The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Coming to Denver for the Bears game... advice on where to stay in Denver??

Not sure if this counts as off-topic or not, move if necessary mods.

Anyway, I will finally be making it to Colorado in December to see my first Broncos home game, against the Bears. I'm flying from South Korea and a friend of mine will be flying from Ireland, the loose plan is to attend the game on Sunday (tickets already secured) and spend a week just getting drunk and having fun in Denver.

What I need from you Maners is advice on where to stay. Neither of us are exactly loaded so we're looking for a hostel or reasonably priced hotel in a part of town that will have plenty going on.

Also, advice on good tourist things to do in Denver, good restaurants to eat in (been in Korea for almost a year now eating mostly rice and soup, I intend to gain a tremendous amount of weight on my trip) and anything else you can think of would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by The Joker; 09-07-2011 at 09:15 PM..
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

There have been many threads on this and maybe one in the tailgate section. Hotel vq is next to the stadium and they have a shuttle to LoDo. That is the area u want to party. 16th street mall is good touristy too. I seem to use priceline.com for hotel and car rental. There are breweries throughout the one hour radius so check those out and grab a college game and concert.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:44 PM   #3
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Personally I'd stay anywhere Downtown. Easy shot to the stadium and plenty to do. There have been a few brewery openings in the city as well which makes it pretty easy to find really good beer really close to Downtown
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
MagicHef
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

My most favoritest restautant ever, Jack-n-Grill, is about a 10 minute walk north of the stadium, at 25th & Federal. I would recommend it.
MagicHef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 11:26 PM   #5
serious hops
Developmental poster

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Kuper

Don't have any advice on a specific place, but I'd agree that staying in the downtown area is going to give you access to the most stuff you want. The 16th Street Mall/LoDo (lower downtown) area is a little yuppy for my tastes, but proximity to the stadium is obviously important, and the free mall shuttle is convenient for going out eating and drinking. A few places I'd recommend if you do stay in that area:

La Pasadita

As good as hole in the wall Mexican gets, not far from downtown.

Falling Rock Taphouse

LoDo bar, has the best beer selection in Denver as far as I know, and pool tables and couches downstairs. Chill place.

The Wynkoop is a solid brewpub in the same area.
serious hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 05:08 AM   #6
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Stay downtown, play downtown. Simple.
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:40 AM   #7
LittleFloyd
Seasoned Veteran

Hall of Fame

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pot Roast

Why come for a Bears game. The Denver Bears left town years and years ago.
LittleFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:52 AM   #8
El Guapo
aka mav_7. who?

Agreed, it looks as if were making a move to become the Denver Chiefs.
El Guapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 07:07 AM   #9
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Have to second the recommendation of Jack N Grill. God, I friggin' love that place.

Places to stay: Downtown is best, but if you're low on funds, you might want to try just north of Downtown. There are a couple of hotels at I-25 and Speer Blvd that are both reasonably close to the stadium (and Mexican restaurant La Loma runs a shuttle to the stadium on gameday) and reasonably priced.

Breweries:
Strange Brewing Co is just South of the Stadium, about a block from Brooklyn's at SA Field. Great beer. Try the Cherry Kriek and the Farmhouse Ale and the IPAphany.

Wynkoop Brewery - opened by now-Governor John Hickenlooper, this place is fantastic, with really excellent upscale bar fare and solid beers. Try the Milk Stout.

Great Divide Brewing Co. - Becoming nationally known, and is my favorite brewery (and brewery scene) in the entire state. 22nd and Arapahoe. Try... anything. Really. But especially good are the oak-aged Yeti Stout, Hades (a traditional Belgian ale), and the Collette. Exceptional beers. And usually during happy hour (and beyond) one of the local food trucks will be out front serving a range of cuisine.

Denver Beer Co. - Just opened in the Platte River/Confluence Park area, which is near the giant REI. When I say just opened, I mean like two weeks ago. They're still getting their footing, but they do have very good beer. Really enjoyed the Graham Cracker Porter. You could serve that ****er with marshmallows and chocolate, and nobody would complain.

Enjoy the city. Lots to do, especially when you've got a week.
Old 09-08-2011, 07:17 AM   #10
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

If you are staying for more than the gameday, you definitely want to be downtown, if you are just in for the game I found it pretty convenient to stay at one of the airport hotels (they tend to be cheaper and newer) and take the airport transit downtown which is cheap and not too long of a ride.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #11
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Thanks for all the posts guys, really appreciate it.

Jack n Grill has made the list, and I'll do my best to get to all these breweries at some point.

Presently targeting a place on Colfax Ave to stay in. Close to Invesco and right in the heart of downtown.

One more thing, are tickets for the Avalanche and Nuggets easily attained? May as well check a game out for both of them while I'm in town.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:32 AM   #12
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
There have been many threads on this and maybe one in the tailgate section. Hotel vq is next to the stadium and they have a shuttle to LoDo. That is the area u want to party. 16th street mall is good touristy too. I seem to use priceline.com for hotel and car rental. There are breweries throughout the one hour radius so check those out and grab a college game and concert.

Name your price with Priceline is a hell of a deal every time. VQ's kinda dumpy despite its perfect location. Anywhere downtown is great--Warwick, Magnolia, etc.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:33 AM   #13
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post

Jack n Grill has made the list, and I'll do my best to get to all these breweries at some point.

