The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 09:53 AM   #1
lostknight
In The Arena
 
lostknight's Avatar
 
ohwaitwtf

Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,336

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow
Default The Season's first Must Win Game.

Welcome to the first must-win game of the season. Of course, it also happens to be the first game of the season. This will raise some people's hackles immediately, but hear me out. This game will set the tone of the season.

A rousing success, and the Broncos will be rejuvenated in a division that increasingly looks like the Chargers and only the Chargers can vie for the AFC West.

A disaster, and all of the momentum that this team has built up will be gone. The front office threw Tebow under the bus this pre-season to try and stabilize things for Kyle Orton. Before that, they tried to trade Orton, and threw him under the bus until Orton himself blew that up. A opening day loss, especially if it is marked by poor passing play in the red zone and on third downs, will re-open that wound.

The raiders, at least on paper, are not very good. They went 0-4 in pre-season. They lost their best player to free agency, and their star running back has been injured. This is not the team that thumped the Broncos under Kyle Orton, and is not the same team that Tebow played hard against, but ultimately came short up against.

There is also the looming specter of injuries. Almost no-one emerged unscathed yesterday from the injury bug. The Broncos are disastrously short of talent in the second and third teams. That means that this team might wear down really spectacularly later in the season. Wins now are critical to surviving the entire season.

So set the tone. This game matters.
lostknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
Pick Six
Armchair Poster
 
Pick Six's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Topeka, KS
Posts: 22,742

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse
Default

It's a division game, so it absolutely matters...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,663

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Definitely a "must win" game, esp for Orton and Fox, imo.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #4
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 20,509

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Definitely a "must win" game, esp for Orton and Fox, imo.
If Orton goes out and has a career type day but we lose because the defense can't stop them, I'm not so sure.

"Must win game" is right up there with "literally" as one of the most over (and inappropriately) used terms or phrases of all time. If you can lose the game and still make the playoffs, it's not a "must win game" ever (at least for the team) IMO.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,663

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
If Orton goes out and has a career type day but we lose because the defense can't stop them, I'm not so sure.

"Must win game" is right up there with "literally" as one of the most over (and inappropriately) used terms or phrases of all time. If you can lose the game and still make the playoffs, it's not a "must win game" ever (at least for the team) IMO.
I agree.

But considering the:

Loss to Oak at home last year
Ortons performance in that game
The preparation from coaches in that game
The QB jerk around this off-season
The sheer volume of hatred involved with Oak rivalry

This IS a "must-win" game. If not, blood will ALREADY be in the water for Orton, Fox and more, and the sharks will come.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #6
Dedhed
Ring of Famer
 
Dedhed's Avatar
 
Fare thee well

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Earth
Posts: 10,404

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith
Default

I tend to agree that this is a must win game, but for different reasons.

We haven't been given a home opener in years, and coming off last year's franchise worst season, and utter pummeling in Denver by these very Raiders, it is utterly imperative that we, and the team, aren't reminded of how bad things were last year. A loss to the Raiders at home on MNF would certainly bring back images of ineptitude, and would kick this season off on a sour note.

Looking at the schedule is another reason this becomes a must win kind of game. In my opinion the Broncos must beat the Raiders and Bengals at home if they hope to have any sort of success this year. The Bengals looked much better than I thought they would yesterday, and are not a walkover by any means. Even starting 1-1 would make it very difficult to get to the Charger game with a winning record.

The Broncos are in for another long year if we go into the Charger game with a 1-3 record. I don't like our chances on the road in Tennessee, let alone Green Bay, and if we don't start 2-0 at home against beatable teams, we're staring 1-4 in the face going into the bye week.

We've been a pretty poor home team in recent years, and the first two weeks will be important in setting the home tone at the newly named "Sports Authority field." Coming from last year's debacle the home folks are not going to have the patience to weather a slow start this year. They need to be inspired by a solid showing, and a win, to believe this team is destined to be something other than a doormat in the AFC. A loss tonight will create almost immediate apathy on the part of the fan base, and only further reduce an already lackluster home field advantage.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #7
Aftermath
Creep
 
Aftermath's Avatar
 
Broncos | Flyers | Tigers

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Dirty Glove
Posts: 846

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker
Default

Whats goin on with McFadden? Is he hurt or is he starting?
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 11:17 AM   #8
tebowisdabomb
Seasoned Veteran
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 276

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

McFadden was ready for the last pre-season game and was held out as a precaution
tebowisdabomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #9
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,750

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
I tend to agree that this is a must win game, but for different reasons.

