The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2011, 10:19 AM   #1
montrose
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 6,077

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default Dallas cuts Pro Bowl Center and CU Alum Andre Gurode

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/2689/andre-gurode

Instant upgrade over JD Walton?
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #2
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,533

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

can he play DT?
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:21 AM   #3
Br0nc0Buster
2013 AFC Champs
 
Br0nc0Buster's Avatar
 
Oh........yea

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Kansas
Posts: 5,964
Default

Hmmm, something seems off here
He would certainly be an upgrade over Walton, but why would Dallas cut a pro bowl caliber center?
Br0nc0Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #4
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,533

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
Hmmm, something seems off here
He would certainly be an upgrade over Walton, but why would Dallas cut a pro bowl caliber center?
They drafted a center in round 1, i believe. still, why not keep him as a backup?
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #5
Mogulseeker
Formerly mightysmurf
 
Mogulseeker's Avatar
 
Eat greedy

Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Boulder... Vail when it snoooows
Posts: 16,875

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Lamin Barrow
Default

I like him... bring him in.
Mogulseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:22 AM   #6
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!
 
theAPAOps5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 31,562

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default

Wow, that is a drastic fall from starter to cut. I knew Andre from going to school up there and have followed him. He was always a solid starter but had fallen off, especially towards the end of last year.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #7
ward63
Go Broncos!
 
ward63's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 2,221

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert
Default

Even if he's not better than Walton, he's DEFINITELY better than Hoch or anybody else we could put at center.
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:23 AM   #8
theAPAOps5
A new beginning!
 
theAPAOps5's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Seattle
Posts: 31,562

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Watermock - RIP
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
They drafted a center in round 1, i believe. still, why not keep him as a backup?
I think the center got hurt in preseason too. I think they cut him to give him a chance to land on another team before the mass cuts after the last week of preseason.
theAPAOps5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #9
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,533

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
I think the center got hurt in preseason too. I think they cut him to give him a chance to land on another team before the mass cuts after the last week of preseason.
he prolly has a pretty large cap hit too, i'm guessing.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #10
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,533

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

isn't this the guy whose face haynesworth stomped on?
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #11
illbroncsfn
Ring of Famer
 
illbroncsfn's Avatar
 
adopt a bronco- Barrel Man's Barrel

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Land o' Lincoln
Posts: 4,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by theAPAOps5 View Post
Wow, that is a drastic fall from starter to cut. I knew Andre from going to school up there and have followed him. He was always a solid starter but had fallen off, especially towards the end of last year.
There was a big drop off in his level of play last year....

Possible cheap depth/replacement level player signing at worst?
illbroncsfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #12
montrose
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 6,077

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VP John Elway
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Br0nc0Buster View Post
Hmmm, something seems off here
He would certainly be an upgrade over Walton, but why would Dallas cut a pro bowl caliber center?
They're trying to go to a smaller OL - it's why they cut Leonard Davis and Marc Columbo too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
They drafted a center in round 1, i believe. still, why not keep him as a backup?
Money, he wouldn't be brought in as a backup here either, IMO. He'll command starting C money - I could see KC taking a run at him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
isn't this the guy whose face haynesworth stomped on?
Yes
montrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #13
jhns
Ring of Famer
 
but you still can't C me!

Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 12,362

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default

He isn't good. They are starting a couple rookies and are having problems on their line. That should say everything you need to know about the guys that get cut.

Last edited by jhns; 08-29-2011 at 10:31 AM..
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:30 AM   #14
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,872

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

7 MIL plus cap, 6 mil plus base salary

And he really sucks. really, really.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/ne...6843D48459257A

Last edited by bendog; 08-29-2011 at 10:32 AM..
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #15
broncogary
Horse Player and Dimwit
 
broncogary's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 5,888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Assassin27 View Post
They drafted a center in round 1, i believe. still, why not keep him as a backup?
* COWBOYS PICKS

1st Round, 9th Pick (9th Overall)
OT Tyron Smith, USC
Bio | Highlights | Call
2nd Round, 8th Pick (40th Overall)
LB Bruce Carter, North Carolina
Bio | Highlights | Call
3rd Round, 7th Pick (71st Overall)
RB DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma
Bio | Highlights | Call
4th Round, 13th Pick (110th Overall)
OL David Arkin, Missouri St.
Bio | Highlights | Call
5th Round, 12th Pick (143rd Overall)
DB Josh Thomas, Buffalo
Bio | Call
6th Round, 11th Pick (176th Overall)
WR Dwayne Harris, E. Carolina
Bio | Call
7th Round, 17th Pick (220th Overall)
FB Shaun Chapas, Georgia
Bio | Highlights | Call
7th Round, 49th Pick (252nd Overall)
OL Bill Nagy, Wisconsin
Bio | Highlights | Call

The 4th and 7th rounders could be centers, but the 1st is definitely an OT.
broncogary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #16
Carmelo15
Chauncey!
 
Carmelo15's Avatar
 
Jeyton Mannway

Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 955

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Omar Bolden
Default

This was a salary move. The Cowboys had a very high payroll and would have cut him alongside veterans Roy Williams & Marion Barber. However Gurode was injured so that move wasn't possible. Cowboys tried him to take a paycut before releasing him. He makes $5.5M this year. That's a lot of money for a center. Thst being said theres no question he'd be an upgrade to JD Walton. This guy can play all 3 interior positions as well. I say we should bring him in
Carmelo15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #17
pricejj
jungle
 
pricejj's Avatar
 
United In Orange

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Louisville, CO
Posts: 9,807
Default

If Xanders was smart, he would bring in Andre Gurode immediately. Andre is a quality character team guy, 5 time pro-bowler, who has a lot left in the tank. This team is a center, and a quality DT away from the playoffs. Had a 30 minute conversation with Andre when he was at CU, I have always been a big fan.

Bring him in.

Get it done EFX.
pricejj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:39 AM   #18
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,872

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-foot...ta_phil00.html

This sucks. This is the kind of guy the broncos used to uncover. 3 year starter at three different positions. Father's a former Mr Something weightlifter and the kid LIKEs moving heavy things in the weightroom. Jerry Jones is a jerk, but he's willing to pay a guy like Houck to coach the oline.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #19
Smiling Assassin27
Helmet Tester
 
Smiling Assassin27's Avatar
 
Hurry Hurry

Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 12,533

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncogary View Post
* COWBOYS PICKS

1st Round, 9th Pick (9th Overall)
OT Tyron Smith, USC
Bio | Highlights | Call
2nd Round, 8th Pick (40th Overall)
LB Bruce Carter, North Carolina
Bio | Highlights | Call
3rd Round, 7th Pick (71st Overall)
RB DeMarco Murray, Oklahoma
Bio | Highlights | Call
4th Round, 13th Pick (110th Overall)
OL David Arkin, Missouri St.
Bio | Highlights | Call
5th Round, 12th Pick (143rd Overall)
DB Josh Thomas, Buffalo
Bio | Call
6th Round, 11th Pick (176th Overall)
WR Dwayne Harris, E. Carolina
Bio | Call
7th Round, 17th Pick (220th Overall)
FB Shaun Chapas, Georgia
Bio | Highlights | Call
7th Round, 49th Pick (252nd Overall)
OL Bill Nagy, Wisconsin
Bio | Highlights | Call

The 4th and 7th rounders could be centers, but the 1st is definitely an OT.
thanks for the info.
Smiling Assassin27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #20
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,872

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

This sucks. This is the kind of guy the broncos used to uncover. 3 year starter at three different positions. Father's a former Mr Something weightlifter and the kid LIKEs moving heavy things in the weightroom. Jerry Jones is a jerk, but he's willing to pay a guy like Houck to coach the oline.

http://www.umterps.com/sports/m-foot...ta_phil00.html
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:51 AM   #21
Ziggy
Pro Bowler
 
Ziggy's Avatar
 
Noob

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 740
Default

The Broncos can have him if they want. Carolina isn't going to claim him at that salary after paying Ryan Khalil. Denver is next up on the waiver wire. If he clears waivers, he'll probably have at least 10 teams bidding for his services. He's not only be an upgrade over JD Walton, he's be an upgrade at LG also.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:56 AM   #22
BroncosSR
Perennial Pro-bowler
 

Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 909
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy View Post
The Broncos can have him if they want. Carolina isn't going to claim him at that salary after paying Ryan Khalil. Denver is next up on the waiver wire. If he clears waivers, he'll probably have at least 10 teams bidding for his services. He's not only be an upgrade over JD Walton, he's be an upgrade at LG also.
I believe he was cut by Dallas. He's free to sign with anybody and the waiver wire doesn't apply.
BroncosSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #23
CEH
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,256
Default

Don't think he passes through waivers .
I think Denver passes unless they want to replace JD Walton.

I "assume" in otherwords I'm "guessing" put it another way this is my "theory" it hasn't been "validated" that Denver has not given up on JD and will bring in a seasoned Vet to teach JD not replace him
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:00 AM   #24
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!
 
bronco militia's Avatar
 
THE GREATEST

Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: colorado springs, co
Posts: 25,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEH View Post
Don't think he passes through waivers .
I think Denver passes unless they want to replace JD Walton.

I "assume" in otherwords I'm "guessing" put it another way this is my "theory" it hasn't been "validated" that Denver has not given up on JD and will bring in a seasoned Vet to teach JD not replace him
you think someone will fork over $5-6 million to sign him?
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #25
CEH
Ring of Famer
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 4,256
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
you think someone will fork over $5-6 million to sign him?
No but I think he will have several suitors for whom he will start. Just not sure Denver will be one of them. If Denver wants to move on from JD I think Andre would be a good pickup
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:20 AM.


Denver Broncos