Presently targeting a place on Colfax Ave to stay in. Close to Invesco and right in the heart of downtown.

One more thing, are tickets for the Avalanche and Nuggets easily attained? May as well check a game out for both of them while I'm in town.

Colfax? YOu can probably find a, er, blowout sale on hookers as well!
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:34 AM   #14
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicHef View Post
My most favoritest restautant ever, Jack-n-Grill, is about a 10 minute walk north of the stadium, at 25th & Federal. I would recommend it.
Jack n grill is awesome, they have a 7 lb burrito challenge. U will definately gain weight then.
Peoples Champ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 08:36 AM   #15
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:

I would stay as close to the stadium as you can. Their is nothing like just going to the game and stumbling to your hotel room. The lodo area around coors field and market street are probably the 2 areas that will be active. The down is a little dead though on sunday nights, I would go out friday or saturday night.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:46 AM   #16
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
Colfax? YOu can probably find a, er, blowout sale on hookers as well!
Colfax is good if you are going to some of the concert halls or wanting to see the Guardian Angels in action. Ramada only place I stayed in Colfax area. Hey, if ethopian food is your taste, you are at the right location.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:47 AM   #17
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples Champ View Post
Jack n grill is awesome, they have a 7 lb burrito challenge. U will definately gain weight then.
Old 09-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #18
Peoples Champ
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Good mexican close to the stadium is La Lomas. Im sure there are a lot of good mexican places, but that is our favorite. Its on 24th and federal. Bennys is also good and fairly close to downtown.

Good Pizza down there is Old Chicago, even though its a chain, everyone I know likes their pizza and all the other things on their menu.

The denver chop house and del friscos are good steak places, but very expensive.

The 16th street mall has chain restuaruants like chilis or fridays, also many fast food options and bowling alley and some bars.

The wynkoop brewery has good food.

I would also consider taking a day trip to boulder, colorado springs, or ft collins, just to get a change in scenery. Or if you have time then even head up to the mountains to Breckenridge or Central City for some gambling.

Jacksons by Coors field has good food, and at night it gets bouncin with some young hot chicks. Same with Lodos, and the Sports Collumn.

Jacksons has good green chille for denver, but not as good as green chille in pueblo. But if you have never had it, I would try it whether its at jacksons, la lomas, bennys , or anywhere down there. Its a local colorado cuisine and Colorado claims to make it better then anywhere in the country. I like it. Even former bronco Mark Schlereth has his own frozen version in stores which is pretty good and also donates to charity when you buy it.

Last edited by Peoples Champ; 09-08-2011 at 09:00 AM..
Old 09-08-2011, 08:50 AM   #19
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
Colfax is good if you are going to some of the concert halls or wanting to see the Guardian Angels in action. Ramada only place I stayed in Colfax area. Hey, if ethopian food is your taste, you are at the right location.
Ramada was actually the place I had recommended to me, what did you think of it?

Sounds like I should maybe be staying somewhere else?
Old 09-08-2011, 09:02 AM   #20
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Ramada was actually the place I had recommended to me, what did you think of it?

Like I stated, not the safest area if you want to walk around. There are much better places for the same cost by doing priceline and stay on Quebec street. All the action is far from colfax. Get a car so you can go to diff. Parts of the state. Fort Collins might have CSU playing same weekend and they have New Belgium Brewery there.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:06 AM   #21
bfoflcommish
Time for Broncos Football

GO..........BRONCOS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Steve Atwater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples Champ View Post
Good mexican close to the stadium is La Lomas. Im sure there are a lot of good mexican places, but that is our favorite. Its on 24th and federal. Bennys is also good and fairly close to downtown.

Good Pizza down there is Old Chicago, even though its a chain, everyone I know likes their pizza and all the other things on their menu.

The denver chop house and del friscos are good steak places, but very expensive.

The 16th street mall has chain restuaruants like chilis or fridays, also many fast food options and bowling alley and some bars.

The wynkoop brewery has good food.

I would also consider taking a day trip to boulder, colorado springs, or ft collins, just to get a change in scenery. Or if you have time then even head up to the mountains to Breckenridge or Central City for some gambling.

Jacksons by Coors field has good food, and at night it gets bouncin with some young hot chicks. Same with Lodos, and the Sports Collumn.

Jacksons has good green chille for denver, but not as good as green chille in pueblo. But if you have never had it, I would try it whether its at jacksons, la lomas, bennys , or anywhere down there. Its a local colorado cuisine and Colorado claims to make it better then anywhere in the country. I like it. Even former bronco Mark Schlereth has his own frozen version in stores which is pretty good and also donates to charity when you buy it.
new mexico makes the best green chile hands down!!!!!! the best places in colorado that make it (ie: Jack and Grill)are new mexican resturants.
bfoflcommish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #22
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.

Touched By God

Quote:

Honestly, you'll be fine at the Ramada. Colfax -- especially that area -- has come a LONG way. Not the safest area in the world, but far from dangerous. ****, it's a major drag in a major American city. There are harmless bums and stuff, but you'll be fine.

Great dive bars along there too. Nob Hill is awesome. Good food and booze at Irish Snug.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:26 AM   #23
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

be sure to stop in for a brew and a sopapilla

bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:31 AM   #24
Meck77

mon chalet
Meck77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #25
TheElusiveKyleOrton