The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
Gort
Ring of Famer
 
Gort's Avatar
 
Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,346

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook
Default NFL player can't afford Goodell's fine, is put on payment plan

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl-wp6605
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Shananahan
Guest
 

Posts: n/a
Default

I didn't realize how much practice squad players are paid. That's a pretty sweet deal.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #3
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,757

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin
Default

I find it hard to feel bad for a guy making $5,700.00 a week.... What am I thinking, I find it IMPOSSIBLE to feel bad for this guy period.
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #4
Ratboy
It's all over...
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
ಠ_ಠ

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 15,569
Default

IIRC, in the new CBA it mentions something about only paying 5% of his weekly pay.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 04:59 PM   #5
Gort
Ring of Famer
 
Gort's Avatar
 
Shabby Poster. Very Shabby.

Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 7,346

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kelly Brook
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
I find it hard to feel bad for a guy making $5,700.00 a week.... What am I thinking, I find it IMPOSSIBLE to feel bad for this guy period.
if i understand correctly, he only gets paid during the season. if that's 17 weeks, then $5700 x 17 = $96900. figure 45% for taxes and that's down to $53295. so a $20K fine is a BIG chunk of his net income. maybe Goodell and the NFL should reconsider how they calculate fines...
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:01 PM   #6
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,757

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsJohnGalt View Post
if i understand correctly, he only gets paid during the season. if that's 17 weeks, then $5700 x 17 = $96900. figure 45% for taxes and that's down to $53295. so a $20K fine is a BIG chunk of his net income. maybe Goodell and the NFL should reconsider how they calculate fines...
Maybe players should pay attention to the rules a little more
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #7
Bob's your Information Minister
Chiefs > Broncos
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 26,181

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CHRIS KUPER!!!
Default

So he makes around 95 grand BEFORE taxes IF he's on the practice squad all 17 weeks.

League takes 20 out of that.

**** da league.
Bob's your Information Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:05 PM   #8
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,685

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Maybe players should pay attention to the rules a little more
A bubble guy like that really has to sell out and go for broke just to try and turn some heads and stick.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #9
Ratboy
It's all over...
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
ಠ_ಠ

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 15,569
Default

Ah, nevermind.

This was from PFT in regards to Moore.

"The good news for Moore is that the new Collective Bargaining Agreement protects players from fines of more than 25 percent of their weekly base salary, which means his fine will likely be reduced to 25 percent of his weekly pay of $22,058.82, or $5,514.71."
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #10
Aftermath
Creep
 
Aftermath's Avatar
 
Broncos | Flyers | Tigers

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Dirty Glove
Posts: 834

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker
Default

Goodell sucks, that is unbelievable tbh.
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:09 PM   #11
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh
 
Flex Gunmetal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: COLORADO
Posts: 3,074

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Maybe players should pay attention to the rules a little more
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:12 PM   #12
Ratboy
It's all over...
 
Ratboy's Avatar
 
ಠ_ಠ

Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: England
Posts: 15,569
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
So he makes around 95 grand BEFORE taxes IF he's on the practice squad all 17 weeks.

League takes 20 out of that.

**** da league.
I'd be ****ed if the Air Force deducted 20k (or living on base) from me.

NFL needs to look into the system and revamp it.
Ratboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:13 PM   #13
DenverBroncosJM
Post here Vine
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: California
Posts: 1,123
Default

PS players do only get paid during the season.
DenverBroncosJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:59 PM   #14
OBF1
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Orlando, Florida
Posts: 15,757

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Marvin Austin
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
A bubble guy like that really has to sell out and go for broke just to try and turn some heads and stick.
Let's say an opponents offensive guard/tackle is a bubble guy having to sell out.... Takes a short cut, figures screw the rules and takes out Doom or Miller's knee's tearing an ACL ending their season....


Do you make the exact same statement?
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:02 PM   #15
Requiem
~~~
 
Requiem's Avatar
 
~ ~ ~

Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Earth Division
Posts: 24,315

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Princes of Tara
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob's your Information Minister View Post
So he makes around 95 grand BEFORE taxes IF he's on the practice squad all 17 weeks.

League takes 20 out of that.

**** da league.
True dat!
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:34 PM   #16
Flex Gunmetal
Icy Fresh
 
Flex Gunmetal's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: COLORADO
Posts: 3,074

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Francis Daytona
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Let's say an opponents offensive guard/tackle is a bubble guy having to sell out.... Takes a short cut, figures screw the rules and takes out Doom or Miller's knee's tearing an ACL ending their season....


Do you make the exact same statement?
Fines should scale with contracts.
Flex Gunmetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:40 PM   #17
boltaneer
17
 
boltaneer's Avatar
 
ATTA BABY!

Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: America's Finest City
Posts: 4,557
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex Gunmetal View Post
Fines should scale with contracts.
Definitely agree with that.

A $20K fine is going to hurt this scrub big time but not James Harrison, though he'll whine about it for years.

BTW, why is Goodell's name in the title of this thread? He is not the one levying the fines.
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:44 PM   #18
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm
 
TheReverend's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Posts: 37,685

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBF1 View Post
Let's say an opponents offensive guard/tackle is a bubble guy having to sell out.... Takes a short cut, figures screw the rules and takes out Doom or Miller's knee's tearing an ACL ending their season....


Do you make the exact same statement?
1. What's a bubble guy doing playing against Doom or Miller?

2. An illegal cut block is a lot more deliberate than the ambiguous illegal hit for defenders.

3. Yup, I make the same statement.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 06:57 PM   #19
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum
 
broncosteven's Avatar
 
AFC WEST CHAMPS Tough and Competent

Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tranquility Base
Posts: 37,855

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ Anderson
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
1. What's a bubble guy doing playing against Doom or Miller?

2. An illegal cut block is a lot more deliberate than the ambiguous illegal hit for defenders.

3. Yup, I make the same statement.
Well KFC got Cassell and their TE hurt playing them against GB's bubble players.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:04 PM   #20
TheElusiveKyleOrton
BOOM.
 
TheElusiveKyleOrton's Avatar
 
Touched By God

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Denver
Posts: 10,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex Gunmetal View Post
__________________
Nobody puts Jay-bee in the corner.
TheElusiveKyleOrton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:10 PM   #21
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer
 
maher_tyler's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: AZ
Posts: 6,714

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Even thought he's a practice squad player..you would think some of the teammates would pitch and help the guy out...
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 PM   #22
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards
 
Rock Chalk's Avatar
 
Laus Deo

Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: The Backside of the Internet
Posts: 29,721

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratboy View Post
Ah, nevermind.

This was from PFT in regards to Moore.

"The good news for Moore is that the new Collective Bargaining Agreement protects players from fines of more than 25 percent of their weekly base salary, which means his fine will likely be reduced to 25 percent of his weekly pay of $22,058.82, or $5,514.71."
Dude makes 22grand a week?

Yeah, **** him I dont care how much he gets fine.

Im a hater like that.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:36 PM   #23
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,917

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

That's like 60k a year... PS players should make more considering the tool on their bodies.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:42 PM   #24
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer
 
tsiguy96's Avatar
 
New to the Forum

Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 12,746

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

thought he was gonna make the final cut at jax too.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #25
Punisher
Kiss the shoes!
 
Punisher's Avatar
 
We run the AFC WOOOOOOO!

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Broncos Video Vault
Posts: 7,566

Adopt-a-Bronco:
I4jelway7 = God
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
I didn't realize how much practice squad players are paid. That's a pretty sweet deal.
5k a week that's more than a warehouse Supervisor
Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:17 AM.


Denver Broncos