Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ex-Bronco asks O-Maners for help with his book.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jon,
    What was Mile High Stadium like in those early days of Broncomania? And if you've been back to the new Mile High are there any noticeable differences as far as fan noise, enthusiasm, and general craziness?

Comment

Originally posted by Atlas
      Morton was a huge upgrade over Steve Ramsey. Morton was a lot like Jake last year. Play within yourself and don't turn the ball over. Unlike Jake Morton would just take the sack if no one was open. He took serious beatings.
      To me it was like saying Brooks is a huge upgrade over Collins. The first two years he was in Denver I'll give him that he didn't turn the ball over as much as he usually had or would but he also only hit his target about 1/2 the time. If not for Denver's defense we would have never even sniffed the playoffs or the SB.

Comment

Originally posted by gunns
        To me it was like saying Brooks is a huge upgrade over Collins. The first two years he was in Denver I'll give him that he didn't turn the ball over as much as he usually had or would but he also only hit his target about 1/2 the time. If not for Denver's defense we would have never even sniffed the playoffs or the SB.
        Ramsey was horrible Morton was a good QB. In fact in 1977 he went to the Probowl and was the second QB behind Bob Griese.

I think your hatred for him has clouded your memory. Craig Morton was voted UPI comeback player of the year IN 1977.

SoCals link: http://www.databasefootball.com/awar...htm?a=UPIAFMVP
        UPI AFL-AFC MVP Winners
        1982 Dan Fouts
        1981 Ken Anderson
        1980 Brian Sipe
        1979 Dan Fouts
        1978 Earl Campbell
        1977 Craig Morton
        1976 Bert Jones
        1975 O.j. Simpson
        1974 Ken Stabler
        1973 O.j. Simpson
        1972 O.j. Simpson
        1971 Otis Taylor
        1970 George Blanda
        1969 Daryle Lamonica
        1968 Joe Namath
        1967 Daryle Lamonica
        1966 Jim Nance
        1965 Paul Lowe
        1964 Gino Cappelletti
        1963 Lance Alworth
        1962 Cookie Gilchrist
        1961 George Blanda
        1960 Abner Haynes

NFL Comeback Player of the Year Winners
        SoCals link: http://www.databasefootball.com/awar...htm?a=COMEBACK

2005 Steve Smith
        Tedy Bruschi
        2004 Drew Brees
        2003 Jon Kitna
        2002 Tommy Maddox
        2001 Garrison Hearst
        2000 Joe Johnson
        1999 Bryant Young
        1998 Doug Flutie
        1997 Robert Brooks
        1996 Jerome Bettis
        1995 Jim Harbaugh
        1994 Dan Marino
        1993 Marcus Allen
        1992 Randall Cunningham
        1991 Jim Mcmahon
        1990 Barry Word
        1989 Ottis Anderson
        1988 Greg Bell
        1987 Charles White
        1986 Joe Montana
        Tommy Kramer
        1984 John Stallworth
        1983 Billy Johnson
        1982 Lyle Alzado
        1981 Ken Anderson
        1980 Jim Plunkett
        1979 Larry Csonka
        1978 John Riggins
        1977 Craig Morton
        1976 Greg Landry
        1975 Dave Hampton
        1974 Joe Namath
        1973 Roman Gabriel
        1972 Earl Morrall
        Last edited by Atlas; 08-25-2006, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Atlas
          Ramsey was horrible Morton was a good QB. In fact in 1977 he went to the Probowl and was the second QB behind Bob Griese.

I think your hatred for him has clouded your memory. Craig Morton was voted UPI comeback player of the year IN 1977.

SoCals link: http://www.databasefootball.com/awar...htm?a=UPIAFMVP
          UPI AFL-AFC MVP Winners
          1982 Dan Fouts
          1981 Ken Anderson
          1980 Brian Sipe
          1979 Dan Fouts
          1978 Earl Campbell
          1977 Craig Morton
          1976 Bert Jones
          1975 O.j. Simpson
          1974 Ken Stabler
          1973 O.j. Simpson
          1972 O.j. Simpson
          1971 Otis Taylor
          1970 George Blanda
          1969 Daryle Lamonica
          1968 Joe Namath
          1967 Daryle Lamonica
          1966 Jim Nance
          1965 Paul Lowe
          1964 Gino Cappelletti
          1963 Lance Alworth
          1962 Cookie Gilchrist
          1961 George Blanda
          1960 Abner Haynes

NFL Comeback Player of the Year Winners
          SoCals link: http://www.databasefootball.com/awar...htm?a=COMEBACK

