The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2011, 03:44 AM   #1
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None
Default Anyone excited about Champ in this D?

Anyone else really liking how Allen has been moving Champ around and really trying to put him in a position to make plays? Watched the first half again last night and when we go into the nickel Champ is playing the slot pretty much exclusively.

I love it because it's really going to make it tougher for teams to pick up 3rd downs against us when we have Champ playing on the slot receiver.

I used to get so frustrated seeing him line up at LCB every single play, no matter who they trotted out there against him. I remember one time we played the Chiefs and every single play they had Jeff ****ing Webb line up wide right and take Champ away with him while they just threw pass after pass to their good players.

Lining him up in the slot is going to make him much more effective IMO. Teams will be forced to throw the ball outside more, which is tougher to convert, and having Champ playing in some zones near the center of the field is an exciting thought. In the last 4 years he's had 10 picks, with his best return in a year being three. I'd bet quite a lot that he'll surpass that this year, and I think we'll see him go on some blitzes too for good measure.

Obviously there'll be drawbacks. We'll be weaker on the outsides for one, and we'll probably give up a few big plays that Champ would be able to stop. But we'll also be a much tougher defense on 3rd down and will get off the field more.

Real cause for optimism with Allen seeing him do this IMO, could we finally see a bit of innovation from our defense. Apart from a 6 game stretch by Nolan, it's been much too long.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2011, 04:50 AM   #2
mhgaffney
Ring of Famer

More turnovers! Yippeee!
mhgaffney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:10 AM   #3
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I'm lukewarm.

I like some aspects and dislike others.

We've been traditionally weak and giving up the 3rd and forevers on the OUTSIDE (ie: Roc Alexander vs Wayne, D Will vs any Steeler, etc)
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:30 AM   #4
Kaylore
Shall we begin?

The Chiefs Suck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I like it. Our line backers are weak. This will be a positive.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:00 AM   #5
Crushisback
Camp fodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
I remember one time we played the Chiefs and every single play they had Jeff ****ing Webb line up wide right and take Champ away with him while they just threw pass after pass to their good players.
Here's where you lost me.
Crushisback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:10 AM   #6
The Joker
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
I'm lukewarm.

I like some aspects and dislike others.

We've been traditionally weak and giving up the 3rd and forevers on the OUTSIDE (ie: Roc Alexander vs Wayne, D Will vs any Steeler, etc)
Roc Alexander man... jesus that's relapse material if I ever read it.

I'm hoping we'll still man Champ up with the #1 receiver when we go up against a team with a truly elite wideout, but allowing him to play center field more will help a lot particularly with our linebackers not being great in coverage like Kaylore said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushisback View Post
Here's where you lost me.
That guy Gonzalez was pretty decent at TE I recall.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:14 AM   #7
tsiguy96
Ring of Famer

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

cassius vaughn seems to be playing VERY well outside this year.
tsiguy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:14 AM   #8
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schism View Post
Roc Alexander man... jesus that's relapse material if I ever read it.

I'm hoping we'll still man Champ up with the #1 receiver when we go up against a team with a truly elite wideout, but allowing him to play center field more will help a lot particularly with our linebackers not being great in coverage like Kaylore said.
Not at all in man and maybe a LITTLE in zones. More run support though (though I think I'd rather him shedding a WR block and making the play or pressing contain than potentially taking more lead blockers).

So, yeah, lukewarm.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:06 AM   #9
ward63
Go Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert

I know everybody loves him playing in coverage, but I honestly think that he's a great blitzing corner. I would like to see him used like Woodson
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:28 PM   #10
GoBroncos84
Perennial Pro-bowler

Crucify the Ego

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward63 View Post
I know everybody loves him playing in coverage, but I honestly think that he's a great blitzing corner. I would like to see him used like Woodson
This is what I was going to say. I want to see Champ used the way Green Bay is using Woodson. His versatility and playmaking ability is maximized in that defense. Champ is even more talented than Charles, in my opinion, so he could be just as successful. By moving Champ around and taking advantage of matchups, he could have a huge year. I love the strategy of moving him inside on 3rd downs. Von moves to DE in the nickel package, so he and Doom are getting after the QB and that leaves very little time to get a pass off. By putting Champ on the "hot" receiver, that means the ball is going his way more often than not on 3rd downs. Interceptions, incompletions, and sacks will be increased by doing so. Keep him on the outside in the base package, but move him around when the opportunities present themselves. I love it
GoBroncos84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:17 PM   #11
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

why....yes I do
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #12
mkporter
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Yes I am excited, however, I'm usually pretty excited about Champ in any defense.
mkporter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 01:24 PM   #13
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I'm excited about Champ in any defense. He's probably still our best player.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 08:28 PM   #14
Paul Finebaum PWNS!

It's amazing how Champ keeps getting better in certain facets of the game. His football intelligence is in another stratosphere compared to his peers.