The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2011, 06:20 AM   #1
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

"I'm gonna burn this mother down"

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody
Default Orton Info (Rumors)

Not sure if it's worth a thread, delete/merge if necessary.... but does anyone have any info on the news below?

More Orton chatter
9:05
AM ET
Kyle Orton | Broncos
TopEmailComments

Will he be traded or not? Here's the latest that we're hearing.

Subscribe to Insider for as low as $2.50/month to access the complete rumor
supermanhr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2011, 06:22 AM   #2
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Is this spam or what the hell is this
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #3
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I effin' KNEW it!
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #4
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

HOT BREAKING NEWS!

The BRONCOS ARE TRYING TO TRADE ORTON!

Check back soon for details. I'll tweet it or twat it or charge you for it later.
Welcome to the "Insider Club," that will be $2.50 / month.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Is this insider? Do you have a link?
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:25 AM   #6
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

From Insider:

More Orton chatter
9:05
AM ET
Kyle Orton | Broncos | Interested: Dolphins?
TopEmailComments

UPDATE: With Tim Tebow being outshined by Kyle Orton at Denver Broncos training camp on Thursday (as detailed below), the argument could easily be made for the Broncos to hang on to the Purdue grad for another season. And if the Miami Dolphins don't improve their offer, that could be just what happens.

Jeff Darlington of the Miami Herald provided a snapshot of where the negotiations stand as of Friday morning. The Dolphins are currently offering an unknown package of draft picks, and the Broncos are not satisfied with the ransom.

Darlington adds, though, that while a deal seemed closer earlier in the week, the negotiations aren't dead yet.

As of now, however, Miami will begin camp with Chad Henne, Pat Devlin and Tom Brandstater as their three options at the most important position in pro sports.

- Tim Kavanagh

---

UPDATE: "I expect to be here. I expect to be the starter here and go out there and play the best football of my career."

The "I" in that paragraph is Kyle Orton, and the "here" is with the Denver Broncos, not the Miami Dolphins. It was long believed Orton would be traded to the Dolphins by now, but the Broncos are reportedly unhappy with Miami's offer. And after the team's first official practice of the season, Denver's asking price may have gone up even higher.

Mike Klis of the Denver Post that Orton badly outplayed Tim Tebow in practice.

"Orton was his usual polished self, always knowing which of the receivers was open, and hitting them with precision," Klis writes. "The Orton-Brandon Lloyd connections down the field picked up where they left off in 2010.

"Tebow got just as many reps, but was a tick slower in reading how the play developed and his passes weren't nearly as precise.

In fact, Klis says that based on one practice, Tebow might be below Brady Quinn on the depth chart.

"True, one workout does not a competition make," Klis writes. "And it's probably not fair to compare Orton, who has been a four-season starter in the NFL, to Tebow, who has started just three games.

"It's just that if Orton isn't traded to the Miami Dolphins or any other team in coming weeks, it would be shocking if he's not the Broncos' starting quarterback in their regular-season opener Sept. 12."

UPDATE: >ESPN's John Clayton is reporting that the holdup in the Kyle Orton trade is easy to explain: The Denver Broncos are not satisfied with the Miami Dolphins' offer. If the Dolphins don't bring more to the table, Clayton says Denver will be not hesitate to call off the deal and hang on to Orton.

---

UPDATE: A new day is here, and Kyle Orton is still a Denver Bronco. In fact, according to Gregg Rosenthal of ProFootballTalk.com, the Denver Post is reporting that Orton will be practicing with the first team today.

Chad Reuter of CBSSports.com says that announcement is all about leverage. "Letting teams know they'll keep him if the right deal doesn't come along," he writes.

---

UPDATE: Sources tell Rumor Central that Kyle Orton will likely be traded to the Miami Dolphins by the end of the day.

---

UPDATE: Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post names Phillp Merling and Randy Starks as potential bargaining chips in a trade.

---

UPDATE: Ben Volin of the Palm Beach Post suggests that if Kyle Orton is traded to the Miami Dolphins, the Denver Broncos may get a player or two in return instead of a draft pick. Volin points out that Denver needs defensive linemen, and the Dolphins are stacked at that position.

One monkeywrench in that plan: The Dolphins run a 3-4, and the Broncos are looking to transition to a 4-3.

