Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumb question....Avatars?

What happened to our Avatars?

I believe TJ turned them off for performance reasons now that we are in "On Season" mode.

Comment

thanks PatsWin2002....go 'Sox.....

Comment

Mine work fine.

Comment

I'll tell you, though I'm not really complaining per se, but I've really been losing interest in this place and I think the loss of avatars is the reason. I'm making just 3-4 posts at a time, almost forcing myself.

Here's why (I think), follow me here: Avatars are like faces, and since I value the social interaction here as much as the football, the loss of avatars is being at a get-together where everyone is wearing a mask. You see their name-tags, but you can't see their face. It's become very frustrating for me.

Comment

Well BB now you just have to go by signatures.

Comment

I've got to admit, I miss the avatars too. They really express the personalities around here.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBuff View Post
                I'll tell you, though I'm not really complaining per se, but I've really been losing interest in this place and I think the loss of avatars is the reason. I'm making just 3-4 posts at a time, almost forcing myself.

Here's why (I think), follow me here: Avatars are like faces, and since I value the social interaction here as much as the football, the loss of avatars is being at a get-together where everyone is wearing a mask. You see their name-tags, but you can't see their face. It's become very frustrating for me.
                lol

Comment

Mine are still working fine.

Comment

Yup, they needed to turn off the 250 X 250 avatars for performance reasons yet they let the 600 wide X 100 high/300 wide X 250 high sigs remain..........makes perfect sense to me

Comment

Actually Hogan, siggies take much less bandwidth because they are not hosted directly on the server (or at least mostly not)

For example, your latest sig is hosted on Photobucket and not here.

Avatars are all hosted directly here and very few are linked to other websites therefore, the bandwidth hit is MUCH higher.

Comment

Originally posted by Rohirrim
                        They really express the personalities around here.
                        Exactly.

Originally posted by Pezman View Post
                        Avatars are all hosted directly here and very few are linked to other websites therefore, the bandwidth hit is MUCH higher.
                        Well I won't feel subversive if I make a big sig then ...

And so, why not host sigs on Photobucket and ImageShack?

Comment

You mean host avatars off-site Buff?

Comment

Yeah, why not? You said "very few" are linked to other websites, why not use them more?

Or is there a monetary number Taco needs to upgrade the server speed?

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoBuff View Post
                              Yeah, why not? You said "very few" are linked to other websites, why not use them more?

Or is there a monetary number Taco needs to upgrade the server speed?
                              Heck, if you ask me, we could make it mandatory to make all avatars and sigs off site IMO. That's what sites like photobucket and other photo hosting sites are for anyway right?

Comment

Working...
                              X