The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default Keys to the Game and Prediction

OFFENSE

1. Orange Julius has a great matchup against Kamerion Wimbley or Quentin Groves. Wimbley is really a 3-4 OLB type, not a 4-3 cover OLB and Groves is even bigger. These are definitely not your traditional cover LB's. I think this is a tremendous matchup for Denver and we need to exploit it, especially on PA. There's no way either of these guys can stay with a fleet footed guy like Thomas. What he'll need to do, however, is show the strength to get off the line, because they're going to try and rough him up at the line and that could be a problem. Using motion and lining him up off the LOS could help.

2. Exploit DeMarcus Van Dyke. He's got straight line speed, but stiff hips and its not hard to get seperation against him. This is where Denver's superiority at WR will come in handy. You've got to use formations to force Oakland to use its Nickel defenses. I think Decker could be huge in a matchup like this.

3. Running against Oakland will be difficult considering the interior of our line will likely not control Tommy Kelly or Richard Seymour. We're going to have to manufacture some runs, somehow, though. Perhaps taking advantage of their aggressiveness through traps and runs using fold blocks, rather than traditional leads or IZ/OZ plays, or draws.

DEFENSE

1. Eight man fronts to contain the run when they're in a two back formation, preferably a 46 style front where the center and both guards are covered by linemen, since we're weaker against the inside run with our DT's than the outside run. Force them outside with the design of the front. Clog up the inside to protect the DT's.

2. Switch to zone defenses when we're spread out by Oakland. Oakland is well aware of how thin we are at CB. I'm sure they're going to try and formation guys like Louis Murphy and Ford onto our nickel and dime corners (Vaughn etc.). We've got to make sure we stay out of man to man against 3 and 4 WR formations, because they WILL find a good matchup. Preferably, the zone would be a three deep zone with four underneath, so that even if they go 4 wide, or 3 wide with 1 TE, we'll still have 1 more defender in the box than they have blockers, while at the same time staying out of man to man.

3. When we get Oakland into 3rd and medium/long passing situations, bring a 3 deep 3 underneath zone blitz, that will allow us to rush both Dumervil and Miller, while still having 6 zone defenders in space with their eyes on the ball to make tackles against potential screens. The screen I'm most worried about is not necessarily to a reciever, but rather to McFadden. McFadden in space scares me. We're going to have to have a response to Oakland throwing screens to the backs and throwing 3 step drops to beat the pressure.

PREDICTION: Denver 24, Oakland 16.

Oakland's lost a good deal of talent since last season. I think our pass rush is good for 4 sacks in this game. I'm not impressed by Oakland's OT's, I think they're going to get straight up raped by VonDoom. Ofcourse, Denver will have to counter Oakland's response to our rush, namely going to the quick game, throwing screens, or throwing to the backs on safe throws. If we can just keep the run game under control we'll be able to hold them in check most of the night. Denver will manufacture some points in the passing game and we should be able to hold them off.

What are your keys to the game and you prediction?
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2011, 10:54 PM   #2
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

From Socal,
"1. Eight man fronts to contain the run when they're in a two back formation, preferably a 46 style front where the center and both guards are covered by linemen, since we're weaker against the inside run with our DT's than the outside run. Force them outside with the design of the front. Clog up the inside to protect the DT's. "

Screen passes scare me. Add their running game that will challenge us from the get go. They need to know what are we made of a year later. If this has some success, play action will be worked in. With a decent running game now and some healthy guys on the Oline, I like our chances with our offense. Orton doesnt have to carry the team with his arm with McGahee and Moreno in the backfield. Solve the rushing defense and I think we pull this one out. PRESSURE, PRESSURE and more PRESSURE on obvious passing plays. Stuff it on first down is a big key for our defense. want to see 2nd and 3rd and long all night.

If this happens: Denver wins 23 to 20.
If not, Raiders win 34 to 19. I would love to say 34-21 at least but our red zone problems might show up and we kick 4 field goals.

Last edited by broncocalijohn; 09-12-2011 at 11:06 AM..
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #3
McDman
Ring of Famer

Huzzah!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

It seems our DEs have trouble recognizing the screen, I think they're going to abuse us with it.
McDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:02 PM   #4
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

If Fox doesn't understand this is a rivalry game, then he needs to be fired now. Lose all season( but don't lose to Oakland.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:05 PM   #5
KO5K

Anyone know the starting DTs?

Bunkley and Vickerson?
Old 09-11-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
NUB
Just Crafted

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Looks like a sloppy matchup where whoever runs best will win unless one/both of the QBs catches fire. Oakland's pass-defense should still be very strong, and, of course, so is Denver's. The difference between the two teams is run-defense. I'm almost certain teams are gonna run through Denver's middle all-day, all-season this year.

Denver does have home-field and it is a home-opener, both typically big advantages... However, the game is at night, on a Monday, both being where Denver has a penchant for embarrassing itself or losing on final-play type games. I think the two cancel each other out.

The homer in me has Denver winning because Campbell sucks and VonDoom will pass-rush them into oblivion; the realist in me has Oakland winning because Denver has cans and journeymen holding up the run-defense. Also, while Campbell sucks, Russell sucks even worse and we ended up paying for about half his paycheck's worth of work.

Homer: Denver comes out hot with Orton passing all over the field and a blistering defense permanently keeping Oakland on their heels. We semi-rout the Raiders in steamy, hot vengeance, 24-10, doing better than the score suggests.

Realist: Denver comes out hot, but peters out in the second half where Oakland's running controls the game. Game is close at half-time, but ends with Oakland winning 24-14 with the 2nd-half being especially depressing.
NUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #7
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
If Fox doesn't understand this is a rivalry game, then he needs to be fired now. Lose all season( but don't lose to Oakland.
I am going to say that I think the players will need to play just a tad. Good observation though.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:45 PM   #8
Maximus
The Razor!

Public Enemy #1

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tim Tebow

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
OFFENSE

2. Exploit DeMarcus Van Dyke. He's got straight line speed, but stiff hips and its not hard to get seperation against him. This is where Denver's superiority at WR will come in handy. You've got to use formations to force Oakland to use its Nickel defenses. I think Decker could be huge in a matchup like this.
It's readily apparent that you have no knowledge of what's going on with your opponent. First Michael Huff will be moved to nickle CB, DVD will not see the field in the slot position. Second Nobody has separated from DVD. His problem is not playing the ball and turning his head with the WR. Louis Murphy isn't scheduled to play until week 2

When we're in 2 back formation you have to remember that we have a hybrid FB/WR in the backfield who will out run any safety. I'm talking about Marcel Reece all of our backs catch the ball really well. Stacking the box plays into campbells dink and dunk nature. Plus it's going to leave 1 on 1 coverage with Ford, Moore, Schilens, Hagen or even DHB
Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:56 PM   #9
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Offense: Score points.
Defense: Dont let them score points.

There ya go.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:01 AM   #10
Ratboy
It's all over...

ಠ_ಠ

Stopping McFadden is the key to winning this game.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 12:08 AM   #11
Pseudofool
Cynic at Large

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Me?

1) Line backer and safety tackling. It's a given the Raiders running game will get past our dline unit, keeping the first and second down rush to under four yards is essential.

2) Moreno. Let's see this guy earn his draft slot. The Oline is young but might be okay. With the Raiders dline we'll need the feature back to make some plays.

3) Special teams. Win the kicking game. Don't need to be flashy here, but avoid the big mistake.

I think the team is a lot tighter and will be more productive than many believe: 23-10, with a late Oakland touchdown. If we don't dominate this game, we're in for a long, unwatchable season.
Pseudofool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 02:17 AM   #12
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

After the 2 beatings Oakland handed us last year.... I just do not see enough improvement combined with Oakland losing enough for us to get over the hump. Been to too many oakland at Denver games including MNF blizzard game which we lost to be confident about this one. The other issue is that our fans are not what they used to be, too many corporate types that would rather talk to each other, talk to friends on the cell phone and too many fans asking other fans to sit down and be quite to have any sort of home field advantage.

That said, Oakland 31 denver 23
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:42 AM   #13
FireFly
Ring of Famer

The window is open!

I've got money riding on the Broncos so hopefully my wishful thinking will help...
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:46 AM   #14
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 05:47 AM   #15
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
The other issue is that our fans are not what they used to be, too many corporate types that would rather talk to each other, talk to friends on the cell phone and too many fans asking other fans to sit down and be quite to have any sort of home field advantage.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:01 AM   #16
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Just keep the clutch situations out of Orton's hands.

Denver 21
Oakland 13
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:17 AM   #17
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Easy win.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:23 AM   #18
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
Just keep the clutch situations out of Orton's hands.

Denver 21
Oakland 13
Id rather put clutch situations on Orton. It's up to him to improve in that area. If the Broncos have ANY chance at success, they will require Orton to make improvements on 3rd down and the red zone. Now hopefully the team can help him out and not put him in 3rd and 8 and 3rd and 10 situations and we find ourselves in manageable down and distance but there are going to be times when it is 3rd and long and Orton has to improve there no doubt about it. Red zone efficiency will increase if we have the threat of a run game down there. We did not have that at all last year. If there is still no legitimate threat of the run in the red zone we are going to struggle again. It's that way with all but maybe 2 or 3 QBs in the NFL.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:24 AM   #19
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Raiders had the worst scoring offense and second worst scoring defense of preseason. Raider fans will say "Well its preseason!" Well the worst scoring defense was the Chiefs and they were at home yesterday. They are also banged up. Color me optimistic, but I don't think their issues are just "vanilla scheme" during the preseason.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:27 AM   #20
montrose
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway

Damn, after reading SoCal's post I was starting to feel optimistic but then I remembered...

In all seriousness I think the key is that the game cannot be close. Denver is not setup to win close games, they cant stop the run and have a QB whose production drops significantly when under pressure (literally and more importantly- figuratively). If the Broncos can score 10-14 points on their 1st 3 possesions I think they can turn their pass rush loose and win the game quite easily, but if they get out to a slow start or goodness forbid get down early (as I suspect)- it'll be a long night.

Key to the game: Stopping the screen pass

Prediction: Oakland 34, Denver 17
Game isnt at close as score indicates as Orton puts up numbers in garbage time.
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:31 AM   #21
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by montrose View Post
Prediction: Oakland 34, Denver 17
Game isnt at close as score indicates as Orton puts up numbers in garbage time.
Wow, your cup of optimism overfloweth.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 06:32 AM   #22
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Wow, your cup of optimism overfloweth.
He cant get laid, what's there to be optimistic about?
Old 09-12-2011, 06:33 AM   #23
stopgap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
He cant get laid, what's there to be optimistic about?
He doesn't spend munnies on whores?
Old 09-12-2011, 06:35 AM   #24
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by stopgap View Post
He doesn't spend munnies on whores?
I dont know what he spends his money on. Just giving Taj Mahal a hard time is all.
Old 09-12-2011, 06:44 AM   #25
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Orton ****s the bed, half Bronco's nation heads explode screaming for Tebow to go in the game....

Raiders 24- Denver 7
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote