The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2011, 08:44 PM   #1
GoBroncos DownUnder
Perennial Pro-bowler

Adopt-a-Bronco:
AJ Smith!
Default The NFL's new "#3 QB is ACTIVE" rule

Anyone else think this new rule, with the #3 QB now being an active player, will have a HUGE effect on team rosters, in upcoming years?!?
I mean, now every team can afford to keep a running/situational QB, or a multi positional player on their team. Plug the guy in when you need him and go!
GoBroncos DownUnder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2011, 08:50 PM   #2
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBroncos DownUnder View Post
Anyone else think this new rule, with the #3 QB now being an active player, will have a HUGE effect on team rosters, in upcoming years?!?
I mean, now every team can afford to keep a running/situational QB, or a multi positional player on their team. Plug the guy in when you need him and go!
Well, keep in mind, it's not necessarily a "3rd QB is active" rule. They just converted that spot from a situationally dependent spot to an active spot. Does anyone really think they'll take that position and make the guy an active player unless he's a wildcat threat? If not, they'll gamble that if you have to send in your 3rd QB, you've already lost the game and use the spot elsewhere. I don't like it.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
Agamemnon

I expect a lot teams to use that extra slot for positions other than QB.
Old 07-25-2011, 10:52 PM   #4
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Alright! Bradley Van Pelt has a job coming his way!
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:03 AM   #5
ColoradoDarin
Not Too Shabby Poster

Adopt-a-Bronco:
CJ

I think it adds just a small wrinkle.

Those teams that want to run a wildcat can now use the 3rd QB slot for it and not their backup (like the Broncos did with Tebow last year). Teams that don't run a wildcat, don't have to carry 3 QBs (or they can carry 3 and not have to have one active on Sundays) and use that extra roster slot for a special teams player, or a backup punter should the Broncos want to bring in someone to compete with Colquitt.
ColoradoDarin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:24 AM   #6
Jay3

I think it will be used for positions other than QB. It's actually quite difficult to field a team under 45, and the number of times two quarterbacks get knocked out by injury is statistically remote.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:07 AM   #7
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

Opens up a significant role for athletic types. A role player like Brad Smith comes to mind.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:18 AM   #8
Tombstone RJ
Ring of Famer

Old School

Adopt-a-Bronco:
WorrellWilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBroncos DownUnder View Post
Anyone else think this new rule, with the #3 QB now being an active player, will have a HUGE effect on team rosters, in upcoming years?!? I mean, now every team can afford to keep a running/situational QB, or a multi positional player on their team. Plug the guy in when you need him and go!
My understanding is that the active game day roster goes from 42 (I'm I right, it was 42?) to 46 so there are more guys dressing for each game. Do teams have to have a #3 QB on the 46 man roster? I'm not so sure they do...
Tombstone RJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:35 AM   #9
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ View Post
My understanding is that the active game day roster goes from 42 (I'm I right, it was 42?) to 46 so there are more guys dressing for each game. Do teams have to have a #3 QB on the 46 man roster? I'm not so sure they do...
Pretty sure it went from 45 to 46. They just made the #3 QB slot permanently active but it does not have to be a #3 QB. Just another slot.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #10
ward63
Go Broncos!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Zac Dysert

Where is Rod Smith when you need him to be the emergency qb and use the extra spot on another position
ward63 is offline   Reply With Quote