The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-02-2011, 02:05 AM   #1
Boomhauer

Default WR - Depth

Lloyd and Royal are our two best starters and Decker an excellent slot receiver. Those three give the Broncos every chance to have a top-notch passing attack. Behind them, we'll probably keep another two or three.

Davis vs Willis : I thought Britt was very good last preseason and has again impressed this year. He's our best #4 WR to line up outside and bump Royal inside. He's just as athletic as the other two, but is best at highpointing the ball and, most important;y, blocking downfield and for the run. Willis is also very good, with great eyes and quicks, but doesn't have the physical strength to win a jump ball or block.

Goodwin vs Anderson vs Orton vs Riley : If we keep 6WRs, Goodwin's my pick. If not, I hope he makes the P-Squad. He had a great night on SP-Ts, blocked well and has all the physical tools. Neither Anderson or Orton impressed. While Anderson can run routes, is an OK blocker and can catch, he's not fast or quick enough for the NFL. I can only see him as a blocker on kickoffs, which are now irrelevant. Orton is a dime-O-dozen receiver we may consider late in the season if a P-Squad spot opens. Riley is camp fodder with wheels, but zero blocking ability and risky hands. Thomas is an epic McD bust that probably doesn't make the team next year.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2011, 02:14 AM   #2
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

In the TE thread I mentioned Fox has always kept only 3 TE. Maybe because the rookie TE Thomas is so athletic they will keep 4 TE, and only 5 WR.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:57 AM   #3
FISH
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

You are referring to Demaryius Thomas as a bust because of his injuries I assume? If that fella could ever get healthy and play...I think he would be incredible. He showed some flashes of greatness the couple of times he could walk
FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:03 AM   #4
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Eron Riley had two huge plays in yesterday's game (the long touchdown from Tebow, and the 89-yard catch-and-run from Weber). I think he's gonna make the roster based on that performance. David Anderson also had an amazing catch where he got hammered but still held on to the ball -- I think he's ahead of Davis as well.

Here's where I have them ranked -- I think we'll only keep 5, and stash Riley and/or Davis on the practice squad if they're eligible:

1. Brandon Lloyd
2. Eddie Royal
3. Eric Decker
4. Matt Willis
5. David Anderson
6. Eron Riley
7. Britt Davis
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #5
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatFan View Post
Eron Riley had two huge plays in yesterday's game (the long touchdown from Tebow, and the 89-yard catch-and-run from Weber). I think he's gonna make the roster based on that performance. David Anderson also had an amazing catch where he got hammered but still held on to the ball -- I think he's ahead of Davis as well.

Here's where I have them ranked -- I think we'll only keep 5, and stash Riley and/or Davis on the practice squad if they're eligible:

1. Brandon Lloyd
2. Eddie Royal
3. Eric Decker
4. Matt Willis
5. David Anderson
6. Eron Riley
7. Britt Davis
That is my ranking as well.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
FISH
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

1. Brandon Lloyd
2. Eddie Royal
3. Eric Decker
4. Matt Willis
5. David Anderson
6. Eron Riley
7. Britt Davis

Yeah....I think this is accurate but it should be Anderson/Riley. After last night I think Riley made enough noise to challenge. But wait...was it him with the blatant drop at the beginning of the game?
FISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:36 AM   #7
Jekyll15Hyde
Anti Frown Cannon & McD..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
In the TE thread I mentioned Fox has always kept only 3 TE. Maybe because the rookie TE Thomas is so athletic they will keep 4 TE, and only 5 WR.
this
Jekyll15Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:40 AM   #8
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthemdown View Post
Virgil Green as well (he's probably faster than most of our recievers) -- I can easily see the team keeping 5 receivers, and considering Thomas and Green as "emergency back-ups" at that position.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #9
Agamemnon

Quote:
Virgil Green as well (he's probably faster than most of our recievers) -- I can easily see the team keeping 5 receivers, and considering Thomas and Green as "emergency back-ups" at that position.
Faster than who? The only receiver I can think of that might be close would be Decker. Maybe some of the scrubs that I don't know very well. But Royal, Willis, Lloyd, and Thomas are all faster than Virgil Green.
Old 09-02-2011, 09:44 AM   #10
Baba Booey
twitter: @dpieza

HURRY HURRY!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhauer View Post
Thomas is an epic McD bust that probably doesn't make the team next year.
Baba Booey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 10:14 AM   #11
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Faster than who? The only receiver I can think of that might be close would be Decker. Maybe some of the scrubs that I don't know very well. But Royal, Willis, Lloyd, and Thomas are all faster than Virgil Green.
I should have said "as fast or faster than many of our receivers"... my point being that Green can probably play WR in a pinch....

Eron Riley, 2009 - 4.29 (not invited to combine; pro day time)
Matthew Willis, 2007 - no time available, but ran track in college, so probably pretty fast....
Demaryius Thomas, 20010 - no time available, but estimated at 4.35 - 4.40
Eddie Royal, 2008 - 4.39
D'Andre Goodwin, 2011 - 4.39 (estimated; did not run at combine)
Britt Davis, 2009 - 4.50
Virgil Green, 2011 - 4.54
Eric Decker, 2010 - 4.54 (estimated; did not run at combine)
Greg Orton, 2009 - 4.61
Brandon Lloyd, 2003 - 4.62
David Anderson, 2006 - 4.62
Julius Thomas, 2011 - 4.68

Last edited by BowlenBall; 09-02-2011 at 10:21 AM..
Old 09-02-2011, 10:28 AM   #12
Agamemnon

Quote:
I should have said "as fast or faster than many of our receivers"... my point being that Green can probably play WR in a pinch....

Eron Riley, 2009 - 4.29 (not invited to combine; pro day time)
Matthew Willis, 2007 - no time available, but ran track in college, so probably pretty fast....
Demaryius Thomas, 20010 - no time available, but estimated at 4.35 - 4.40
Eddie Royal, 2008 - 4.39
D'Andre Goodwin, 2011 - 4.39 (estimated; did not run at combine)
Britt Davis, 2009 - 4.50
Virgil Green, 2011 - 4.54
Eric Decker, 2010 - 4.54 (estimated; did not run at combine)
Greg Orton, 2009 - 4.61
Brandon Lloyd, 2003 - 4.62
David Anderson, 2006 - 4.62
Julius Thomas, 2011 - 4.68
I have a hard time believing that Lloyd is that slow. Guess he's just one of those "football speed" people.

And honestly I wouldn't mind them trying to convert him to a WR. Two receiving TEs that can't block seems a bit much to me. It's funny to think of a WR duo of D. Thomas and Green, no doubt about that.

Last edited by Agamemnon; 09-02-2011 at 10:32 AM..