Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Movies Coming Soon or Out Currently Worth Seeing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Taco John View Post
    You'd love it Spider. It's right up your alley.
    might be better then gran Torino ........

Comment

Milk and Doubt are both worth seeing

Comment

I just got done reading the book "Into the Wild" by John Krakauer. It's a very compelling story about a kid who graduates college, and then hits the road for adventure across America. I absolutely loved the book, and so I picked up the movie - Great freaking movie. They did a fantastic job with the story.

Besides that, I'm becoming a big Emile Hirsh fan. He was great in Lords of Dogtown. I thought he did well in Alpha Dog too. This role, however, was special. Especially towards the end of the show. A very believable performance from an up and comer.

I highly recommend this flick.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2LAuzT_x8Ek&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2LAuzT_x8Ek&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
        I love that movie. Then again, I'm an overly-idealistic, disillusioned college-ager so I'm an easy mark for it, haha.

That said, I think it would appeal to a lot of people--great coming-of-age/American roadtrip film. Also, agreed about Hirsh. This might have been his career defining role, even young as he is.

Comment

I just read a News story about a woman that disappeared in 1997 ( I forget the country) but she had been living in the woods , they found her good health .... I guess she just wanted to get away, TJ movie is just like that .......

Comment

Originally posted by Spider View Post
            I just read a News story about a woman that disappeared in 1997 ( I forget the country) but she had been living in the woods , they found her good health .... I guess she just wanted to get away, TJ movie is just like that .......
            hehe

Comment

That's plan B for me if the systems break down to live in the wilderness of either Baja or the Olympic Peninsular

Comment

Originally posted by scttgrd View Post
                Check out Taken with Liam Neeson, it comes out at the end of the month. I've seen it, don't ask how.
                I am looking forward to seeing that movie when it comes out....the previews looked great.
                Last edited by SouthStndJunkie; 01-19-2009, 10:14 PM.

Comment

I just got done reading the book "Into the Wild" by John Krakauer. It's a very compelling story about a kid who graduates college, and then hits the road for adventure across America. I absolutely loved the book, and so I picked up the movie - Great freaking movie. They did a fantastic job with the story.
                  I really enjoyed the book....but have not seen the movie yet.

Comment

Saw 'Valkyrie' on Saturday.

I thought Tom Cruise was very good in the role of Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

I thought Tom Cruise was very good in the role of Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg.
                      Plus, his accent was spot on.

Comment

I want'a see that

Comment

I think I had a special place for slumdog since i was in mumbai a year before the attacks... the memories came back pretty vividly... it was also sad to see the victoria terminus in so many shots (one of the attacks was there). Anyways, I totally loved it. But I'm from Hong Kong and I've grown up around a lot of India culture, with id say 50% indian friends so maybe my taste is quite specific.

Comment

Originally posted by lex View Post
                            One movie to avoid is Paul Blart. I saw that Saturday. Wow, that sucked.

One movie that Id definitely recommend is Tell No One. Its a french movie that should be showing available on Net Flix soon if its not already. I saw it a few months ago. It was no The Lives of Others but it was an excellent film.

One movie that I want to see is Che.
                            Did you actually have expectations going into Paul Blart? 30 second ads were more than enough for me.

I've heard good things about Tell No One. I'll have to check that one out. Glad to see someone else here saw Lives of Others. Outstanding film.

Che does look intriguing. I've heard they did a good job of keeping it fairly apolitical (if that is possible in a film about Che) instead of sensationalizing his life, which I tend to prefer in biopics. The Oscar voters apparently can't understand a biopic if there isn't swelling music every other scene or trite speeches at the end to wrap things up, but I appreciate a director that gives the audience enough credit to come to its own conclusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Kid A View Post
                              Did you actually have expectations going into Paul Blart? 30 second ads were more than enough for me.

I've heard good things about Tell No One. I'll have to check that one out. Glad to see someone else here saw Lives of Others. Outstanding film.

Che does look intriguing. I've heard they did a good job of keeping it fairly apolitical (if that is possible in a film about Che) instead of sensationalizing his life, which I tend to prefer in biopics. The Oscar voters apparently can't understand a biopic if there isn't swelling music every other scene or trite speeches at the end to wrap things up, but I appreciate a director that gives the audience enough credit to come to its own conclusion.
                              I expected something light with some laughs in Paul Blart. My expectations were calibrated for what it appeared to be on ads, but even with somewhat lower standards, it was still a disappontment. You know the plots going to be flimsy but you at least hope for a few laughs but there were very few.

Yeah, Ive taken to watching mostly Indies/arthouse and foreign films (namely french movies). Theyre a lot better than what hollywood is putting out...its been that way for a while actually.
                              Last edited by lex; 01-19-2009, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

Agreed.

Comment

Working...
                                X