thinking of getting my real estate license

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinking of getting my real estate license

anyone have any tips on this? live in florida and considering doing online class, as well as study to get my license. i have no doubt ill pass the test on my 1st or 2nd try, but im more concerned about after you get it, what is the usual plan of action at that point, anyone here in real estate with some hints or tips?

look for how long you have to "work" for a broker (paying that broker) a monthly fee for access to MLS and other resources. If you know someone that you might want to work at that's always a plus. Good luck.

Comment

Getting with the right broker is certainly key to success at least starting off. Many will charge you 50% of each deal you do with little to no monthly fees. As your business builds they will work with you to reduce their take but then you pay more out of pocket. My first gig I negotiated an 80/20 split but was working under a buddy and he got me up to speed real fast. I worked for him for about 9 months then broke off on my own. Good way to learn and not starve starting off. Real estate ISN'T a part time job starting off. It can be after 10 years or so IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Meck77 View Post
        Getting with the right broker is certainly key to success at least starting off. Many will charge you 50% of each deal you do with little to no monthly fees. As your business builds they will work with you to reduce their take but then you pay more out of pocket. My first gig I negotiated an 80/20 split but was working under a buddy and he got me up to speed real fast. I worked for him for about 9 months then broke off on my own. Good way to learn and not starve starting off. Real estate ISN'T a part time job starting off. It can be after 10 years or so IMO.
        This mans opinion is about the only one I would trust!

Comment

thanks meck, i have a masters in exercise science now (what a waste) and just considering my options to go out and get soemthing else maybe, transition to a higher paying career even if its completely outside the realm of what i do.

how do you find the right broker, know if they are good etc? do they provide leads or is that all on you? any other tips so maybe i can figure out if this is a good way to go? real estate down here (fort lauderdale to boca raton) is booming as always.

Comment

[QUOTE=tsiguy96;4156865]thanks meck, i have a masters in exercise science now (what a waste) and just considering my options to go out and get soemthing else maybe, transition to a higher paying career even if its completely outside the realm of what i do.

how do you find the right broker, know if they are good etc? do they provide leads or is that all on you? any other tips so maybe i can figure out if this is a good way to go? real estate down here (fort lauderdale to boca raton) is booming as always.[/QU

I would talk to people you know in the industry and sit down with as many of the designated brokers as you can and INTERVIEW them! It's a two way street in real estate. The key to starting out depending on your financial situation is learning the ropes first. You have to be able to navigate around a contract and help your buyers and sellers make informed decisions. Leads are obviously important but they will come with time.

Ten years ago for instance sellers had no idea what their home was worth. These days with zillow and trulia most sellers have a general idea so that helps going in to a listing appointment. Every Seller in the history of the world thinks their house is worth more than it really is. That's just the way it is.

Once you know the ropes there are tons of ways to gather leads. One way to do is albeit spendy is to purchase the zipcode you want to work from zillow for instance. Buddy of mine is doing that and his cell phone is blowing up with dozens of leads per day. He doesn't even have the time to work them all.

I'm actually heading to Boca next weekend! Never been there. As far as "Boca" being hot. That isn't always the case. When I started in Denver 2001 denver was crawling. We got rocked from 9-11 and a lot of people lost their jobs in the tech sector. Things picked up then got smashed again in 2008. Now it's on fire again but the builders are ramping up construction. Inventory will spike again and the fed will have to raise rates again bringing this run to a hault.

One thing I've always told home buyers is this. Can you rent the house our you want to buy for the mortgage amount? If the answer is no you are setting yourself up for some risk.

With that being said I'm off to Denver to work a land deal.

Tsiguy message anytime.
            Last edited by Meck77; 08-17-2014, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X