We haven't been given a home opener in years, and coming off last year's franchise worst season, and utter pummeling in Denver by these very Raiders, it is utterly imperative that we, and the team, aren't reminded of how bad things were last year. A loss to the Raiders at home on MNF would certainly bring back images of ineptitude, and would kick this season off on a sour note.

Looking at the schedule is another reason this becomes a must win kind of game. In my opinion the Broncos must beat the Raiders and Bengals at home if they hope to have any sort of success this year. The Bengals looked much better than I thought they would yesterday, and are not a walkover by any means. Even starting 1-1 would make it very difficult to get to the Charger game with a winning record.

The Broncos are in for another long year if we go into the Charger game with a 1-3 record. I don't like our chances on the road in Tennessee, let alone Green Bay, and if we don't start 2-0 at home against beatable teams, we're staring 1-4 in the face going into the bye week.

We've been a pretty poor home team in recent years, and the first two weeks will be important in setting the home tone at the newly named "Sports Authority field." Coming from last year's debacle the home folks are not going to have the patience to weather a slow start this year. They need to be inspired by a solid showing, and a win, to believe this team is destined to be something other than a doormat in the AFC. A loss tonight will create almost immediate apathy on the part of the fan base, and only further reduce an already lackluster home field advantage.
I dont know, Tennessee looks completely lost right now. Cincy didn't look great, they needed a comeback to beat the lowly Browns. Denver CAN win their first 3 games, but it would take a miracle of epic proportions to beat GB, no denying that.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #10
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings
 
broncocalijohn's Avatar
 
I said Do It!

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Lake Forest, Orange County, Calif.
Posts: 23,256

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher
Default

I think when you are picked last in your division, every game is a "must win". Not sure why you need to tell us that the opening weekend vs our arch divison rivals is a "must win". It won't make the season but it sure would erase last year faster with a revenge win and settle down the fan base for a week.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,663

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
I dont know, Tennessee looks completely lost right now. Cincy didn't look great, they needed a comeback to beat the lowly Browns. Denver CAN win their first 3 games, but it would take a miracle of epic proportions to beat GB, no denying that.
Tenn looked COMPLETELY lost for sure. I told my friend that it looks like their lockout ended Saturday. Hope that sticks for a couple more weeks...

But the "lowly" Browns that finished better than Denver with a way tougher schedule? We can definitely beat Cinci, especially at home, but Denver needs to prove it can win football games before calling other teams "lowly" at the moment.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #12
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster
 
ColoradoDarin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 8,089

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ
Default

raider games are always "must win"

It's one of the things that I loved about Shanahan, he knew the importance of this rivalry.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #13
Cito Pelon
Been there, didn't get it
 
Cito Pelon's Avatar
 
Not2Shabby County Seat

Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: AFC Championshipville, NotTooShabby County
Posts: 16,708

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Slim Shabby
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I agree.

But considering the:

Loss to Oak at home last year
Ortons performance in that game
The preparation from coaches in that game
The QB jerk around this off-season
The sheer volume of hatred involved with Oak rivalry

This IS a "must-win" game. If not, blood will ALREADY be in the water for Orton, Fox and more, and the sharks will come.
Pretty much. You wouldn't be one of those sharks, would you? No, not you . . .
Cito Pelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #14
Broncos4tw
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,445
Default

Opening day should always be considered a "must win." Teams that win on opening day have a clear lead on getting into the playoffs. They had a stat on the radio over the weekend, and opening day teams have a fairly significantly higher % of shows in the playoffs, versus teams that didn't.

And it's the Raiders.

And a division opponent.

At home.

Yes.. it's a must win.
Broncos4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #15
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck
 
SonOfLe-loLang's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 21,214

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)
Default

There are only 16 games in an NFL season. As far as im concerned, every single one of them is must win
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #16
orng&blu
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

In my humble opinion, every time the team sets foot on the field they should expect to win the game. If they don't, then why even compete? In my opinion EVERY game is a "must win" game for true competitors. Settling for anything less is not acceptable.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:00 PM   #17
Traveler
Traveling Man!
 
