The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Default Weekend BBQ

Since I have spent the better part of today smoking a pork shoulder I was wondering who else is into slow cooked/smoked BBQ.

I injected a 7lb shoulder last night with a mixture of apple juice, sugar, salt, water, and Worcestershire sauce. Put on a dry rub this morning (http://www.adkinsseasoning.com/Store.html) and have been smoking away. It should be ready in an hour or so. I love me some BBQ.

Any other BBQ people out there.
Drunk Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2011, 04:15 PM   #2
RhymesayersDU
Go Broncos, Nuggets, Rox

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ty Lawson

Smoking a pork, eh?

Blart?
RhymesayersDU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:18 PM   #3
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

My wife doesn't like pork so we stay away from it generally. I do lots of things slow cooked but haven't really gotten into the smoking thing. Can you really tell a big difference on a smoker vs a slow cooker (crock pot) and then BBQ'ing it?

I guess the issue would be if you dry rubbed the smoked stuff. Slow cookered basically has to be BBQ'd because it has to be cooked in water to avoid burning.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #4
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post

My wife doesn't like pork so we stay away from it generally. I do lots of things slow cooked but haven't really gotten into the smoking thing. Can you really tell a big difference on a smoker vs a slow cooker (crock pot) and then BBQ'ing it?

I guess the issue would be if you dry rubbed the smoked stuff. Slow cookered basically has to be BBQ'd because it has to be cooked in water to avoid burning.
Huge difference. Smoking something really infuses the meat with that smokey flavor. It can also have a similar texture of a crock pot if that is what you are looking for. I smoked the shoulder open on the grated for 6 hours then wrapped it in foil for the last 3. Basically it boils the meet in it's own juices to give it that tender falling apart texture.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:43 PM   #5
Lev Vyvanse
Ring of Famer

Smoked baby back ribs FTW! I cook them on the smoker 5 or 6 times a year.
Lev Vyvanse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 04:58 PM   #6
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lev Vyvanse View Post
Nice, ribs done well are great.

The best thing about smoking meat is the cost. For 2 pork shoulders it cost $26. I got 13.7lbs for that. It would take my entire street to consume that in one sitting.
Old 07-17-2011, 05:38 PM   #7
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lev Vyvanse View Post
I have had the pleasure of eating the ribs off of Lev's smoker. I will no longer pay any establishment for ribs, as I would simply be disappoint. They could not be better.
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
Jay3

Mo power to you -- slow smoked pork shoulder is one of my favorite things.

But sold on every corner around here so it's rare to do it yourself. I have done it, though.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:10 PM   #9
Goobzilla
Lights Out B***h!

BA-ZING!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Erickson

Goob and the Mrs. are both KCBS certified bbq judges, and I cook a little as well.
Goobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #10
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goobzilla View Post
Goob and the Mrs. are both KCBS certified bbq judges, and I cook a little as well.
What does one have to do to become KCBS
Old 07-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #11
Goobzilla
Lights Out B***h!

BA-ZING!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Mitch Erickson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunk Monkey View Post
What does one have to do to become KCBS
Take a judging class they sponsor. Check their website for one near you kcbs.us
Goobzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:35 PM   #12
80smith
Perennial Pro-bowler

Love me some grilled food!

My father's day present! Weber rotisserie for the charcoal grill.

Name:  51j2jcFUiSL__AA300_.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  21.7 KB
(not my picture)

Talk about slow cook! Did a chicken and went to take the leg off and pulled the bone right out of the chicken with no trouble.

Buddy of mine does a shoulder and its good! I hope to do one with in the next few weeks. I don't smoke much, Family does not like it, But the rotisserie was a great buy!
80smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:39 PM   #13
SouthStndJunkie
Ring of Famer

Shannon Says: Listen to The Junkman

I grilled some bourbon marinated beef and chicken skewers with vegetables this weekend.

Grilled those and some local grown fresh corn on the cob, sliced up potatoes and cooked on the grill after being brushed with olive oil and finished the meal off with some fresh cold watermelon for dessert.
SouthStndJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:45 PM   #14
strafen

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Elway

I enjoy cooking on the weekend and spending quality time with my loved ones.
I cooked some nice super tender lamb ribs.
I love lamb. good stuff. I've got them from a friend of mine who got some good connections on all kind of tender meat.
strafen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:42 AM   #15
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Since I have spent the better part of today smoking a pork shoulder I was wondering who else is into slow cooked/smoked BBQ.

I injected a 7lb shoulder last night with a mixture of apple juice, sugar, salt, water, and Worcestershire sauce. Put on a dry rub this morning (http://www.adkinsseasoning.com/Store.html) and have been smoking away. It should be ready in an hour or so. I love me some BBQ.

Any other BBQ people out there.
I did a pork shoulder two weeks ago.

Thats not a bad injection but next time try replacing the sugar with brown sugar, and adding a bit of vinegar. Other than that though I generally use a similar injection.

Do you make or buy a rub? Most times I will use a bought one but from time to time I will make my own.

How long you cook it for? The one I made two weeks ago was a 10 pounder and I cooked it for about 7.5 hours at 280-290 and when it came off the smoker and I went to cut into it it fell apart. Tender and juicy awesomeness.

I prefer apple wood for pork too.

Here it was about 20 minutes after I put it on:

And this was it about 2 hours left to cook
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #16
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Busy working yesterday but slow cooking any meat is pure awesome. I didnt BBQ/Grill yesterday but I did do a crock pot for 8 hours for making pulled pork sandwiches. Basic to do and added 2 garlics, onion powder, onion slices, garlic powder and ground pepper. 1 hour at least before it is done, put the BBQ sauce on it and break it apart to spread the sauce around. If anyone else has ingredients to add, let me know.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #17
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I love using my smoker, I have always avoided injecting pork shoulders though because I heard there is a fine line there before you make it ham like...if you guys reccomend it I will have to try.

I switched to apple or cherry wood for pork as well, it doesn't have a real overpowering smoke but gives it a nice flavor.

I did some smoked mac and cheese a week ago, that stuff is awesome
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:50 PM   #18
Pony Boy
"Whoa Nellie"

Omaha !!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
mellon head

smoked bologna

This no joke, don't knock it till you've tried it....... yummmm

Last edited by Pony Boy; 11-02-2013 at 05:31 PM..
Pony Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 01:54 PM   #19
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

This thread is relevant to my interests.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #20
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Chalk View Post
I did a pork shoulder two weeks ago.

That's not a bad injection but next time try replacing the sugar with brown sugar, and adding a bit of vinegar. Other than that though I generally use a similar injection.

Do you make or buy a rub? Most times I will use a bought one but from time to time I will make my own.

How long you cook it for? The one I made two weeks ago was a 10 pounder and I cooked it for about 7.5 hours at 280-290 and when it came off the smoker and I went to cut into it it fell apart. Tender and juicy awesomeness.

I prefer apple wood for pork too.

Here it was about 20 minutes after I put it on:

And this was it about 2 hours left to cook
Looks good. I went with a store bought rub this time (in op). I have tried some home made ones that were pretty good but I think the store bought one was better. I cooked it for 9 hours at 225. I bumped it up to 245 for the last hour to speed it up a little (wrapped in foil for the last 3 hours, heavy smoke for the first 6). Pulled it off when the internal temp hit 195. It... was.... glorious. My wife who is on the fence when it comes to smoked meat went back for seconds.

I used http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20.../dp/B00104WRCY which does a great job of holding the temp constant but sucks for smoke. I just got one of these and used it for the first time yesterday http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/smokers.htm and it worked perfect.

Next up is a brisket, I still have yet to smoke a good one. It's tough to do without drying it out.
Old 07-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #21
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabb View Post
I love using my smoker, I have always avoided injecting pork shoulders though because I heard there is a fine line there before you make it ham like...if you guys reccomend it I will have to try.

I switched to apple or cherry wood for pork as well, it doesn't have a real overpowering smoke but gives it a nice flavor.

I did some smoked mac and cheese a week ago, that stuff is awesome
You should definitely try injecting it next time. It really adds a lot of flavor. Smoked mac and cheese, that sounds interesting. how did you do it?
Old 07-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #22
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Broncenstein View Post
This thread is relevant to my interests.
Not until someone pours Diet Dr. Pepper onto the meat and then sprinkle in some BACON!
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 02:41 PM   #23
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Looks good. I went with a store bought rub this time (in op). I have tried some home made ones that were pretty good but I think the store bought one was better. I cooked it for 9 hours at 225. I bumped it up to 245 for the last hour to speed it up a little (wrapped in foil for the last 3 hours, heavy smoke for the first 6). Pulled it off when the internal temp hit 195. It... was.... glorious. My wife who is on the fence when it comes to smoked meat went back for seconds.

I used http://www.amazon.com/Masterbuilt-20.../dp/B00104WRCY which does a great job of holding the temp constant but sucks for smoke. I just got one of these and used it for the first time yesterday http://www.smokedaddyinc.com/smokers.htm and it worked perfect.

Next up is a brisket, I still have yet to smoke a good one. It's tough to do without drying it out.
I have had about 5 different smokers and what I have found is that each one is unique and meat has to be cooked on its own temperature on each one. My 3rd smoker, pork cooked brilliantly at 240, but this smoker, pork won't cook right unless its at 275-290.

Beef, poultry, sausage, same way. Finding the smoker's character takes about 3 or 4 tries when you get a new smoker.

I like my new one, perfect for the size of bbq that I do. Can cook a large brisket or two pork butts/shoulders, or a 15 lbs turkey with ease.

Like you though, I will most times buy a rub. Its easier and most of the rubs out there are pretty good. I do make my own injections and my own bbq sauce though. I prefer my bbq sauce to be a bit on the spicy side.

Wood choice is an entirely different matter. In Texas, these douches like Hickory or Mesquite and some pecan (which I happen to love). NO FRUIT WOODS DOWN HERE!!! (Good thing I have family in OKC who comes down about 4 times a year and brings me more wood)

Which sucks because I absolutely love cooking with Apple or Maple. I just tried cherry recently and was fond of it as well and my uncle swears by peach but I've never cooked with it.

Beef I generally stick to pecan though, pork I will do either apple or now, cherry, poultry solely apple.

I was really irritated last weekend when the wife had to work and put the kabosh on my BBQ plans but this weekend Im doing another pork butt + enbrouchette and throwing a modified bacon explosion (cheese filled) on the smoker for a few hours to double with the enbrouchette as an appetizer. Good times.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:18 PM   #24
Rabb
No Luca, No!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dynamite Monkey

I'll post the mac and cheese recipe, it's from a cook book and man my family loves it

I will have to talk to you guys about injecting more when the time nears

I use a store bought rub from this place by my folks in Florida and it is amazing...I use it on ribs as well, it's called Butt Rub

http://buttrub.com/

I have a Masterbuilt smokehouse, aka "Smokey"
Rabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:50 PM   #25
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

I love to BBQ but it has been way too hot to be out barbequing and here's what we have to look forward to and then you add the Heat index of 108-115......well you get the idea

oubronco is offline   Reply With Quote