The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2011, 02:22 PM   #1
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler
Default Broncos Cap Room

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/67...cap-casualties

That link shows us at 1M under. Not much room to bring in free agents.

I've heard a lot of folks here talking about how much money we have to spend. What am I missing here?
Houshyamama is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2011, 02:26 PM   #2
TheReverend
www.PatrickTurley.org

Not. Too. Shabby.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

I'm running with the assumption that Clayton is wrong as usual until proven differently.
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:33 PM   #3
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

i think a lot of these supposed numbers of where we are with the cap are way off base. one of them was talking about how we were over and was counting the 72 guys listed on the roster when only the top 45 or 53 actually count against the cap.

until i see official i say these are all wrong.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #4
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Yeah I've seen a lot of different numbers. Why is it so hard to get an accurate total?
Old 07-20-2011, 02:41 PM   #5
bronco militia
OMG...this is horrible!

THE GREATEST

bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #6
Shananahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroncoMan4ever View Post
i think a lot of these supposed numbers of where we are with the cap are way off base. one of them was talking about how we were over and was counting the 72 guys listed on the roster when only the top 45 or 53 actually count against the cap.

until i see official i say these are all wrong.
According to this:

Quote:
Between the start of a league year (around March 1) and opening day only the 51 highest paid players count against the Salary Cap, even though the team could have up to 80 players on the roster at times. Prorated bonus amounts from players not on the top 51 salaries and any dead cap money also counts during this period. This is called the “Rule of 51”. From opening day until the end of the season all players on the roster (including injured reserve) and practice squad count against the cap.
Our top 51 contracts add up to about $95 million (team contracts), so that would leave Denver about $25 million under the cap.
Old 07-20-2011, 03:20 PM   #7
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

How can ESPN be that far off?
Old 07-20-2011, 03:56 PM   #8
Abqbronco
Seasoned Veteran

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Derick Domino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houshyamama View Post
How can ESPN be that far off?
Cuz they're ESPN. They are awful. Ask Dan Patrick
Abqbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #9
Rulon Velvet Jones
You're not really here.

Tight Butthole

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rent-A-DC

I don't know that anyone really knows the cap situation until they see the wording on the new CBA.
Rulon Velvet Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:22 PM   #10
BroncoMan4ever
Ring of Famer

That's just like your opinion, man

Adopt-a-Bronco:
VIRGIL GREEN!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
According to this:

Our top 51 contracts add up to about $95 million (team contracts), so that would leave Denver about $25 million under the cap.
this seems more likely.
BroncoMan4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:34 PM   #11
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shananahan View Post
According to this:

I don't think that $95m includes bonus money that is now all hitting at once rather than being prorated.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:15 PM   #12
TonyR
Franchise Poster

According to Legwold...

The Broncos have 72 players on their roster and nearly $129 million in salary commitments.

Read more: Q&A: Broncos will have some juggling to do to get under NFL's new salary cap - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz1ShLjyF9I
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:40 PM   #13
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Eddie Mac 87 gone but never forgott

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Legwold must think all 72 players count, which is ridiculous. He also thinks there's dead money which we are led to believe there wont be for players released under the previous CBA.

Clayton's numbers are also working on the assumption that prorated signing bonuses still count towards cap even though they've been paid in a previous season which is wrong.

Last edited by eddie mac; 07-20-2011 at 06:45 PM..
eddie mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:48 PM   #14
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
According to Legwold...

The Broncos have 72 players on their roster and nearly $129 million in salary commitments.

Read more: Q&A: Broncos will have some juggling to do to get under NFL's new salary cap - The Denver Post http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci...#ixzz1ShLjyF9I
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: http://www.denverpost.com/termsofuse
BTW Tony that question Legwold answered was from me.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:03 PM   #15
Houshyamama
I Make The Weather

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Brock Osweiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post
Legwold must think all 72 players count, which is ridiculous. He also thinks there's dead money which we are led to believe there wont be for players released under the previous CBA.

Clayton's numbers are also working on the assumption that prorated signing bonuses still count towards cap even though they've been paid in a previous season which is wrong.
So I guess the answer is 'we don't know yet'.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:32 PM   #16
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie mac View Post

I don't think Leggy thinks that all 72 players count. They were talking about it on the radio today and even had a player agent as a guest... He confirmed that as it stands right now, the Broncos don't have a lot of room. He also said that things are about to get incredibly busy. There are over 1000 players that are either free agents, street free agents, draft picks, udfas, and they expect several more to be released in the coming days. All of which will be trying to work out new deals... And that doesn't include the numerous contracts that teams will try to rework in order to free up cap space.

Who knows how this will all work out. They could restructure players to get more guaranteed money if they are willing to lengthen their contracts. Ultimately, this could lead to a lot more dead money if teams start scrambling to free up space for the here and now.

Take Champ for example, they could take his 40m contract, guarantee it all, and spread it out over 5 years with this year's salary at 7m. That would immediately free up about 3m, but if Champ declines in the 3rd or 4th year, he is still getting paid 7 or 8 million per year and its still going against our cap.

I would expect to see them renegotiate a few player's deals. Doom, Dawkins, Kuper, Champ, DJ, and Clady are all possibilities.

Oh, and expect Von's contract to be around 30m with about half of that in guarantees. To put that into perspective, the total amount of his contract will be a little less than Suh's guaranteed money as the #2 last year. Good year to have that high pick!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 02:52 PM   #17
kupesdad
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
I don't think Leggy thinks that all 72 players count. They were talking about it on the radio today and even had a player agent as a guest... He confirmed that as it stands right now, the Broncos don't have a lot of room. He also said that things are about to get incredibly busy. There are over 1000 players that are either free agents, street free agents, draft picks, udfas, and they expect several more to be released in the coming days. All of which will be trying to work out new deals... And that doesn't include the numerous contracts that teams will try to rework in order to free up cap space.

Who knows how this will all work out. They could restructure players to get more guaranteed money if they are willing to lengthen their contracts. Ultimately, this could lead to a lot more dead money if teams start scrambling to free up space for the here and now.

Take Champ for example, they could take his 40m contract, guarantee it all, and spread it out over 5 years with this year's salary at 7m. That would immediately free up about 3m, but if Champ declines in the 3rd or 4th year, he is still getting paid 7 or 8 million per year and its still going against our cap.

I would expect to see them renegotiate a few player's deals. Doom, Dawkins, Kuper, Champ, DJ, and Clady are all possibilities.

Oh, and expect Von's contract to be around 30m with about half of that in guarantees. To put that into perspective, the total amount of his contract will be a little less than Suh's guaranteed money as the #2 last year. Good year to have that high pick!

The team has 5 days to accept the contract of the players. We'll see what happens.
kupesdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:28 PM   #18
zdoor
Jamaica Bound!

Orton is on the books for 8 million and Dawkins for 6. Neither of those is likely to stay the way they are.
zdoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #19
eddie mac
Ireland's No1 Bronco

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rod Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post

I maintain that he is counting all contracted players if you read what he states below.

Teams likely will have to be under the salary cap the week before the start of the regular season and stay there. If teams are allowed 53 players on their rosters, that's the cutdown mark for the cap too.

The Broncos have 72 players on their roster and they have nearly $129 million in salary commitments. That will include some "dead money" accounting, including the contracts of Williams, Bannan and Graham. Every team likely will have some dead money, so the Broncos aren't alone there.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:57 PM   #20
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote