The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2011, 09:10 AM   #1
Mediator12
OM analyst

Roby AND Latimer?Who the Hell Knew?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Malik Jackson
Default NFL, teams face challenge of setting rosters in short order

As we get closer to the players and owners reaching a new collective bargaining agreement, the NFL should know that tons of work awaits the folks at its headquarters.

Keep in mind that every player contract agreed upon is reviewed by the league office for approval, which could take a lot of time if a contract is rejected. All it would take to make a deal null and void is something as small as a language dispute, sending the player back into the free-agent pool or, in the case of restructuring a deal, the team back to square one.

I spoke to two head coaches last week at the American Century celebrity golf tournament in South Lake Tahoe, Nev., and both expressed concern about getting deals done and approved.

"I hope the league office can handle the flood of contracts that are going to pour into their office," one coach said.

By my count, there are roughly 1,850 players currently under contract in the NFL, which means to get to 90-man rosters before camp it's going to take another 1,030 players getting signed. One thing we do know for a fact is that 254 draft picks are waiting for contracts, but nobody knows the market for free agents. I expect the first deals to happen right after the green light is lit, which will really upset some general managers around the league who will wonder if they can afford to compete in the new market.

In years past a number of shrewd GMs let the first wave of free agency come and go before they got into the game, but that was when free agency was a standard five-month process.

Needless to say, this isn't years past.

There will be acceleration in decision making when it comes to signings and trades in order to get the new roster into camp. With all this action happening so fast, can you imagine the chaos at 280 Park Avenue when the NFL has to review more than 1,000 contracts and renegotiations?

More here: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...P11_hot_topics
Mediator12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
Beantown Bronco
Athletic Supporter

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matt Prater

In a good year, with no changes to the CBA, it takes these jokers more than a day to determine if a contract is acceptable or not. This year, with all the changes that even the contract review team itself is not fully aware of, much less experts of, I just can't see how they can get it done with the same level of detail. They're really going to have to isolate their review to certain key areas or terms of these contracts and gloss over the rest. There's simply not enough time to do what they normally do with these things.
Beantown Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

It's going to be an insane free for all.

I'm looking forward to it all, as it will probably be a unique experience and will be fun to see how these front offices handle it all.

The great front offices and GMs will have a chance to improve their teams a lot in a short amount of time. The inept ones will have a chance to screw things up quickly in a short amount of time.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:21 AM   #4
s0phr0syne
Symbiotic

Absorb and Redirect

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

I'm looking forward to it all, as it will probably be a unique experience and will be fun to see how these front offices handle it all.

The great front offices and GMs will have a chance to improve their teams a lot in a short amount of time. The inept ones will have a chance to screw things up quickly in a short amount of time.

I don't see how this bodes well for Xanders...

Maybe he'll work this like Cici's Pizza works their buffet lines--efficiency to create a sub-par product.

I know, Imma hater.
s0phr0syne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:33 AM   #5
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthStndJunkie View Post

I was thinking the same thing. We are going to find out real quick if our FO is going to sink or swim. There is great opportunity for a bad team to improve if this is handled correctly.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Militia brought up the fact that we might not get the FA's we "want" due to denver not being "marquee" enough to bring them in.

I am interested to see how the franchise fairs.
alkemical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #7
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

Dogs and cats sleeping together.
Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #8
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

It's a good year to be lucky...
TheReverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:39 AM   #9
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Goblin View Post
Dogs and cats sleeping together.
"living"
Old 07-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #10
Man-Goblin
One Gap Penetrator

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Connor Barth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReverend View Post
"living"
I stand corrected. But what do you mean 'biblical"?

Man-Goblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 10:47 AM   #11
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkemical View Post
Militia brought up the fact that we might not get the FA's we "want" due to denver not being "marquee" enough to bring them in.

I am interested to see how the franchise fairs.
I would say it will have more to do with other teams overpaying for people that will hurt us more than anything in FA

Denver not being a marquee franchise overall, I don't buy it even with my bias
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 11:58 AM   #12
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
I would say it will have more to do with other teams overpaying for people that will hurt us more than anything in FA

Denver not being a marquee franchise overall, I don't buy it even with my bias
Oh don't think DEN is considered a marquee franchise these days. DEN would have to overpay to get FA's here, not PITT (example).
Old 07-19-2011, 12:11 PM   #13
Dr. Broncenstein
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Trey Gowdy

I would imagine the line for veteran free agents looking for a championship starts right outside of Xanders' office.
Dr. Broncenstein is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 12:23 PM   #14
Mr. Elway
cakn patna

Call me cynical but I suspect the vast majority of veteran FAs are looking to get paid, and precious few would take a pay cut in exchange for a ring. Add to that the credibility of Elway as VP and the fact that Denver is a nice place to live and I think we stack up pretty well. EFX seemed well-prepared for the draft and they've had plenty of time to get ready for free agency.
Mr. Elway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:19 PM   #15
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
I would imagine the line for veteran free agents looking for a championship starts right outside of Xanders' office.
Who wouldn't want to play on the same team as Kyle Orton?
Old 07-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #16
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
Who wouldn't want to play on the same team as Kyle Orton?
I'm really not trying to be argumentative here, but have you met the NFL leader for receiving yards - his name is Brandon Lloyd. Kyle Orton took him from a sub-performing pro, to an all pro.

Tebow may be our guy to win a championship, but Kyle (like Jay Cutler) can do a good job of racking up the stats in the right environment.

So, in response to your post, smart WR's should be happy to play on a KO quarterbacked team.
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #17
alkemical
Guerrilla Ontologist

rorrim|mirror

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Prima Materia

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhargrove View Post
I'm really not trying to be argumentative here, but have you met the NFL leader for receiving yards - his name is Brandon Lloyd. Kyle Orton took him from a sub-performing pro, to an all pro.

Tebow may be our guy to win a championship, but Kyle (like Jay Cutler) can do a good job of racking up the stats in the right environment.

So, in response to your post, smart WR's should be happy to play on a KO quarterbacked team.
IF McDaniels was still running the O.

I will admit - that McD's passing O - was actually pretty cool "when it worked".
Old 07-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #18
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:

That will go a long way towards OL that want to have a player make them look like ****.

Or maybe some defensive guys that want to rack up stats by being on the field all the day.

Or guys that want to parlay lack of winning into $
Old 07-19-2011, 01:51 PM   #19
TonyR
Franchise Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Elway View Post
Add to that the credibility of Elway as VP...
You may be right, and I hope you are, but we don't know for sure that he has a lot of credibility. We love him because he's John Elway and he's a Denver Bronco for life. But it was reported that there was a lot of snickering around the league when Denver hired him, primarily because of the spotty record of former players stepping into such a role with little to no experience.
TonyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #20
cmhargrove
Is this thing on???

Travis Henry's love child...

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Hillis

Quote:
That will go a long way towards OL that want to have a player make them look like ****.

Or maybe some defensive guys that want to rack up stats by being on the field all the day.

Or guys that want to parlay lack of winning into $
I'm not going out to buy a #8 jersey any time soon...
cmhargrove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #21
TheReverend
Permanent Facepalm

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mike Shanahan

Quote:
I'm not going out to buy a #8 jersey any time soon...
Neither will Orton's family.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #22
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I can't wait for the free for all to begin and I think EFX has already got there list ready and phones set on redial. They should be well prepared and hopefully they sign some huge FA's to bolster this team
oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote