The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2011, 07:13 PM   #1
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default Thoughts on new kickoff strategy

Collinsworth is saying they should punt the kickoffs for more hang time.

I'm thinking kickers should put away the driver and pull out the pitching wedge... get the cover teams down there quicker and make them start from the 10.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #2
briane
Seasoned Veteran

http://www.privatepostmark.com

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
Collinsworth is saying they should punt the kickoffs for more hang time.

I'm thinking kickers should put away the driver and pull out the pitching wedge... get the cover teams down there quicker and make them start from the 10.
I like the idea. I bet some team will start doing that in a week or so, then they all will do it.
briane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:32 PM   #3
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Why risk it though? Save 5 yards by getting down there yet giving up the occasional return TD? No point in risking it.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson

I am watching the game on DVR and have only seen 2 kickoffs, the 1st was returned to the 24 so I think teams with bad weather or weak kickers will still see about the same # of returns.

Personally if I were the NFL I would draw an line starting at the right hash of the 33 yard line to the left hash of the 32 then another from the left hash of the 33 to the right hash of the 33 roughly making an X then kick off from roughly the 32 1/2 yards (give or take a few inches) and kick off from there. You might get a few less returns but still give teams with great return ST's a chance for a big play.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:28 AM   #5
KevinJames
Opthomas Prime

Lions already do this, saw it all preseason from them. Schwartz even talked about it.

Broncos shouldnt do it.... dont risk a return
KevinJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:10 AM   #6
extralife
Ring of Famer

Why would you ever do this? Kickers are always told to kick the ball as hard as they can on a kickoff. Why? Because a touchback is a good thing for the kicking team. The option to try to pin teams inside the twenty with a kickoff has always existed--five less yards isn't going to make it appreciably easier to accomplish--and teams have never done it. Because it would be stupid.
extralife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:03 AM   #7
Drek
Ring of Famer

Unless the NFL changes a touchback from setting up at the 20 and instead put it at the 30 or 35 no one will do this very often. Some people will get cute and try it, occasionally get burned, and the rest of the league will avoid it as a result.

They really should move the touchback out. Then it becomes a much more dynamic return game without as much of a running start before collisions, which is what the league was trying to remove when they moved the kickoff 5 yards forward.
Drek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:04 AM   #8
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I'd take giving the ball at the 20 all day against the possibility of not only giving up a touchdown, but a large return to give momentum to the other team.

It'd be nothing but stupid to "attempt" to pin teams inside the 20. It's such a small return with exponential risks on the other side.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:39 AM   #9
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Spot the ball on the 30 after a touchback on kickoffs.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:57 AM   #10
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Allow free kicks with no out-of-bounds penalty.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #11
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

This method couldn't be used in Texas Stadium w the huge tv in the way. Haha.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #12
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

Where is this stigma that if the return team gets the ball, they're going to get a return TD coming from?! There were only 23 kickoff return TDs last season out of 1949 kickoffs, that's not even 1 per team. And that was with normal kickoffs...a 1.18% chance. GOOD GOD KICK IT AWAY FROM SPROLES!!!11!!!1!! Don't eat what ESPN is feeding you.

If you're getting increased hang time, that means increased time for coverage to get down the field forcing a fair catch. It's a clever idea that could add 10 yards to your opposing team's offensive drives.

My only concern is if punters can be this accurate over an entire season? I mean shanking a punt seems more likely than shanking a kick from a tee...
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 02:55 PM   #13
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinJames View Post
Lions already do this, saw it all preseason from them. Schwartz even talked about it.

Broncos shouldnt do it.... dont risk a return
From what I understand, the Lions have been pretty good on special teams coverage the last few years... even when they went 0-16
Old 09-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #14
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf

Eat greedy

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow

Like Broncenstein said.... change the ruls a bit - start from the 30 or allow free kicks, that way we're still seeing returns.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #15
OBF1
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin

As it stands now, I would hope Denver does not try it, why get "Cute" when every single kickoff should be going throgh the endzone with the altitude. If you can not stop a team from marching 80 yards for a score, what makes you think you can stop the same team from marching 90 yards

Leave well enough alone.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 03:18 PM   #16
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightysmurf View Post
Like Broncenstein said.... change the ruls a bit - start from the 30 or allow free kicks, that way we're still seeing returns.
I think the current rule is working to plan. They want to eliminate kick returns in the name of player safety. To me, the ideal rule change would be to let these guys play some GD football.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:25 PM   #17
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara

Kickers must kick from wheelchairs with their non-dominant foot.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 04:19 PM   #18
DrFate
Lord of Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
Allow free kicks with no out-of-bounds penalty.
You need some sort of out-of-bounds rule (or something) to prevent 15 onside kicks that all go out of bounds
DrFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:10 PM   #19
Atwater His Ass
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHallblows View Post
Where is this stigma that if the return team gets the ball, they're going to get a return TD coming from?! There were only 23 kickoff return TDs last season out of 1949 kickoffs, that's not even 1 per team. And that was with normal kickoffs...a 1.18% chance. GOOD GOD KICK IT AWAY FROM SPROLES!!!11!!!1!! Don't eat what ESPN is feeding you.
It's not just about TD's. It's about the potential to give up a big return that can swing momentum to the other team.

Way to lazy to do any research, but I'd hazard a guess that most kick offs that are returned routinely get past the 20. The risk to reward ratio is just way out of whack if you have a kicker than can routinely bomb kick offs out of the end zone. Doesn't make sense to do anything else with the current rules as they are.
Atwater His Ass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:27 PM   #20
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

It's not as easy as you think to just drastically kick the ball higher and drop it down at the 10yrd line. That's why they like it when the kicker just whacks it out the back, no chance for a return.

I do think though you should whack a few out, then kick a few short, try and make a big play. But if the kicker can always make them start at 20, you do it. Why risk the return.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote