The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2011, 04:54 PM   #1
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default An attempt to reintroduce sanity to the quarterback debate. (TEBOW! ORTON!)

During Tebow's final season at Florida, people were already starting to analyze his game and predict how he would fare as a pro. This of course amped up drastically in the lead up to the draft. People's opinions varied wildly. You heard everything from Tebow projecting best as an H-Back to him being "concrete cyanide" and a player who would revolutionize the position. What everyone seemed to agree on, though, was the fact that he would take time. His mechanics were faulty and inconsistent, the number of reads he made in Meyer's system were low, and he had very limited experience taking snaps from under center. He was, unquestionably, a project. However, he also had intangibles that people fell in love with. He was hard-working, extremely competitive, a good leader, and he espoused a belief system that resonated with the majority of Americans. Many believed that these intangible qualities would allow him to develop and refine the skill set needed to make the most of his prodigious physical talent.

2010 was a horrific season for the Broncos. Some combination of a terrible record, a coaching change, an injury to Kyle Orton, and pressure from management/ownership led the Broncos to start Tim Tebow for the last three games of 2010. What he showed was a welcome spark for Broncos fans wearied by the long, lost season: he was exciting. He kept plays alive with his feet. He did the unexpected. He had a youthful exuberance and will to win that won over a large portion of the fan base. Many of the initial reactions were reasonable: "This team isn't good enough to win anything regardless of who's at quarterback, so if we're going to be losing, I'd rather see the young kid who can make games exciting again." The problem is that maximizing a fan base's excitement and maximizing a team's chance to win are not the same thing. Tebow showed a lot of promise in his three game stretch, but he also showed why he isn't ready. His mechanics were inconsistent: he still sometimes holds the ball low, and he still sometimes has a slow release. Even casual observers noted that he fails to go through his progressions. Are any of these limitations a reason to think that he can't ever be a successful NFL quarterback? No. Are any of these reasons to think that he is not ready to be a successful NFL quarterback this season? Yes.

Somewhere along the way to Tebow completing 50% of his passes and leading a comeback against the worst-ranked passing defense in the NFL, some fans decided that he was ready to take the reins of this team. I get it. He's fun to watch. He's easy to root for. The offense showed flashes of brilliance with Tebow under (well, behind) center. But those limitations are still there. He's still a project. Nothing about an offseason where he was completely unable to communicate with the team's coaches changed that.

He does things that fans like. He's elusive. He's able to scramble and keep plays alive. He can move the ball with his legs. To many fans, these are the qualifications necessary of an NFL quarterback. These are all things that he's better at than Orton. The "gamer" tag. He's a "winner". He won't "go fetal" when threatened by a pass rush. But the coaching staff doesn't think he's qualified to be the starting quarterback. He can't go through his progressions, he's inadequate in his ability to read defenses and figure out which receiver will be open, and he can't consistently deliver an accurate ball due to inconsistent mechanics. You can argue with me about this. I don't know the plays called; I'm not a professional evaluator of football personell. But this isn't just coming from me. This is coming from professional analysts, media types at training camp like Andrew Mason and Cecil Lammey, and through their placement of Tebow on the depth chart, this is coming from the Broncos' coaching staff.

Tebow's 2010 performance led some people to believe that he was ready to start. Once that analysis was made, any decision not to start him immediately would have to be the result of an incompetent coaching staff, or (for MacGruder) a conspiracy to persecute an individual player. How could they not see what you saw? Did they not watch the games (and come to the same conclusion you did) ? But the truth is, the front office did watch the games. And a whole lot more besides. They were able to talk to him. They could see his performance in meetings. They could see his performance in practice. Hell, the fact that they could see coach's tape of the games is a damn site more than most of the fans calling for Tebow to start could do. And after gathering all of this information, they decided that Kyle Orton was more qualified to be the starting quarterback for this team. Does that mean they hate Tebow and are conspiring to persecute this godly revelation to the game of football? Does this mean that they were tricked by Orton's "fool's gold" in-practice command of the offense and his own throwing mechanics? Does this mean that they've given up hope for Tebow and are actively trying to trade him or cut him? No. It means none of those things. What it means is that, though we all seem to have forgotten it over the last 10 months, Tebow was and is a project.

When Elway says that Tebow is in the team's plans for the future, this isn't some backhanded attack at Tebow or hidden indication that they're going to cut him. It's simply an attempt to reintroduce some sanity to the quarterback debate. No, the team has not abandoned Tebow. No, they are not persecuting his holiness. But no, they do not think he is the best option to start for this team in 2011. To quote Denny Green, he is who we thought he was, though we seem to have forgotten it. He's a young and very talented quarterback who needs some patience and time to develop.

Go Broncos.

TL,DR: There is a middle ground. No one has given up on Tebow, but he's also not going to be handed the starting job. Kid still needs time to develop.

Last edited by chickennob2; 08-23-2011 at 06:36 PM..
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2011, 05:05 PM   #2
ghwk
Ring of Famer

Survivor survivor!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton's C3-C5

Blasphemy!
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
vonqkilla

Great, sane, post.

Here is the problem, Elway thought or at the least set the expectation Tebow was ready as well. "We are going to go with Tim" 2 days before the draft. Then Orton on the block. 3 days later competition over and execs are saying he's behind a rookie FA.

Surreal stuff.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:38 PM   #4
chickennob2
Memphian in Boston

Glad to be back

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonqkilla View Post
Great, sane, post.

Here is the problem, Elway thought or at the least set the expectation Tebow was ready as well. "We are going to go with Tim" 2 days before the draft. Then Orton on the block. 3 days later competition over and execs are saying he's behind a rookie FA.

Surreal stuff.
Well, I think it's pretty clear that the coaching staff and front office reevaluated their stance as they were able to spend time with the whole quarterback group. (Something that none of us have had the opportunity to do). Then they did exactly what you want a decision maker to do: when they acquired more information, they were able to reassess the situation and decide that their initial judgment was incorrect.
chickennob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #5
srphoenix
77 rushing touchdowns

The next TD

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

stop using logic...
srphoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:43 PM   #6
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I neither agree with this post nor the FO treatment and handling of it and it's own Bronco fans.

That being said, I think I'm just going to try and completely ignore it and focus on the 21 other positions of Denver Broncos offensive and defensive players.
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
Jay3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickennob2 View Post
TL,DR: There is a middle ground. No one has given up on Tebow, but he's also not going to be handed the starting job. Kid still needs time to develop.
I think you're a little behind the front. It's been obvious for a while that he wouldn't be starting, and that his best bet was to develop more this year and see what happens.

Things have moved quickly. It's unraveling a little bit for him in Denver.
Old 08-23-2011, 06:57 PM   #9
Jay3

Quote:
During Tebow's final season at Florida, people were already starting to analyze his game and predict how he would fare as a pro.
And just a minor quibble, but a relevant one . . . . during Tebow's SOPHOMORE year, Kiper declared that he would never be an NFL quarterback. There were numerous reports analyzing his NFL prospects negatively as a sophomore, before even giving him a chance to play out his college career.

The relevance is confirmation bias. People tend to look at Tebow and rush to one of two extreme polar positions, and then dig in.

I honestly don't know why.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #10
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
And just a minor quibble, but a relevant one . . . . during Tebow's SOPHOMORE year, Kiper declared that he would never be an NFL quarterback. There were numerous reports analyzing his NFL prospects negatively as a sophomore, before even giving him a chance to play out his college career.

The relevance is confirmation bias. People tend to look at Tebow and rush to one of two extreme polar positions, and then dig in.
It's only confirmation bias if it somehow gets in the way of a fair assesment of his abilities as a pro QB. The fact that the Broncos coaching staff, who doesn't have a dog in that hunt, have him running with the third team certainly suggests that Kiper's assessment wasn't completely wrong.
enjolras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:22 PM   #11
garandman
Seasoned Veteran

Your in my sights!

Great post!

I have a question for everyone... does Tebow still show up as 2nd team on the depth chart? whose to say he is running only with the 3s now... I wont be a bit surprised if he comes in after Orton next week... The media has made this so much worse
garandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:32 PM   #12
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I think Quinn given the extra reps in the second game was just to measure how Quinn is playing. THey saw a lot out of Tebow in game 1 and while there were things to be concerned about, he played well, for the most part made the right reads and marched the team down the field once for a field goal.

Brady got mop up duty against 3rd stringers and its possible that they just wanted to gauge how Brady would do against the second tier guys like Tebow.

And to his credit I think Quinn played better than Tebow did against 2nd stringers. That being said it was Buffalo's second string guys vs Dallas' second string guys but Quinn made good reads, looked comfortable in the pocket and did a good job leading the team (as did Tebow in that regard).

At the end of the day, I think the FO has a tough decision on #2. I still think even at the 3rd string Tebow will see the field more than Quinn because he will come in on special packages and Quinn wont but right now I'd give a slight edge to Quinn.

Either way Orton is better than both and while that doesn't make me super duper excited it does mean that I get to read Rev cry the rest of hte season
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 07:33 PM   #13
WABronco
WE SUCK AGAIN

All dat force

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
This gif applies to nearly the entire forum. Good lord...the retardation.
WABronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:21 PM   #14
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

Good post.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 08:23 PM   #15
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
I think Quinn given the extra reps in the second game was just to measure how Quinn is playing. THey saw a lot out of Tebow in game 1 and while there were things to be concerned about, he played well, for the most part made the right reads and marched the team down the field once for a field goal.

Brady got mop up duty against 3rd stringers and its possible that they just wanted to gauge how Brady would do against the second tier guys like Tebow.

And to his credit I think Quinn played better than Tebow did against 2nd stringers. That being said it was Buffalo's second string guys vs Dallas' second string guys but Quinn made good reads, looked comfortable in the pocket and did a good job leading the team (as did Tebow in that regard).

At the end of the day, I think the FO has a tough decision on #2. I still think even at the 3rd string Tebow will see the field more than Quinn because he will come in on special packages and Quinn wont but right now I'd give a slight edge to Quinn.

Either way Orton is better than both and while that doesn't make me super duper excited it does mean that I get to read Rev cry the rest of hte season
I think once they decided Orton was the answer this year, they started leaking these stories so as to not F with Orton's head as he hears cries for Tebow all year. If Orton has a bad game, the cries for Quinn will be much quieter than the cries for Tebow. This is their way of salvaging the relationship between the team, the fans, and Tebow. They just decided the best thing would be to put some cold water on Tebowmania.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2011, 10:22 PM   #16
Broncobiv
Tee many martoonis

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Was about to skip to the replies until this sentence caught my eye. Genius, sir!
Broncobiv is offline   Reply With Quote