The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2011, 03:06 AM   #1
Boomhauer

Default DL - Depth

If I could give out gameballs, Unrein and Brown would each get one.

Bunkley, Thomas and Vickerson should give us the force in the middel we've been lacking for years. Bunkley is a grinder, Thomas a rusher and Vickerson quick and strong. Depending on situation, we can rotate these guys in and should be very effective.

NT-Unrein vs McBean : Mitch had a great game last night, controlling his space, collapsing the pocket, moving through trash and keeping his eyes on the play. Completely awesome job, despite were he lined up and with who. If Bunkley is limited or can't start week1, Unrein should be the guy.
McBean has always been crap and this preseason is no different. All the things I just applauded Unrein for, and Bunkley also has, McBean has never had. All he does is occupy a OLman's hands, gets pushed into other defenders and occasionally gets to the play after everyone else. Guys a scrub.
Not sure what the deal is with Warren - if he'll be IR'd or hold a roster spot. We'll know soon enough.

DT-Brown vs Jarmon vs Presley : If we keep 5DTs, I'd go with Brown. While all three showed good push and could hold ground against the double team, I was very impressed by how much quicker Brown is. Against the pass; whether it was his rip or spin move, crossing to a point in the backfield or stunting around teammates, the guy can flat move. Against the run; he would recognize, roll off his blockers, hustle through trash down the line and stuck with plays even when swamped. Like Unrein, an awesome job.
Jarmon hasn't shown anywhere near the quicks or awareness of Brown. He's done an OK job, with better awareness and rolling off blockers than scrubs like McBean, but looks more like a body on the line than a football player. If we need depth later in the season, he'd probab;ly be on the short list.
Presley has a good bull rush, but also wears blinders when he plays. Cut him.

LDE-Hunter vs Brown vs Ayers vs Jarmon : Hunter has won the LDE position. He's incredibly quick, regularly beating his blocker, shutting down the corner and collapsing the inside. He's very instinctive of the play, a solid tackler and has great hustle in pursuit. Against the pass, he's disruptive and multiplies Miller's effectiveness through stunting. The only knock I'd give him is the ability for teams to run right at him or bumping him to DT in nickle. For that, there's Brown.
All the reason's that Brown is better than Jarmon at DT also applies to the LDE position. At bull rushing and stacking the run, he's as good as Ayers or Jarmon, but has the quickness and coordination to get off his block and move through trash that they lack. His quickness should also make him very effective getting into the backfield and stunting with Miller. He won't shut down the corner or get sacks like Hunter can, but no team will be successful running at him.
I figure Hunter and Brown would rotate at the LDE position, just like Bunkley-Thomas-Vick at DT, depending on situation.
The only difference between Ayers and Jarmon is how long they've been on the team. These guys are interchangable and should only make the roster as depth and SP-Ts.
Jarmon, much like Ayers, has good push, but no quickness to beat or disengage from his blocker, awareness of his space or hustle through trash. Since he's not as good as Brown inside and only as good as Ayers outside, he's gone.

RDE-Dumervil vs Harvey vs Beal : Doom is a probowler. 'Nough said.
Harvey has looked very good and is a solid rotation and backup for Doom.
Beal hadn't looked good this preseason until last night. He showed up, especially in the redzone, and earned a spot on the P-Squad. Was controlling his space, kept his head up and followed/pursued the play. He's worth keeping around and could be depth later this year at either DE position - if he continues improving as quickly as he has over the last month and puts on some weight.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2011, 03:09 AM   #2
LongDongJohnson
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

whats with the spam?
LongDongJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #3
FISH
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Good analysis and insight. Am I missing something? Why is this spam?
FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #4
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

How would Hunter's play against backups unseat Ayers?
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:17 AM   #5
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ayers

lol @ hunter over ayers.
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #6
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRBronco View Post
How would Hunter's play against backups unseat Ayers?
That is a very good question. At most it might get him consideration for a shot to compete with Ayers. Little more.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
Bunkley, Thomas and Vickerson should give us the force in the middel we've been lacking for years.
Ummm, Thomas and Vickerson have been on the team for years. They're not new, so what new "force" are we really expecting out of them? And Bunkley's hurt so......
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #8
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

How has Harvey looked good? I will go on record right now and say Harvey will be cut deservedly so, he is not fast enough to be a speed rusher, he has no power and he plays the run worse than at least a handful of other players we have on the roster at that position. Hunter is amazing in that he is always a step late for sacks, he is the guy who always gets right in the QBs face just after the ball has been released, he gives good pursuit from the backside on run plays but he can't set the edge at all to force the play, the only reason it looked decent yesterday is that Levi Brown is a 320lb turnstile.
gyldenlove is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #9
Rascal
RIP

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Turf

Bunk, Vick, and Thomas are more like "C" level DTs.

Just like the o-line, there is no depth @ DT.

Jarmon will stick just because of his verstatility, but no way in hell Hunter starts over Ayers. Outside Jarmon, and that is a probably a reach, I'm not sure I would classify the rest as "depth".
Rascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

THis moron just doesn't like Ayers so anything he says about him should be taken with a grain of salt.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #11
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
Bunk, Vick, and Thomas are more like "C" level DTs.

Just like the o-line, there is no depth @ DT.

Jarmon will stick just because of his verstatility, but no way in hell Hunter starts over Ayers. Outside Jarmon, and that is a probably a reach, I'm not sure I would classify the rest as "depth".
Bunkley might be a B. He seems very stout against the run to me. He simply doesn't have the pass rush that the Eagles expected when they drafted him so high.