The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #1
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default Source: Chris Johnson gets $53M

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/69...says-worth-53m

Greeeeeeeeed!! I'd never pay a RB that much money..unless it was TD's identical twin.
maher_tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-2011, 02:05 PM   #2
GreatBronco16
!!!TEAM!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
The Defense

He can buy him a new grill now.
GreatBronco16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Stories like this should ALWAYS be the response to people who want to believe that football players actually care about the fans...or the game, for that matter...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:06 PM   #4
baja
Elite Sissie

Because

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Cito's Sissies

I predict many teams will lose money in the coming seasons.
baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #5
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Call me crazy but isn't he overrated? He had a great season 2 years ago... but he was inconsistent last year. A lot of teams found ways to bottle him up (weirdly, including us).
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:08 PM   #6
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Bad decision by the Titans. $30 million guaranteed as well from what I read. That is a ton of money for a dude that one play away from having his career ended (All RB really are).
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #7
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Call me crazy but isn't he overrated? He had a great season 2 years ago... but he was inconsistent last year. A lot of teams found ways to bottle him up (weirdly, including us).
I was fully expecting him to break rushing records against us that game.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:15 PM   #8
Smiling Assassin27
Louisville Soul Train

Hurry Hurry

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

AP's drooling about now.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #9
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bronco View Post
Bad decision by the Titans. $30 million guaranteed as well from what I read. That is a ton of money for a dude that one play away from having his career ended (All RB really are).
And yet you you think the ones that make it 12 years and rush for over 11k are not HOF worthy.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #10
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

Peterson should be the highest paid RB. He is treated like a slave after all.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Anybody else see Chris Johnson go the way of Larry Johnson? They're very similar. Both of their coaches ran their legs off and now CJ got his money like LJ, so what is there to prove?
CJ's already dropped off last year. I can see him slowing even more.
KCStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #12
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBroncos4life View Post
And yet you you think the ones that make it 12 years and rush for over 11k are not HOF worthy.
I think you measure running backs by their peak productivity (over a 3-5 year stretch).
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:36 PM   #13
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Bronco View Post
Bad decision by the Titans. $30 million guaranteed as well from what I read. That is a ton of money for a dude that one play away from having his career ended(All RB really are).

He has had over 1k touches his first 3 seasons. He's due for a serious injury.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:38 PM   #14
serious hops
Developmental poster

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatBronco16 View Post
He can buy him a new grill now.

serious hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #15
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
Anybody else see Chris Johnson go the way of Larry Johnson? They're very similar. Both of their coaches ran their legs off and now CJ got his money like LJ, so what is there to prove?
Even worse is CJ's game is 100% speed based.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 02:40 PM   #16
maher_tyler
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCStud View Post
1,364 yards rushing, 4.3 per, 11 TD's...44 rec, 225 yards, 5.6 per, 1 TD is a pretty good year when your the only threat on the field. I'm sure defenses game planned the **** out of him..just sayin.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:48 PM   #17
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
1,364 yards rushing, 4.3 per, 11 TD's...44 rec, 225 yards, 5.6 per, 1 TD is a pretty good year when your the only threat on the field. I'm sure defenses game planned the **** out of him..just sayin.
He's gonna wear down though if they keep pounding the rock with him. CJ has 975 carries in his career. Jamaal Charles only has 487 and they were both drafted in 2008. CJ has more carries in his last 2 seasons (675) than Charles does in his career. He's gonna burnout in the next few year. No way his body can take that.
Old 09-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #18
KCStud
Ring of Famer

AmeriStanzi!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Major props to Pioli for signing Charles this summer to a 5 year, $32.5 million and $13 million guaranteed contract
Old 09-01-2011, 03:18 PM   #19
serious hops
Developmental poster

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Kuper

Quote:
Originally Posted by maher_tyler View Post
Yea, I don't think he's exactly washed up just yet. While you can't ever be surprised when a RB gets injured-- let alone a slightly built one like CJ-- I think he's probably got some very productive years left. Enough to justify that guaranteed money? Probably not, but they're obviously hoping he can at the very least give them enough good years that the cap hit won't be overwhelming if they do have to cut him before the end of it.

Dicey risk on their part, but I'm not sure their management's other choices were more appealing. It was time for some changes there, but they fired the coach they've had since leather helmet days, lost their stud D-line coach, parted ways with their starting QB and former #3 overall pick, lost some good veteran LBs, etc etc. They pretty much had to get CJ on the field if they wanted to maintain any semblance of attempting to compete this year. So they overpaid the guy, knowing they'll have to meet a high salary floor in a year or two anyway. And Locker didn't break the bank-- gotta pay someone eventually, may as well pay the only consistent threat you have on offense.

