The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2011, 01:35 PM   #1
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 37,014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default Orton is Playing for the Money, Not the Fans

"Can you handle the truth? Orton is playing for the money, not love of the Broncos or fans. No matter how well Orton performs this season, do you see Denver giving him a new contract for three years and $30 million? I don't think so. So let's be brutally honest: Orton is a mercenary looking for his next NFL job"

http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_18678005
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!
 
brncs_fan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The Coaches Cradle...Eastern Illinois University
Posts: 5,533

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo
Default

Can we file this one under; No ****?
brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #3
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 34,981

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

I don't like Orton, but that's not because he's playing for money rather than fans. That's a rational perspective for him to have. This is simply a business relationship, he puts in his effort in exchange for cash, nothing more and nothing less. While I do have problems with him, its certainly not for his perspective on this issue.
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,888

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

I logged on because I wondered who would link that.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:40 PM   #5
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 37,014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
I don't like Orton, but that's not because he's playing for money rather than fans. That's a rational perspective for him to have. This is simply a business relationship, he puts in his effort in exchange for cash, nothing more and nothing less. While I do have problems with him, its certainly not for his perspective on this issue.
I agree. Its the perspective that anyone should have.

The real issue is over how management has flubbed the situation into what it is today.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #6
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 34,981

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicSocialism4tw View Post
I agree. Its the perspective that anyone should have.

The real issue is over how management has flubbed the situation into what it is today.
Agreed. Management has played it rather poorly. The team has tried to convey the perspective (through their lapdogs in the press...cough, Klis, cough) that the problem was solely between Orton and the Dolphins regarding contracts. Well, if that is the case, they should have "motivated" Kyle to expedite resolution of his contractual issues with the Dolphins. In other words, make his camp miserable. No reps, no interviews, no nothing, except for maybe running laps and engaging in a great deal of other spirited and intense conditioning exercises....alot of them. After all, we wouldn't want him to be in camp for Miami being poorly conditioned. That wouldn't be fair to our trading partner. Instead, we've been bending over backwards to him, giving him precious reps that would have been more valuable for Tebow's development since Orton is an experienced vet and Tebow was robbed of OTA's by the lockout. What we should have done was make it ****ing miserable for him to the furthest extent permitted by the CBA. You get that contract worked out...or else.
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:51 PM   #7
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!
 
brncs_fan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The Coaches Cradle...Eastern Illinois University
Posts: 5,533

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicSocialism4tw View Post
The real issue is over how management has flubbed the situation into what it is today.
The situation where we have an NFL caliber QB that can go out and play for us until we have one of our other QBs step up and show that they are also NFL starting caliber QBs?

Just awful.
brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,888

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brncs_fan View Post
The situation where we have an NFL caliber QB that can go out and play for us until we have one of our other QBs step up and show that they are also NFL starting caliber QBs?

Just awful.
And if Tebow still can't make the plays under center by Dec, they draft a qb. There are probably 3 who'll go in the first.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:56 PM   #9
SoCalBronco
Nixonite
 
SoCalBronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Arcadia, CA
Posts: 34,981

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brncs_fan View Post
The situation where we have an NFL caliber QB that can go out and play for us until we have one of our other QBs step up and show that they are also NFL starting caliber QBs?

Just awful.
Quinn's been practicing quite well (seems like he also played pretty well too against DAL, albeit vs. 3s), so there is still insurance there if Tebow is not sufficiently prepared by opening day.

The guy is on a one year deal. This is our only oppurtunity to get something for him. Plus, if Elway really does not think Tebow can cut it and that he would much prefer Luck, he should welcome the oppurtunity to test out his hypothesis. If that sentiment is simply contrived, then he should still get rid of Orton since its better to get something for him now when we're still not contending yet and the fans have made it clear that giving him a long term deal is a non-starter.
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,888

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Quinn's been practicing quite well (seems like he also played pretty well too against DAL, albeit vs. 3s), so there is still insurance there if Tebow is not sufficiently prepared by opening day.

