The worst Ebola outbreak in history - it's on the move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Archer81 View Post
    We are not the only species that does that. Just sayin.

Really, name one.

Comment

Well, there are a lot of invasive species that exist that do have adverse impacts on the ecosystems they are in. Most of the invasive species are animals that were brought from one place to another. It is on a very minute scale in comparison to the horrors humans bring upon the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
        I cannot believe some of you actually agree with Mr. Smith.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-Na9-jV_OJI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

When I'm unplugged and flying through the air in my duster coat, you can bet I am going to use my matrix magic to make your heads into poop so people will know you're full of it.
        You would really think an AI with access to the kind of computing power the Matrix has to offer would be sharper on basic taxonomy.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBeavis View Post
          This is far from the only credible prediction.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/101018722

And considering the UN typically seems to thrive on dire prognostications, I'd recommend looking at second opinions.
          So, basically the green UN prediction?

Comment

Originally posted by Kaylore View Post
            Not to mention we're still paying farmers not to grow food. We're nowhere close to meeting our maximum output for food production. The US alone could feed the entire planet if all the farming capabilities were active and optimized. The biggest issues with starvation are logistical and deal with poor infrastructure and low-tech or completely absent food delivery technology.
            We might be able to do it for a few years, but it's not a sustainable idea. Even with significantly less than max output we are depleting fresh water and top soil resources at a high rate. Problems that are only going to get worse as we increase production and climate is changed.

Comment

Originally posted by baja View Post
              Really, name one.
              methane-belching microbes

Comment

Originally posted by SleepingTiger View Post
                so which one u got?
                We got her an S&W .38 special, double action. She is 71 and it kicks her a little bit but after about the 5th time to the range she handles it pretty well.

Comment

Originally posted by Arkie View Post
                  Pretty sure my Dad has colonies of those in his intestines.

Comment

Originally posted by cutthemdown View Post
                    Spoken like a true liberal. **** people it's all about the Earth and the trees.
                    Take it easy there Hoss. I'm pretty sure that 99.999999% of Democrats don't want to have the human species annihilated from earth. Don't be as stupid as the post you were responding to.

Comment

• Originally posted by kappys View Post
                      I've never heard that prediction.

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/ActiveA...ory?id=9330511

The rate of life expectancy improvements is slowing significantly - but this should surprise no one. The biggest increases in life expectancy are really a result of declines in infant/child and also young adult mortality.
                      I should have clarified "life expectancy" vs how long one one could expect to live.

They sound the same, the the former is skewed, like you said, by infant mortality, and the other is more the average lifespan of a healthy adult.

You should also factor the Pearson skewness coefficient and truncate either end. Perhaps taking the median or the middle quartile would be a more accurate representation.

All things equal, a millennial alive today can expect to have a shorter life than his X-er parents.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mogulseeker View Post
                        I should have clarified "life expectancy" vs how long one one could expect to live.

They sound the same, the the former is skewed, like you said, by infant mortality, and the other is more the average lifespan of a healthy adult.

You should also factor the Pearson skewness coefficient and truncate either end. Perhaps taking the median or the middle quartile would be a more accurate representation.

All things equal, a millennial alive today can expect to have a shorter life than his X-er parents.

Comment

• Originally posted by ZONA View Post
                          Basically you have one outlier skewing the data, so you need to analyz the data by getting rid of the outlier.

Comment

• Originally posted by rmsanger View Post
                            The worst thing that ever happened to earth was human reproduction... This is one option that may help equal the equation.
                            yes, yes... quite so. If you want to help fix the problem the first thing you do is kill yourself, amirite?

Comment

• Originally posted by baja View Post
                              Really, name one.

Bacteria. Plants. Cows. Western forests are dying out from beetle kill. Was that a serious request?

Comment

• Originally posted by rmsanger View Post
                                The worst thing that ever happened to earth was human reproduction... This is one option that may help equal the equation.
                                I know who you really are.

Comment

Working...
                                X