---

UPDATE: Omar Kelly of the Orlando Sun-Sentinel reports that the Miami Dolphins are talking to Kyle Orton about the terms of a contract extension. Orton's contract expires at the end of the year, and both player and team want a long-term deal agreed to before a trade is finished.

---

UPDATE: Albert Breer and Jason La Canfora of NFL Network say the following teams are in the hunt for Kyle Orton: the Miami Dolphins, Arizona Cardinals, Minnesota Vikings, Tennessee Titans.

---

UPDATE: ESPN AFC West blogger Bil Williamson checks in with what it may take to get Kyle Orton away from the Denver Broncos in a trade:

---

Mike Klis of the Denver Post reports that the Denver Broncos are willing to trade quarterback Kyle Orton.

ESPN NFC East blogger Dan Graziano explains that with another quarterback available, the trade value of Kevin Kolb just went down:

- Vince Verhei

Dan Graziano
The market just shifted
"We are minutes away from the opening of the trade season, and everybody expects the Eagles to send Kolb to the Arizona Cardinals. But as we've also discussed many times, the Eagles will (and should) only move Kolb if they're getting very good value for him. The Cardinals, of course, will want to get him as cheaply as possible. And if they can convince the Eagles (whether it's true or not) that Orton is on their radar as another viable option, it will help Arizona's leverage in negotiations."

Bill Williamson
The price for Orton
"If Denver gets a decent offer (perhaps a third-round pick or a conditional second) Orton could be shipped out of Denver shortly and the Tim Tebow era would officially start in Denver. Miami, Arizona, Minnesota and Tennessee are among of the teams that could be in play for Orton."
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:31 AM   #7
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

@ the article calling Kyle Orton "the Purdue grad".
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:34 AM   #8
Jesterhole
Ring of Famer

Ridin' the McFailboat...

I don't understand how holding onto Orton for another year will help the team in any way. We need to see what Tebow can do, and if we keep Kyle, then we'll just stunt his growth.

This team is rebuilding, and it is more important to evaluate our young talent than use a stop-gap to try and squeak out another 2-3 wins.
Jesterhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:37 AM   #9
Kaylore
Because I am better

Taysom Hill for Heisman!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

Thanks Rhyms. That really organizes it and now we see where everything is at.
Kaylore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:39 AM   #10
FADERPROOF
Twitter: FNRoleModel

So the Dolphins have Henne, Devlin, and Brandstater at QB and they dont want to meet the Broncos demands for Orton?
FADERPROOF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:40 AM   #11
BroncosMT
Back in Big Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post
I don't understand how holding onto Orton for another year will help the team in any way. We need to see what Tebow can do, and if we keep Kyle, then we'll just stunt his growth.

This team is rebuilding, and it is more important to evaluate our young talent than use a stop-gap to try and squeak out another 2-3 wins.
This
BroncosMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:43 AM   #12
BroncosMT
Back in Big Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesterhole View Post

Maybe its Elway's passive way of getting a shot at Luck next year
BroncosMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #13
jhns
Ring of Famer

but you still can't C me!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I hope Klis' stupidity helps make the Dolphins meet our Elways demands.
jhns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:06 AM   #14
WolfpackGuy
Call me, "Maybe"

What's the potential compensation should the Broncos hold Orton until not resigning him next offseason?

And can they eat some his current contract just to move him?
WolfpackGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:15 AM   #15
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackGuy View Post
What's the potential compensation should the Broncos hold Orton until not resigning him next offseason?

And can they eat some his current contract just to move him?
How the f does looking good during one TC practice change an entire off season long thought process. If that's the case, screw tebow and orton, let's trade Jeremiah Johnson for Tom brady
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:17 AM   #16
Agamemnon

Please tell me our FO isn't as clueless as this info would make them appear. Tell me it's all a smoke screen to up Orton's value. Lie to me if you have to...
Old 07-29-2011, 07:18 AM   #17
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
How the f does looking good during one TC practice change an entire off season long thought process. If that's the case, screw tebow and orton, let's trade Jeremiah Johnson for Tom brady
Indeed. We know what Orton is. It doesn't matter how he ****ing practices...
Old 07-29-2011, 07:20 AM   #18
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
Thanks Rhyms. That really organizes it and now we see where everything is at.
AGREED. THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE UPDATE
Old 07-29-2011, 07:28 AM   #19
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
Please tell me our FO isn't as clueless as this info would make them appear. Tell me it's all a smoke screen to up Orton's value. Lie to me if you have to...
Just curious where/how the FO looks "clueless" here. They haven't gotten the compensation they're asking for and haven't caved. How is that "clueless", exactly? Because they haven't met your timeline?
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #20
Agamemnon

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
Just curious where/how the FO looks "clueless" here. They haven't gotten the compensation they're asking for and haven't caved. How is that "clueless", exactly? Because they haven't met your timeline?
What's clueless is entertaining the thought of starting Orton again if we can't trade him. We need to get whatever we can for the guy, and if Miami has made the best offer we need to take it. Otherwise we end up paying a guy 8.8 million to a) leave next season with no compensation and b) keep Tebow off the field so we end up wondering what we have once again next year.

We need to clear up cap room. We need to clarify the QB situation (which won't happen until Orton is gone apparently). We need to get whatever value we can out of the guy before he leaves next season. So far the FO seems to have no real understanding of any of these things, and are therefore seemingly clueless.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:49 AM   #21
Irish Stout
Ring of Famer

Run for it Marty!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Woodyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
What's clueless is entertaining the thought of starting Orton again if we can't trade him. We need to get whatever we can for the guy, and if Miami has made the best offer we need to take it. Otherwise we end up paying a guy 8.8 million to a) leave next season with no compensation and b) keep Tebow off the field so we end up wondering what we have once again next year.

We need to clear up cap room. We need to clarify the QB situation (which won't happen until Orton is gone apparently). We need to get whatever value we can out of the guy before he leaves next season. So far the FO seems to have no real understanding of any of these things, and are therefore seemingly clueless.
We don't have as great a need to clear cap room this season as we will next when the dead money from this year's cuts gets applied. Why not suck up the $8 mil this year and have the QB the Broncos think can win now, rather than having $4 mil in dead Orton money next?

The biggest thing is that the FO thinks (or at least says) they can win this year, and Fox probably likes his chances with Orton better than Tebow. Look who he had manning his O in Carolina. They will trade Orton if the value is there, if its just a turd with rainbow sprinkles, then why the hell should they buy it when they believe it gives them less of a shot to win.

If Orton and Tebow are kept, then Tebow still has a shot to beat out Orton, if he doesn't, it means he is not ready this year. Another year to work and develop shouldn't hurt our south paw QB and should make his hunger to play and win greater. I think the FO is walking this fine line perfectly, though it drives us crazy cause we want Tebow.
Irish Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #22
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I think we've all convinced ourselves that Tebow is as good or better than Orton. I think there's also some meat to the theories that Orton's issues last year stemmed from being unable to actually play with the injuries he had. IF Orton is actually better than Tebow and IF the team can actually build in those other areas that held the team back last year, I wouldn't be sad to see Tebow sit another year. There's been some good QBs sit a year and some decent QBs screwed by being rushed in too fast.

This feels very reminiscent of the old days and feels like it could break into a full blown Orton v Tebow along the lines of Cutler v Plummer. It started last year when Orton started tanking and could be bad this year if Orton stays since everyone expected Tebow time.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:57 AM   #23
supermanhr9
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nobody

7-3 with Plummer when we pulled him, then we missed the playoffs if I remember correctly?
Old 07-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #24
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Isaiah Burse

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
I think we've all convinced ourselves that Tebow is as good or better than Orton. I think there's also some meat to the theories that Orton's issues last year stemmed from being unable to actually play with the injuries he had. IF Orton is actually better than Tebow and IF the team can actually build in those other areas that held the team back last year, I wouldn't be sad to see Tebow sit another year. There's been some good QBs sit a year and some decent QBs screwed by being rushed in too fast.
Nope. Not all of us...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:14 AM   #25
Hercules Rockefeller
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
DJ Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanhr9 View Post
7-3 with Plummer when we pulled him, then we missed the playoffs if I remember correctly?
You mean the team that had the #1 scoring defense the first 7 weeks and the worst scoring defense the last 9?

Yeah, Plummer was a huge part of the early record. Not like he was benched because the offense wasn't scoring any points and the defense couldn't cover it up anymore.
Hercules Rockefeller is offline   Reply With Quote