The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2011, 05:56 AM   #1
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC
Default Todd Haley's lady parts are irritated again

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...john-harbaugh/

Todd Haley upset with John Harbaugh

Posted by Michael David Smith on August 20, 2011, 7:18 AM EDT

Getty Images
Chiefs coach Todd Haley was upset with Ravens coach John Harbaugh after Friday night’s preseason game, telling Harbaugh that he didn’t appreciate the Ravens running up the score in their 31-13 win.

Baltimore scored two touchdowns in the last two minutes of the game, including one with just five seconds left, and Haley thought Harbaugh should have had his quarterback taking a knee, not leading a touchdown drive.

Harbaugh began his post-game press conference by addressing the issue.

“I want to apologize to the Chiefs if they feel like we were not doing the right thing at the end of the game,” Harbaugh said. “That wasn’t the midset, OK? The mindset was – this is the preseason. If this had been the regular season, we would’ve been on a knee. The idea in that situation is to give those young guys who work hard and who are trying to make a football team – this football team or another football team – to play the whole 60 minutes and give them a chance to show what they can do. Offensive line, running backs, everybody.”

In other words, Harbaugh would rather get his third-string offense some work than spare the feelings of the Chiefs’ players who didn’t want the score run up on them.

“I know that’s debatable, I know there’s a point of view both ways, I understand that,” Harbaugh said. “But I just feel like that was the right thing to do for our players, to give them a chance to play the game out and see what they can do.”

Harbaugh said Haley made it clear to him that he wasn’t happy about it, and Harbaugh made clear that he meant no offense.

“I think he said something like, ‘I don’t know about that,’” Harbaugh said. “I understood, and I just said, ‘Preseason, preseason for the young guys.’ He said ‘OK.’ I’ve got a lot of respect for Todd Haley, and a lot of respect for the Chiefs.”

Haley was involved in a similar incident last season, when he refused to shake the hand of Broncos coach Josh McDaniels after the Broncos blew out the Chiefs. Haley clearly doesn’t like it when opposing teams score a lot of points on his team. Maybe his anger would be better directed at his own defense than at opposing coaches.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2011, 05:59 AM   #2
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

Harbaugh makes a great point. Who cares about the score or winning or losing preseason games? It's glorified practice. These guys in the 4th quarter are out there trying to bust their asses to make the team. It would be unfair to them to take a knee when they're trying to showcase themselves for a potential spot on the team. As a coach, I'd rather have Haley mad at me than a portion of the locker room that thought they were going to get to play and were instead told to take a knee to spare someone's feelings.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:09 AM   #3
Shananahan

Unless the fear of injury is so great that a coach feels he simply cannot afford to have his players on the field beyond the absolute minimum, I will never understand 'playing to win' or playing it safe in other areas in preseason. Hell, outside of a few opportunities with the right field position I don't even understand punting on fourth down.

This is a pretty stupid article, though. Unless there's more to it beyond what Harbaugh said happened, and he apologized to make Haley look bad for complaining or something, this writeup is just trying to create drama over nothing. If Haley really was upset about the final score of a preseason game then he's an oversensitive pusssy who deserves to be made fun of for it. If all he did was give Harbaugh a 'come on, man' then who cares.
Old 08-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #4
crush17
orange & blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thanks Champ!

**** Todd Haley.

I hope we freaking DESTROY the Chiefs this season.
crush17 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:35 AM   #5
Goobzilla
Lights Out B***h!

BA-ZING!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Erickson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rulon Velvet Jones View Post
Maybe his anger would be better directed at his own defense than at opposing coaches.
This. F Haley and his crybaby schtick. Guys are fighting for their careers and he cares about the scoreboard?
Goobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:45 AM   #6
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

That guy is really an idiot. What a jewel
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 06:56 AM   #7
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

He's a Ruh-Todd.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 07:02 AM   #8
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Nobody gets pissed at the Patriots for putting up 30-40 points every preseason game.

