The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen
Default The league didn't approve a new CBA, they approved a settlement

There's a big difference. From what I understand, the league didn't approve the new CBA, they approved the settlement terms in the lawsuit. They can't approve a new CBA until the union re-certify's.

Also, the man you need to keep an eye on is attorney Jeff Kessler. PFT has been following him closely. He apparently is trying to bog things down so the whole thing goes nuclear and he can win a piece of the potentially billion dollar settlement if the suit goes through.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-be-done-now/

Quote:
At the top of the hour on ESPN, Sal Paolantonio reiterated what we’ve been saying for weeks: “We keep hearing from a lot of owners here that . . . Jeffrey Kessler is holding up this deal.”

Kessler apparently is holding up the deal in one way by ignoring all modern means of communication to insist on sending out union cards in the mail for players to sign and return.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2011, 09:46 PM   #2
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun
Don't piss off Manning.

Time to believe!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Juwan Thompson

God I hate lawyers!!!
UltimateHoboW/Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:51 PM   #3
Chris
Millenium Scrooge McDuck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
OrlandoFranklin

Ang him!

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
SoCalBronco
Nixonite

Adopt-a-Bronco:
D.J. Williams

Well...that's one narrative that's been presented but the other one is that its just a power play by the owners approving an agreement (and acting as if there is an agreement PR wise) containing terms that the other side hasn't agreed upon yet in order to pressure them to agree to these last few unresolved details.

Both of these things might be at play, but it does seem clear that the union isn't going to simply vote on and accept what the owners have characterized as the "agreement". This is probably going to take another week (or two if you believe Chester Pitts), so they are probably going to lose the first full week of preseason games in addition to the now cancelled HOF game.
SoCalBronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:23 PM   #5
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Apparently the players are voting tomorrow right? And they said upon agreement they will recertify and sign union cards at the training facilities. I think this gets done.
SonOfLe-loLang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I'm beginning to have my doubts that there will even be a season.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 10:39 PM   #7
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I'm beginning to have my doubts that there will even be a season.
My guess is youre overreacting
Old 07-21-2011, 11:01 PM   #8
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Kessler ****ed **** up in Empire City, too...

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:06 PM   #9
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Wont look good as a PR move for the players but this is much different than politics. Once this goes through in the next 2 weeks and season ticket holders get a refund on a ****ty preseason game, fans will rejoice and be ready for fall football. It won't quite be like SEC football and the sheer greatness that dominates all other types of football, but NFL will have to do. Signed, MacGruber.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #10
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

All Hail King Midas

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonOfLe-loLang View Post
My guess is youre overreacting
I hope so.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #11
UberBroncoMan
Your Local Nostradamus

Wut

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Nathaniel Irvig

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Kessler

The man, the myth, the legend.

Apparently tried to be a Governor this year. Guess he needs them monies for them power.
UberBroncoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:48 AM   #12
Doggcow
Please Help Rebel

http://www.gofundme.com/cvqzik

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 12:56 AM   #13
myMind
splinters reality until

We Grok

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberBroncoMan View Post
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeff_Kessler

The man, the myth, the legend.

Apparently tried to be a Governor this year. Guess he needs them monies for them power.
If this man has anything to do with the deal not going through, the NFL(players and owners) deserve not a single cent from my pocket.
Bureaucratic manipulations at this point are a blatant slap in the face to the people who actually reimburse the NFL coffers every year, emotionally invested fans.
myMind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:52 AM   #14
tnedator
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
He be gone..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
There's a big difference. From what I understand, the league didn't approve the new CBA, they approved the settlement terms in the lawsuit. They can't approve a new CBA until the union re-certify's.

Also, the man you need to keep an eye on is attorney Jeff Kessler. PFT has been following him closely. He apparently is trying to bog things down so the whole thing goes nuclear and he can win a piece of the potentially billion dollar settlement if the suit goes through.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...n-be-done-now/
Yea, I had a bit of an argument with someone over this (not here, elsewhere). It wasn't helped by the fact that ESPN had splattered all over their banners "Owners approve CBA" and things like that and kept saying the CBA was voted on.

Instead, as I understand it, they voted on terms of a settlement for the antitrust and other lawsuits. These terms would form the backbone of the CBA and cover most of the key parts of the CBA that the parties needed to negotiated.
tnedator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:09 AM   #15
Ray Finkle
DOOONNNTTTTT CAAARRREEE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBronco View Post
Well...that's one narrative that's been presented but the other one is that its just a power play by the owners approving an agreement (and acting as if there is an agreement PR wise) containing terms that the other side hasn't agreed upon yet in order to pressure them to agree to these last few unresolved details.