2005 Steve Smith
          Tedy Bruschi
          2004 Drew Brees
          2003 Jon Kitna
          2002 Tommy Maddox
          2001 Garrison Hearst
          2000 Joe Johnson
          1999 Bryant Young
          1998 Doug Flutie
          1997 Robert Brooks
          1996 Jerome Bettis
          1995 Jim Harbaugh
          1994 Dan Marino
          1993 Marcus Allen
          1992 Randall Cunningham
          1991 Jim Mcmahon
          1990 Barry Word
          1989 Ottis Anderson
          1988 Greg Bell
          1987 Charles White
          1986 Joe Montana
          Tommy Kramer
          1984 John Stallworth
          1983 Billy Johnson
          1982 Lyle Alzado
          1981 Ken Anderson
          1980 Jim Plunkett
          1979 Larry Csonka
          1978 John Riggins
          1977 Craig Morton
          1976 Greg Landry
          1975 Dave Hampton
          1974 Joe Namath
          1973 Roman Gabriel
          1972 Earl Morrall
          No I didn't like the pickup because he hadn't done much in NY or Dallas. As I said I'll give him the first two years in Denver, slightly, as he did curb his turnovers, but he also only made about 1/2 his passes. IMO, any improvement by him would have made him the comeback player. The standards were different back then, but my standards back then were as high as they are today for the Broncos and those standards weren't met until 1983. Now THAT I thought was an absolute miracle.

Comment

What players from that team does he consider Hall Of Fame material?

Comment

The original #7.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SteveTensi13
                The original #7.
                No, this is............

Comment

Originally posted by gunns
                  No I didn't like the pickup because he hadn't done much in NY or Dallas.
                  He led Dallas to the Superbowl in 1970 and the only reason he left Dallas was because of some guy named Staubach. I'll give you that he didn't do anything in NY but NY was horrible and Morton was just getting creamed.

Morton wasn't a great QB but I find that people really do under rate him. He was a good QB that had some flaws. Get some games of the 1981 season and watch Morton play. He was as old as dirt that year but yet he led the suprise Broncos to a 10-6 record and had a QB rating of over 90.

Comment

I wonder what the local hang outs were for the players in those days? Alzado had a bar called Desperado on the back side of the old Sears at Cherry Creek (the mall wasn't there yet). I think maybe the old Colorado Mining Company in Glendale might have been one, too.

Comment

Originally posted by bombay
                      I wonder what the local hang outs were for the players in those days? Alzado had a bar called Desperado on the back side of the old Sears at Cherry Creek (the mall wasn't there yet). I think maybe the old Colorado Mining Company in Glendale might have been one, too.
                      Of course any book about the '77 team should be an honest depiction of all the players. We want some dirt and not for it all to be sugar coated. Keyworth knows a lot of stuff about Alzado and everybody else. If he wants to sell copies on a national level he needs to come clean with everything.

Comment

Question 1: Did you witness at any stage in your career the use of either performance enhancing, or recreational drugs on a level which you believe was improper; either now or at the time. We're you ever offered any etc..... basically, what was the acceptance level, if any, of drugs at the time.

Question 2: I think i over stretched my capabilities there and i haven't actually got a second question.

Can i get a personaly signed copy delivered over 'ere?

Actually that was a question, but i don't think it will make it into the book right?

Comment

Originally posted by UKBronco
                          Question 1: Did you witness at any stage in your career the use of either performance enhancing, or recreational drugs on a level which you believe was improper; either now or at the time. We're you ever offered any etc..... basically, what was the acceptance level, if any, of drugs at the time.

Question 2: I think i over stretched my capabilities there and i haven't actually got a second question.

Can i get a personaly signed copy delivered over 'ere?

Actually that was a question, but i don't think it will make it into the book right?
                          One of the former raiders said they used to have a giant bowl in the lockerroom filled with speed act.... Also they had refreshments on tables with signs that read Leaded and Unleaded. It was just different back then. I'm sure many Broncos were doing that stuff.

Comment

When the book comes on sale maybe we can buy it through the orangemane. With $5 of the proceeds going to TJ

Comment

I would like to know his opinion of why the "Orange Crush", especially Gradishar, is ignored by the Hall of Fame. There was a huge outcry to get Harry Carson in, and he was a good LB, but IMHO Gradishar was better.

Comment

Originally posted by Stuck In Texas
                                I would like to know his opinion of why the "Orange Crush", especially Gradishar, is ignored by the Hall of Fame. There was a huge outcry to get Harry Carson in, and he was a good LB, but IMHO Gradishar was better.
                                Carson was a damn good LB, Gradishar was better but a big part of the blame lies on the Bronco organization for Bronco players not getting the recognition they deserve.

Comment

Working...
                                X