Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heavy boxing bag: good cardio + muscle tone ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heavy boxing bag: good cardio + muscle tone ?

Hey I just got a 100lb heavy bag and bag hanger. I'm thinking its good for a cardio work out that tones muscles as well. Was I right? Anyone know any good exercises to do with the heavy bag? Its funner than running on the tread mill and doesn't damage the knees like running does.

I bought one about 12-13 years ago. My intention was to have a fun workout that allowed me to blow off some aggression. I was running 4-5 miles per day, but hated every minute of it. So I went to some local sports store and came home with a heavy bag and some cheap boxing gloves. I quickly learned some salient points:

1. Learn how to correctly throw a punch before hitting a heavy bag. Cannot stress this enough. I had been in the occasional fight during grade-school and junior high, and felt like I could throw a decent punch. I was wrong. If you don't know exactly what you are doing, you are going to injure something (most likely your wrist).

2. Buy a quality set of knuckle wraps and boxing gloves. You will quickly wear the skin off of your knuckles otherwise, and probably will do it anyway (at a slower pace) with decent gear until you get callous formation.

3. Hitting a heavy bag did not make me less aggressive. In fact, quite the opposite.

4. Hitting a heavy bag becomes incredibly boring fairly quickly. Once you're into it for about 10 minutes, you'll think of just about anything else to do for a workout.

I gave mine away when I graduated medical school mainly because I didn't have the space for it when moving. I also picked a profession that requires intact hands and skin, so I figured my punching bag days were over. Still wish I had it every once in a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
      I bought one about 12-13 years ago. My intention was to have a fun workout that allowed me to blow off some aggression. I was running 4-5 miles per day, but hated every minute of it. So I went to some local sports store and came home with a heavy bag and some cheap boxing gloves. I quickly learned some salient points:

1. Learn how to correctly throw a punch before hitting a heavy bag. Cannot stress this enough. I had been in the occasional fight during grade-school and junior high, and felt like I could throw a decent punch. I was wrong. If you don't know exactly what you are doing, you are going to injure something (most likely your wrist).

2. Buy a quality set of knuckle wraps and boxing gloves. You will quickly wear the skin off of your knuckles otherwise, and probably will do it anyway (at a slower pace) with decent gear until you get callous formation.

3. Hitting a heavy bag did not make me less aggressive. In fact, quite the opposite.

4. Hitting a heavy bag becomes incredibly boring fairly quickly. Once you're into it for about 10 minutes, you'll think of just about anything else to do for a workout.

I gave mine away when I graduated medical school mainly because I didn't have the space for it when moving. I also picked a profession that requires intact hands and skin, so I figured my punching bag days were over. Still wish I had it every once in a while.
      Thanks for the info. My hands are getting a bit swollen especially near the pinky finger. I've been watching youtube videos on punching techniques.

Comment

I use one for the kids batting practice. Helps muscle memory in turning the hips and weight transfer. Also strapping the end of the bat with a bungee cord helps to learn how to throw your hands. Combine the two and it's a great addition to your baseball/softball training regiment

Comment

Working...
        X