Both of these things might be at play, but it does seem clear that the union isn't going to simply vote on and accept what the owners have characterized as the "agreement". This is probably going to take another week (or two if you believe Chester Pitts), so they are probably going to lose the first full week of preseason games in addition to the now cancelled HOF game.
How could the other side see the agreement? It was negotiated and approved by their man (Smith), wouldn't it have been a conflict (or shown the NFLPA hasn't decertified) if Smith shared everything?

I'm with TJ, I get the growing doubt that there will not be a season. Much like in the NHL when Gretzky and Mario created 24 hours of good will that the season would be saved....no hockey then either.
Ray Finkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 05:53 AM   #16
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

I see this as a power play by the owners to make the players look bad and strong arm them into agreeing to a deal. The flip side, again that PFT pointed out, is the issue was the supplemental revenue sharing which was not heavily discussed in negotiations and in the current incarnation of the deal heavily favors the owners. The problem, as Mike Florio points out, is this was brought up by the owners and the players literally didn't care and elected to ignore the issue. So of course the owners said "fine, we got this" and made something favorable to them.

A deal can still get done when the players meet and vote. They only need 50% +1.
Old 07-22-2011, 05:57 AM   #17
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco John View Post
I hope so.
Weren't the owners prepared for an extended lockout?
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 06:03 AM   #18
tnedator
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
He be gone..

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
Weren't the owners prepared for an extended lockout?
I believe one of the court cases has put a hold on the TV revenue the owners negotiated that would come in even with a lockout or strike. So, the revenue stream the owners thought they would get even with no games being played is, at least based on the current ruling, cannot be distributed to the owners.
Old 07-22-2011, 06:52 AM   #19
Kaylore
Because I am better

Everything

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Pat Bowlen

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...last-12-hours/

Making sense of the last 12 hours

Quote:
The problem seems to be that, because the owners previously have pulled multiple fast ones, the players are understandably leery as the process of striking a decade-long labor deal reaches conclusion. And with NFLPA* leadership focused on digesting the final proposal and making a good decision about how to proceed, it appears that NFLPA* leadership didn’t have the time or the inclination to herd the many cats who took to Twitter and ESPN and NFL Network to send conflicting messages about what comes next.

Part of the problem is that there are conflicting interests among the rank and file. Plenty of guys (especially those without contracts) want to get this done. And plenty of guys who possibly would face losing their starting jobs and/or roster spots if rookies and/or free agents have enough time during training camp to leapfrog the incumbent lineup would like to slow it down for a couple of weeks.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:07 AM   #20
tnedator
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
He be gone..

Doesn't look like we will here anything today:
Quote:
RT @AlbertBreer: NFLPA statement: "Player leadership is discussing the most recent written proposal with the NFL, which includes a settlement agreement deal terms and the right process for addressing recertification. There will not be any further NFLPA statements today out of respect for the Kraft family while they mourn the loss of Myra Kraft."
RT @AlbertBreer: That statement was attributed to NFLPA president Kevin Mawae.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:14 AM   #21
Dedhed
Ring of Famer

Fare thee well

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Q Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylore View Post
I see this as a power play by the owners
This is just silly rhetoric at this point. It's not a "power play"; it's an attempt to get a deal in place in time to have the full season take place.

The players were dragging their feet, or just too dumb to get things together, so the owners took the initiative to ratify a deal.

There is no time left for power plays or maneuvering for leverage.
Dedhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #22
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dedhed View Post
This is just silly rhetoric at this point. It's not a "power play"; it's an attempt to get a deal in place in time to have the full season take place.

The players were dragging their feet, or just too dumb to get things together, so the owners took the initiative to ratify a deal.

There is no time left for power plays or maneuvering for leverage.
I dont think the two were mutually exclusive. This is a total power play. Half the twittersphere thought football was back on as of 7pm est yesterday because of how they portrayed it to the media.

What annoys me about the players is their apparent lack of urgency here.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #23
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

It includes all the main points and framework of the future "CBA"
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #24
tnedator
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
He be gone..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
It includes all the main points and framework of the future "CBA"
Which makes the argument of whether or not the voters approved a new CBA or settlement, mostly semantics.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #25
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnedator View Post
Which makes the argument of whether or not the voters approved a new CBA or settlement, mostly semantics.
To be fair, this whole ****ing thing is just semantics now and just downright stupid
TheReverend is online now   Reply With Quote