadly mistake and is no doubt going to both cause premature death and limit the happiness in one's life. And I entirely agree most of where this comes from is parents who simply take the short cut on meal planning and proper exercise for their children.

                          But I also don't think there needs to be 20 fastfood chains within a square block in most cities. There is such a thing as conditioning one to this lifestyle. When every corner you look around there are adds thrown in your face to eat slop, it's hard for many people to resist. Go into a Circle K or 7 eleven and you see a small bowl of fruit, a few health bars and the rest of the store is candy, cookies, snacks, soda, donuts, etc. Again, everywhere you turn, there's JUNK calling out to you.

                          The drug companies are absolutely loving this culture.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by sgbfan View Post
                            I think one problem is too many people are focusing on the aesthetic and attraction of being skinny. People are often frustrated because they can't be supermodel skinny, or have a professional athletes physique, so they don't try to just be healthy. They can't get to the extremes of fitness and good looks, so why try. People eat one piece of cake so they keep going and eat 5 pieces (just did that today at work). If you can't run a marathon, why run 2 miles or even walk 1-2 miles.
                            Well thin is more attractive than fat, so it makes sense.

                            Most super models have frames that allow them to be that skinny. Most people don't have those frames. Doesn't bother me... I'm certainly not a model, and you don't have to look like a model for me to find you attractive.

                            I can't run a marathon in my present shape. I run 10ks all the time.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Smoking in my experience is far worse problem than obesity. Not downplaying the problems that come with obesity (especially morbid and supermorbid obesity), but smoking just wreaks more havoc than anything.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X