I do agree with the sentiment that they'll probably regret it at some point when he breaks down and they still owe him way more than they'd like, but they're most likely just crossing their fingers that he has enough left to give them time to get Locker established. IF their FO knows what they're doing, they'll add another solid back soon (if they don't think ringer is that guy already) who can handle some of the chain-moving duties. Maximize Johnson's role in the passing game and try to be a bit more judicious with his carries, especially the between-the-tackles stuff.

I'm not saying they have to baby the guy-- you paid him, you want the ball in his hands a lot-- but he doesn't necessarily have to run the ball 20+ times every game to make a big impact. Last year he carried 316 times, while all their other backs combined for less than 60. And CJ was their leading receiver as well. There's definitely a good chance of him getting hurt and leaving them looking stupid if they intend to keep working him at that pace, no doubt. The fact that he hasn't had any camp, practice, pre-season or anything is another concern. They're truly stupid if they throw him out right away and don't manage his workload pretty carefully at first. You hope he's kept in shape, but he hasn't had any game action in a long time. IMO, Munchak's a friggin' idiot if he gives CJ 20+ carries and 3-5 catches the first week.

But, if managed properly, I'd say they probably made the best(ish) of a bad situation. If they start Hasselbeck and Ringer week one, basically nobody wins except Bud Adams' bank account. The other players wouldn't be happy, the coaches wouldn't be happy, and the league and the team's fans damn sure wouldn't be happy.

Realistically, I almost think you should just go ahead and pay that type of really good RB while he's young rather than dragging it out and letting the numbers for the position go up every year. You have better odds of getting good return on all your money, you earn a little goodwill pretty much all around, avoid the yearly distraction and (assuming he's a solid worker) get the guy in early and working every year instead. You have the option to play hardball, it's all set up at the RB position-- make them play out their rookie deal and get their best years for cheap, then franchise them a couple seasons if they're still worth it. You can squeeze out all their good years without ever giving them a big long-term deal, especially now that rookie deals are more manageable.

But if you aren't prepared to dig in your heels to the bitter end, wouldn't it ultimately be better to just bite the bullet and pay them early?

Last edited by serious hops; 09-01-2011 at 03:20 PM..
serious hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:36 PM   #20
Mountain Bronco
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I think you measure running backs by their peak productivity (over a 3-5 year stretch).
Bingo. I would rather have Bo Jackson for 4 years or TD for 4 years than Fred Taylor for 12. 1 pro bowl, no superbowls, no MVP's (never even in the discussion really).

Chris Johnson already has a better shot at the HOF IMO than Fred Taylor, because he accomplished something great, not just something good.
Mountain Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:42 PM   #21
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Stupid story, but what the hell so here it goes...

I sat next to CJ on a Southewest Airlines flight from Nashville to Orlando a couple months after he got drafted by the Titans. Therefore, he was tough to recognize in regular clothes. I knew he was an athlete due to his size/build. Anyway, I was scared to say anything to him on the flight because he has a "tick" due to tourret's. Every 20-30 seconds, he'd shake his head and his dreads would fly around. I thought maybe he was coming down from a drug high or something.

It was only when I was watching a Titans game and saw him on the sidelines doing the same "head shake" that I put 2 and 2 together.
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #22
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
I don't think you should knock the ones that play longer and are productive while doing it.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 03:58 PM   #23
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Peterson is being a class act about it, didn't even worry about his contract, and this year he will play balls to the wall.

I love Adrian Peterson. He's quickly becoming one of my favorite PLAYERS ever. Not just RB.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:18 PM   #24
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbfan21 View Post
Stupid story, but what the hell so here it goes...

I sat next to CJ on a Southewest Airlines flight from Nashville to Orlando a couple months after he got drafted by the Titans. Therefore, he was tough to recognize in regular clothes. I knew he was an athlete due to his size/build. Anyway, I was scared to say anything to him on the flight because he has a "tick" due to tourret's. Every 20-30 seconds, he'd shake his head and his dreads would fly around. I thought maybe he was coming down from a drug high or something.

It was only when I was watching a Titans game and saw him on the sidelines doing the same "head shake" that I put 2 and 2 together.
Hah, that's actually a cool story bro I totally didn't know he had tourettes.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #25
Lestat
Oreo Lucian Rockefeller

Say what again! I dare you!

Adrian Peterson is gonna bend the vikings over and rape them so much it's going to be criminal. He has to be grinning like a Cheshire cat after seeing those numbers.
There is no way on earth Minny will ever be able to say "that's too much." after the Joe Thomas, Larry Fitzgerald and now Chris Johnson deals.
Lestat is offline   Reply With Quote