The worst Ebola outbreak in history - it's on the move

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
    so that begs the question, how did these doctors become infected? Were they swapping spit with their patients? I'd love to hear how these doctors contracted ebola if it only spreads via bodily fluids and from a person who is displaying all the classic signs of infection...
    Who knows, it could be saliva or sweat, but a lot of the Ebola problem is also due to the political situation. Entire villages think doctors bring the disease and actually fight them off. If this was an airborne situation, you'd probably see the rate of infection increase even more.

Comment

The whole "You should make out with me to absorb my healing magic" plan they opened with didn't help things, I heard....from DMac...

Comment

It usually starts in the Congo or Uganda, and it stays contained. This is the first time it's started this far west, and it's spreading to Lagos - pop. 20 million.

Comment

Originally posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
          so that begs the question, how did these doctors become infected? Were they swapping spit with their patients? I'd love to hear how these doctors contracted ebola if it only spreads via bodily fluids and from a person who is displaying all the classic signs of infection...
          Any number of ways actually when you are working directly in contact with an infected patient in less than western standard sanitary conditions.

Comment

I don't know if this is it or not but but " King " has it right.

This will be our not to distant future.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KQX4N5mt_Yg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>:

Comment

Originally posted by DenverDynamite View Post
              Any number of ways actually when you are working directly in contact with an infected patient in less than western standard sanitary conditions.
              Dude must never watch walking dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
                Car wrecks are the result of human error / neglect and are completely avoidable. Globally they kill about 1.2 million people per year. They injure or disable about 20 million people per year. Imagine if a virus wreaked this kind of havoc. There would be global panic to the point of societal collapse. Yet, nobody bats an eye about getting in a car.
                I get it, I am just a stat to you.

Just a meaningless stat!

No one cares, time to turn on some Depeche Mode...

Comment

Originally posted by Quoydogs View Post
                  I don't know if this is it or not but but " King " has it right.

This will be our not to distant future.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KQX4N5mt_Yg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>:
                  My favorite novel of his. One of my favorite novels period. Great book.

Also, I skimmed the main page and thought this thread was titled, "Florida - it's on the move"

I need some sleep.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverDynamite View Post
                    It is actually a very difficult disease to spread. It is spread via bodily fluids, it is not air borne, and, because it is so nasty it immobilizes and kills its host so quickly that it does not have time to spread. Furthermore, the infected are only contagious when they are showing symptoms, i.e. fever, vomiting diarrhea, etc. so the infected are less likely to travel.
                    Finally look at the infected region; these people not only have extremely limited access to health care, they probably have limited access to soap.
                    Yep, Ebola is particularly nasty, but its nature also limits its ability to create a pandemic (though certainly doesn't preclude it).

The biggest issue causing spread in this outbreak is the delusional, paranoid folks, much like Baja, who think that the people trying to help contain the spread have ulterior motives. Hell one thing I heard is that people think the doctors won't allow people to take their loved one's dead bodies because of cannibalistic rituals.

Comment

Originally posted by Fedaykin View Post
                      Yep, Ebola is particularly nasty, but its nature also limits its ability to create a pandemic (though certainly doesn't preclude it).

The biggest issue causing spread in this outbreak is the delusional, paranoid folks, much like Baja, who think that the people trying to help contain the spread have ulterior motives. Hell one thing I heard is that people think the doctors won't allow people to take their loved one's dead bodies because of cannibalistic rituals.
                      I would think even a 3rd world cannibal would have 2nd thoughts about chewing on some Ebola infested meat.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
                        Car wrecks are the result of human error / neglect and are completely avoidable. Globally they kill about 1.2 million people per year. They injure or disable about 20 million people per year. Imagine if a virus wreaked this kind of havoc. There would be global panic to the point of societal collapse. Yet, nobody bats an eye about getting in a car.
                        I doubt there would be "societal collapse" over 1.2 million. The 1918 influenza pandemic killed almost 50 million and we kept going

not that your post makes any sense anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by extralife View Post
                          I doubt there would be "societal collapse" over 1.2 million. The 1918 influenza pandemic killed almost 50 million and we kept going
                          People knew how to live with death back in those days. It was part of every-day life.

Without even getting into all the media flame-fanning.

These days, if something really serious hits, the panic will be unlike anything we've ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by extralife View Post

not that your post makes any sense anyway.
                            Lol. You are citing a pandemic that required a multi-national propaganda effort in order to suppress social unrest, in an era where news was obtained by paper.

Comment

I know this sounds really bad, but the earth probably could use a few million less humans.

Comment

Originally posted by ZONA View Post
                                I know this sounds really bad, but the earth probably could use a few million less humans.
                                The way our population is growing we're probably gonna see large pandemics/famines in our lifetime. Could have around 11 billion humans on the earth by the '40's/'50's.

Anyone know what the max sustainable population is supposed to be? I've heard its technically less than half of where were at now.
                                Last edited by ShiftyEyedWaterboy; 07-29-2014, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X