Traveler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 4,437

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
"Must win game" is right up there with "literally" as one of the most over (and inappropriately) used terms or phrases of all time. If you can lose the game and still make the playoffs, it's not a "must win game" ever (at least for the team) IMO.
This!

Game we want Denver to win. Yes! As we do with all our games. Must win, no. Season won't be lost if we lose this game.

Revenge game works better for me.
Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #18
Kaylore
Because I am better
 
Kaylore's Avatar
 
Everything

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ceti Alpha V
Posts: 47,050

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default

It would say it's a "would be very good for the staff and franchise if they won this" game. However if they lose this game, but finish 8-8 or better, most people will accept things are moving forward and write the loss off as a product of an abbreviated offseason that hurt a young team with new staff across the board. So I won't agree its a must win.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #19
errand
Ring of Famer
 
errand's Avatar
 
Forgot more than you'll ever know

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Western NC mountains
Posts: 17,728
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Definitely a "must win" game, esp for Orton and Fox, imo.
Wow ........I figured it would be a must win situation for defense that surrendered 98 points to the same oakland raiders last season.

I'm thinking our defense needs to set the tone that they will not be pushed around to the tune of 4 touchdowns a game by anybody who shows up.
errand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:34 PM   #20
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,872

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

on the other hand, a loss tonite would possibly put us at even money with Car in the suck for luck, and Tebow time draws closer. Of course if Payaton is done, Indy may have a lock.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #21
mkporter
Ring of Famer
 
mkporter's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,675

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4tw View Post
Opening day should always be considered a "must win." Teams that win on opening day have a clear lead on getting into the playoffs. They had a stat on the radio over the weekend, and opening day teams have a fairly significantly higher % of shows in the playoffs, versus teams that didn't.

This always seemed like a misleading statistic to me. Is the math any different for teams that win the second game of the season, or the third?
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #22
mkporter
Ring of Famer
 
mkporter's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 1,675

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendog View Post
on the other hand, a loss tonite would possibly put us at even money with KC in the suck for luck, and Tebow time draws closer. Of course if Payaton is done, Indy may have a lock.
FIFY
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:39 PM   #23
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,362

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncos4tw View Post
Opening day should always be considered a "must win." Teams that win on opening day have a clear lead on getting into the playoffs. They had a stat on the radio over the weekend, and opening day teams have a fairly significantly higher % of shows in the playoffs, versus teams that didn't.

And it's the Raiders.

And a division opponent.

At home.

Yes.. it's a must win.
They had that stat on one of the pregame shows and I'm pretty sure it was only like 55% of teams that win week one made the playoffs.

Edit: I looked it up, there is a big difference.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2...-in-the-n-f-l/

Itís true that since the N.F.L. realigned the divisions in 2002, 52.3 percent of 1-0 teams made the playoffs compared with just 22.7 percent of teams that dropped their first game.

Last edited by jhns; 09-12-2011 at 02:48 PM..
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:44 PM   #24
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,872

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

Nah, I don't think KC is really THAT bad. But the Star compared them to Kansas in terms of fans leaving early, and said the FO had no plan, Haley had no plan, and the team came out both flat and out of shape, so this was a loss that could lead to several consecutive losses.

This game's not a must win for Den, and most likely not Jokeland either, because Den is not a very good team, and the Faide are the faide where lockerroom drama will overshadow everything else. But it's an important game for both teams in terms of defining how mediocre their seasons will be. Each loss increases pressure on EFX to start Tebow regardless of whether he has any biz on an NFL field with a full playbook, and each loss brings lockerroom dissention a step closer in Jokeland.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:45 PM   #25
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 
Not. Too. Shabby.

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,663

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by errand View Post
Wow ........I figured it would be a must win situation for defense that surrendered 98 points to the same oakland raiders last season.

I'm thinking our defense needs to set the tone that they will not be pushed around to the tune of 4 touchdowns a game by anybody who shows up.
If there were 1-3 players to pin that on, sure.

As is, what would Denver do? Bench the defense?

No, they'd hold the people responsible for preparing them accountable. Like I said. If you chose to only read Ortons name to fit your hyper-sensitive agenda, then so be it, but that's not the reality.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:02 AM.


Denver Broncos