I hate being on the losing end, but Harbaugh is right. He is giving his players a chance to be seen by other teams and get a job somewhere. For some of these kids, this preseason will be the end of their lifetime of football - let them have their moment.

Haley is starting to earn his reputation as a whiner. That sets up a culture of complaining all the way down. For all his drawbacks, my favorite Chiefs coach in recent memory has always been Dick Vermeil. I think he had a way of staying positive, even in defeat.

Haley is setting up a breeding ground for discontent, and that is probably what he will reap.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:19 AM   #9
DarkHorse
RPM Racer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Kenny McKinley

This guy seems to whine an awful lot.
DarkHorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #10
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

I think Haley probably understands this as well. If Harbaugh brought out Rice to score in the late part of the game, sure it would be unprofessional... But that wasn't the case.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:30 AM   #11
dbfan21
Floridian living in KS

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

What a doucher!
dbfan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:39 AM   #12
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Harbaugh said Haley made it clear to him that he wasn’t happy about it, and Harbaugh made clear that he meant no offense.

In other words Harbaugh made it clear he didn't give a shyt what Haley thought and could go **** himself
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #13
BowlenBall
Hurry Hurry

2014 -- This one's for Pat.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Paradis

It's nice to have such an unlikeable, whiny b**** coaching the Chiefs -- makes it that much easier to root against them.
BowlenBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #14
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

Come on, the dude has a team that has scored 13 points through 2 games in the preseason, do you expect him to come out and say the truth? "I am an awful coach and it is my fault that this team couldn't win an egg and spoon race against some paraplegic 3rd graders". It is much easier to a pissy little b**** and blame it on someone else for not playing fair.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:08 AM   #15
IA-Broncosfan53
Solid Starter

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

This attitude makes what kind of statement to his players? I have no idea what he is trying to prove with these irrational comments.
IA-Broncosfan53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:11 AM   #16
boltaneer

ATTA BABY!

Wow. What a baby.

Seriously?
boltaneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:20 AM   #17
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

he should be better preparing his team and holding himself and his players accountable...vs worrying about what the oppssing coaches are doing...
Gcver2ver3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:28 AM   #18
Aftermath
Creep

Broncos | Flyers | Tigers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

Man, Todd Haley is a puss.
Aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:44 AM   #19
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Haley is embarrasing himself and chiefs fans...

i went to chiefsplanet and even those yahoos are up in arms over Haley's crybaby tactics...
Old 08-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #20
Pendejo
The off-season.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
"The Greek"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltaneer View Post
Wow. What a baby.

Seriously?
He's just passionate.
Pendejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:53 AM   #21
Perry1977
Shutdown Corner

How stupid can he be? Doesn't he want to see what his guys can do in pressure, red zone situations? Doesn't he want tape of what he's got in this shortened preseason?

Well I guess the Ravens showed him what he's got.
Perry1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 09:59 AM   #22
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
replace hillman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendejo View Post
He's just a passion fruit.
fixed...
Old 08-20-2011, 10:07 AM   #23
Shananahan

The funniest thing about this is that nobody will ever get sympathy with the 'running up the score' complaint. Nobody will ever be understanding or feel bad for the coach and team that got raped on the field. The only thing one can hope to accomplish by complaining about this is making the other coach look like a bad guy. That might work when it's an evil genius like Belichick or something, but it's definitely not going to pan out when you have a history of losing your temper and confronting opposing head coaches following a loss. The preseason element of this just takes it to the nth degree of pathetic.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #24
broncswin
God I love those Broncos

Bring back the hardware

Adopt-a-Bronco:
three amigos

all he is trying to do is "LOSE A MOTHER F-ING GAME BY LESS THAN 20 POINTS"....can't anyone understand that
broncswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #25
Gort
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExpatFan View Post
It's nice to have such an unlikeable, whiny b**** coaching the Chiefs -- makes it that much easier to root against them.
we really are blessed as Broncos fans.

Al Davis, Philip Rivers, and now Todd Haley.

it makes it easy to dislike our conference foes.

now, if only we didn't suck so bad.
Gort is offline   Reply With Quote