The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2011, 06:46 AM   #1
DivineLegion
******ship Sta at the Top

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving
Default For What its worth

Chris Long was on the Dan Patrick show this morning and said the toughest QB that he played against last season was Kyle Orton. He also mentioned Phillip Rivers (Even cited his trash talking), but said that Kyle was definitely the toughest, because he brought the broncos back, and kept fighting. Maybe he was just trying to blow smoke up his new OC's ass, I don't know; I thought it was note worthy.
DivineLegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-2011, 06:53 AM   #2
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

MacGruder will punish you!
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #3
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineLegion View Post
Chris Long was on the Dan Patrick show this morning and said the toughest QB that he played against last season was Kyle Orton. He also mentioned Phillip Rivers (Even cited his trash talking), but said that Kyle was definitely the toughest, because he brought the broncos back, and kept fighting. Maybe he was just trying to blow smoke up his new OC's ass, I don't know; I thought it was note worthy.
I'll go with the Rams-McD connection. I'll take Rivers right now over any of our QBs . Did Denver win that game? Didn't bring them back far enough . Good but not good enough. Middle of the pack QB
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 06:58 AM   #4
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

It's not worth much.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:01 AM   #5
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Sounds a lot tougher than say, someone on the previously winless Detroit Lions when they drubbed the **** out of StL 44-6 under Shaun Hill.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:03 AM   #6
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Gotta admit... 1/9 on 3rd down is PRETTY tough though.

Wait... he didnt mean that kinda tough?
Old 08-19-2011, 07:07 AM   #7
DivineLegion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Sounds a lot tougher than say, someone on the previously winless Detroit Lions when they drubbed the **** out of StL 44-6 under Shaun Hill.
That was a bit of a defensive meltdown with 0 INT's from Bradford and > 100 yrds from Jackson wasn't it?
Old 08-19-2011, 07:13 AM   #8
DivineLegion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

So Rev, now that I got you all riled up on a Friday morning lets talk some football. If this defense regains some of its luster, and we finish in the top 10 in rushing; would you be content with Kyle Orton managing this offense?
Old 08-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #9
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
That was a bit of a defensive meltdown with 0 INT's from Bradford and > 100 yrds from Jackson wasn't it?
Right. And Chris Long plays defense...
Old 08-19-2011, 07:16 AM   #10
DivineLegion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
Right. And Chris Long plays defense...
Just trying to stir the pot, its friday morning, I'm done with school for the day...whats a guy gonna do.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #11
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
So Rev, now that I got you all riled up on a Friday morning lets talk some football. If this defense regains some of its luster, and we finish in the top 10 in rushing; would you be content with Kyle Orton managing this offense?
This is what drives me nuts about the Orton debate. People seem to back him with the hopes he can lead this team to 8 wins. Which would basically only accomplish setting the franchise back another year.

There's no way Orton is going to be here long term, so I absolutely cannot understand why anyone would want another lame duck year from a QB who might be able to "manage" to not completely screw things up if we make miraculous strides in every other area of the game and can carry him to victory.

It's insane to me.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:33 AM   #12
DivineLegion

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nate Irving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
This is what drives me nuts about the Orton debate. People seem to back him with the hopes he can lead this team to 8 wins. Which would basically only accomplish setting the franchise back another year.

There's no way Orton is going to be here long term, so I absolutely cannot understand why anyone would want another lame duck year from a QB who might be able to "manage" to not completely screw things up if we make miraculous strides in every other area of the game and can carry him to victory.

It's insane to me.
I disagree, go check out the article on "its all over fat man" where the author talks about John working with Tebow individually after practice. It was great. Tim's not ready, and Kyle is a pretty good QB. Would you say that Kyle Orton is better than Jake Delhome? Would you say that with a few more key pieces this defense could be top 10? Stephen Davis, and DeShaun Foster better than Marino and McGahee? Fox has won in this league with superior defense, good running, and a mediocre QB so whats to say he can't do it again. Look, I'm not saying he should follow the exact same mold, but it looks like that's the direction that we're taking.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:37 AM   #13
Jay3

Quote:
Would you say that Kyle Orton is better than Jake Delhome?
I think he is Jake Delhomme reincarnated. Very similar in many ways, to the good and bad.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #14
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay3 View Post
I think he is Jake Delhomme reincarnated. Very similar in many ways, to the good and bad.
Delhomme was a much better athlete
Old 08-19-2011, 07:44 AM   #15
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post

It's insane to me.
He doesn't need miraculous strides. All he needs is a competent defense.

In his career, he only has 2 losses when his defense held the opponent under 20 pts. 9 teams did that last year in terms of season averages, with another 5 giving up between 20 and 21 pts on average for the year. So basically half the defenses in the league. So, all we need is a top 15 or so defense and we'll be more than fine with a guy like Orton under center. Is asking for a top 15 defense REALLY asking for a miracle? It certainly shouldn't be.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:49 AM   #16
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

Chris Long will now be drug tested daily for that comment.

I guess he was out when they played Brees and the Saints.

Last edited by WolfpackGuy; 08-19-2011 at 07:52 AM..
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 07:55 AM   #17
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post

In his career, he only has 2 losses when his defense held the opponent under 20 pts. 9 teams did that last year in terms of season averages, with another 5 giving up between 20 and 21 pts on average for the year. So basically half the defenses in the league. So, all we need is a top 15 or so defense and we'll be more than fine with a guy like Orton under center. Is asking for a top 15 defense REALLY asking for a miracle? It certainly shouldn't be.
This is laughable.

He managed 11 wins with one of the historically great defenses. You really think he's gonna get to that level with a merely mediocre defense?

Anyone thinking that Orton is going to lead this team to the playoffs, and beyond, if he gets merely decent defensive play is kidding themselves.

I love that Orton has turned "Fine" into the measuring stick for QBs in Denver. That's inspiring!
Old 08-19-2011, 07:57 AM   #18
CEH
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Like he managed the 10-6 loss to KC?
CEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #19
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

You mean like his first year here? 20.2 pts per game given up by the defense. That was good for 12th in points and 7th in yards. Top 15 defense = 8-8...
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #20
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Tim's not ready, and Kyle is a pretty good QB.
If Tebow really isn't ready, a premise I completely disagree with based on his 3 starts last year, start Quinn. At the very least there's some upside there. But, for the love of god, don't hang your hat on "meh, he's a pretty good QB if other players win the game for him." That's pathetic, and the antithesis of what I think of as Denver football.

Quote:
Would you say that Kyle Orton is better than Jake Delhome?
Dlehomme in his prime was hands down better that Orton.

Quote:
Would you say that with a few more key pieces this defense could be top 10?
Who cares? This has nothing to do, imo, with Orton. He's a dead end, lame duck, QB. This is a weak rhetorical question. Better defense will make any QB better.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:02 AM   #21
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
You mean like his first year here? 20.2 pts per game given up by the defense. That was good for 12ty in points amd 7th in yards. Top 15 defense = 8-8...
Go ahead and ignore the injuries and Chris Simms effect. You never were one for context.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:04 AM   #22
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Go ahead and ignore the injuries and Chris Simms effect. You never were one for context.
8 wins with a top 15 defense. If he needs everything perfect, he isn't cut out for this league. Him getting injured every year isn't a positive in the argument for him.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #23
PRBronco
_never forget_

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Vathquezth

I don't think Orton's not tough, or not a battler, I just think he's nothing more than barely adequate as an nfl quarterback.
PRBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 08:05 AM   #24
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhns View Post
8 wins with a top 15 defense. If he needs everything perfect, he isn't cut out for this league. Him getting injured every year isn't a positive in the argument for him.
Perfect? Perfect would be a top 5 defense, top 5 running game, and great special teams. He's never had that. Sorry.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:06 AM   #25
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Go ahead and ignore that injuries are part of who Orton is. You don't seem to care much for reality.