The guy is on a one year deal. This is our only oppurtunity to get something for him. Plus, if Elway really does not think Tebow can cut it and that he would much prefer Luck, he should welcome the oppurtunity to test out his hypothesis. If that sentiment is simply contrived, then he should still get rid of Orton since its better to get something for him now when we're still not contending yet and the fans have made it clear that giving him a long term deal is a non-starter.
I think the only way they lose enough to suck for luck was to ship Orton out for whatever anyone would give us, and then throw Tebow to the lions. But that would probably destroy Tebow mentally and possibly physically at this pt in his career.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #11
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 37,014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Agreed. Management has played it rather poorly. The team has tried to convey the perspective (through their lapdogs in the press...cough, Klis, cough) that the problem was solely between Orton and the Dolphins regarding contracts. Well, if that is the case, they should have "motivated" Kyle to expedite resolution of his contractual issues with the Dolphins. In other words, make his camp miserable. No reps, no interviews, no nothing, except for maybe running laps and engaging in a great deal of other spirited and intense conditioning exercises....alot of them. After all, we wouldn't want him to be in camp for Miami being poorly conditioned. That wouldn't be fair to our trading partner. Instead, we've been bending over backwards to him, giving him precious reps that would have been more valuable for Tebow's development since Orton is an experienced vet and Tebow was robbed of OTA's by the lockout. What we should have done was make it ****ing miserable for him to the furthest extent permitted by the CBA. You get that contract worked out...or else.
Yeah, they didn't know how deep the water was when they stepped in it.

Now they're wasting a year of development for their QB of the future.

Its unfortunate that Elway is involved in this, knowing how it was as a young player when he was getting yanked around by similar coaching and management.

Aaron Rogers sat because he was playing behind a franchise legend. Tebow's getting sat behind a player who he is just as productive as who will be with another team next season. Odd.

Last edited by epicSocialism4tw; 08-14-2011 at 02:01 PM..
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:04 PM   #12
bombay
Ring of Famer
 
bombay's Avatar
 

Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 4,979
Default

Quinn has looked very good. I'd like to see him against another team's first string D in the next game or two. The Broncos might have a legitimate starter.
bombay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:08 PM   #13
brncs_fan
How about some Tapenade!
 
brncs_fan's Avatar
 

Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: The Coaches Cradle...Eastern Illinois University
Posts: 5,533

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Manti Teo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Quinn's been practicing quite well (seems like he also played pretty well too against DAL, albeit vs. 3s), so there is still insurance there if Tebow is not sufficiently prepared by opening day.

The guy is on a one year deal. This is our only oppurtunity to get something for him. Plus, if Elway really does not think Tebow can cut it and that he would much prefer Luck, he should welcome the oppurtunity to test out his hypothesis. If that sentiment is simply contrived, then he should still get rid of Orton since its better to get something for him now when we're still not contending yet and the fans have made it clear that giving him a long term deal is a non-starter.
I get all of that. Furthermore I agree with it (except I don't think we have a chance in hell at Luck). I was all for trading Orton and trying to get a pick, but a combination of the lockout and other factors have prevented him from being traded. I don't think it was a "flubbing" as much as trading for him didn't make any sense to a lot of teams given that he is probably going to be replaced by Tebow anyway.

A team like Miami can suck this year, get a high draft pick, and still get Orton. Not too shabby for them.
brncs_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:13 PM   #14
Conklin
Outlose, Outcry, Out1st
 
Conklin's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Kansas City, Misery
Posts: 3,087
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicSocialism4tw View Post
Yeah, they didn't know how deep the water was when they stepped in it.

Now they're wasting a year of development for their QB of the future.

Its unfortunate that Elway is involved in this, knowing how it was as a young player when he was getting yanked around by similar coaching and management.

Aaron Rogers sat because he was playing behind a franchise legend. Tebow's getting sat behind a player who he is just as productive as who will be with another team next season. Odd.
a year of practice and situational game play is not a waste...orton gives us our best chance to win, get over it
Conklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #15
bendog
Marginally Continent
 
bendog's Avatar
 
David Bowens, he'd be an upgrade

Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Folsom Prison
Posts: 19,888

Adopt-a-Bronco:
David Bowens
Default

Elway only started when Deberg got hurt, and was so unimpressive that Kubes actually took a start. He did play better as time went on. But he didn't play in a spread offense that left the qb in shotgun all the time.
bendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:17 PM   #16
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 37,014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conklin View Post
a year of practice and situational game play is not a waste...orton gives us our best chance to win, get over it
Orton gives us the best chance to win?

That's funny! I dig your sarcasm.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:21 PM   #17
cabronco
Broncos & LA Kings fan
 
PFM / Kopitar

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: So.Cal.
Posts: 5,935

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Superbowl Bound
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bombay View Post
Quinn has looked very good. I'd like to see him against another team's first string D in the next game or two. The Broncos might have a legitimate starter.
Ya, I'm anxious to see how the next few p.s. games play out. I'd like to see BQ and TT get a shot w/ the 1st string. But BQ looked pretty good vs Dallas. I'd like to see him work in the red zone, and if he's able to throw a fade, or any touch pass.
cabronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:30 PM   #18
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer
 
Jesterhole's Avatar
 
Ridin' the McFailboat...

Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,481
Default

Not that I'm a big Orton fan, but how is that different from most players? How many of you think your paycheck is more important than the opinion the public has of the company you work for?
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:35 PM   #19
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 37,014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
Not that I'm a big Orton fan, but how is that different from most players? How many of you think your paycheck is more important than the opinion the public has of the company you work for?
Anyone belonging to a union.

But seriously...Orton is not the future here.

This season is a waste. Fans' dollars will reflect that.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #20
razorwire77
Tapenade Swagga
 
razorwire77's Avatar
 
"Not too shabby."

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 4,409

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Karlos Dansby
Default

I also hear that Kyle Orton goes to local animal shelters and kicks puppies in the dick.

How can anyone blame him for taking this approach? Our front office **** the bed with situation. They told Timmy he was going to be the man and to organize team workouts during the lockout. Then they failed to move Orton and decided keep him as a starter after they thought Tebow was too raw to start. Now, if they move him they risk undermining the entire locker room.
razorwire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:40 PM   #21
TonyR
Franchise Poster
 
TonyR's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Mid-Atlantic
Posts: 18,342
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by epicSocialism4tw View Post
Orton gives us the best chance to win?
So assuming Fox/Elway go with Orton opening day... do you think they don't want to start the guy who gives them the best chance to win or do you think they do but you know better than them? Serious question.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:41 PM   #22
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,199

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

dayum the bastard ......for elway loved denver and the fans so much he played for free ...........
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #23
epicSocialism4tw
Tebowing the long haul
 
all the way to the title

Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: TX, USA
Posts: 37,014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Champ Bailey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
So assuming Fox/Elway go with Orton opening day... do you think they don't want to start the guy who gives them the best chance to win or do you think they do but you know better than them? Serious question.
They don't have the cajones to sit the guy who is friends with the OL and the WR's and to roll with uncertainty.

But Tebow's move to the first team is an inevitability. Fox will learn by week 8 or 9 that Orton is a red zone louse and can't make plays consistently unless the Broncos are pretty far behind. Then he'll make the change or he'll drive the thing further into the dirt.
epicSocialism4tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #24
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter
 
Beantown Bronco's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Mass
Posts: 19,970

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater
Default

Unless you can find me a player that plays in the NFL for free, then you can delete "Orton" and insert any other players name in the title of this thread.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:50 PM   #25
Spider
Mr Diplomacy
 
Spider's Avatar
 
I survived Tebow Mania at the Mane

Join Date: May 2001
Location: Elway was just an arm =MacGruder
Posts: 84,199

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beantown Bronco View Post
Unless you can find me a player that plays in the NFL for free, then you can delete "Orton" and insert any other players name in the title of this thread.
TEBOW err wait he is getting paid also ......nevermind
Spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:05 AM.


Denver Broncos