The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward
Default Restaurant bans kids under 6

Restaurant bans kids under 6. Discrimination or smart move?.
by Piper Weiss, Shine Staff, on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:41am PDT11478

At a PA restaurant it's no shirt, no shoes, no kids, no dice. At McDain's Restaurant, in Monroeville, Pennsylvania, kids don't eat free. And starting next week, they don't get to eat at all. Mike Vuick, owner of the Pittsburgh area eatery has just announced a ban on children under 6 at his casual dining establishment.

After receiving noise complaints from customers about crying kids at neighboring tables, Vuick decided to institute the policy, which will go into effect July 16.

In an email to customers, Vuick explained: "We feel that McDain's is not a place for young children. Their volume can't be controlled and many, many times, they have disturbed other customers."

The owner of the "upscale, casual and quiet" restaurant explains to WTAE Local News, he's got nothing against kids in general, but their endless screams at public dinner tables are "the height of being impolite and selfish."

Last year, North Carolina's Olde Salty restaurant made a similar decision. Owner Brenda Armes posted a sign that read "Screaming children will not be tolerated", making it clear to parents when their kids scream, they'll be asked to take it outside. Armes said the move has boosted business, and Vuick is confident his ban will benefit McDain's as well.

But not everyone is on board. Some Monroeville locals are offended that they're being singled out for having young kids, and pointing fingers at noisy adults.

"If they're so concerned about noise, what do they plan to do about the loud people at the bar?" asks one local resident.

It's not illegal to ban kids from eating establishments, but some parents consider the move discriminatory, and potentially a violation of rights for certain special needs kids. What do you think: are kid-free restaurants a great idea or flat-out wrong?

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/paren...-move-2509487/

Unfortunately it's not the kids, it's the parents. So many I see sit there while their kids climb all over, run up and down aisles, scream. The parents seem to think it's their kids right to do or that ignoring their screaming is working. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but don't do your parenting techniques at the expense of others. And sorry, your kids aren't cute to everyone. Remove the child or deal with the situation and solve it. For the older ones, teaching some manners might be a good idea. For the babies, I know they cry but you weren't given the right to go to a restaurant in the Bill of Rights. I'd go to this restaurant just for this reason.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Kids will do what they do. If this is a nicer restaurant, then its mandatory the folks get a sitter. Never understood that. Parents with young kids taking them to a place a kid will be bored, wont eat the food and has nothing designed specifically for them.

Archer81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:34 PM   #3
Dr. Broncenstein
Nacho Nacho Fan

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Dookie Nacho

Sounds reasonable. Free country.
Dr. Broncenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:35 PM   #4
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirhcyennek81 View Post
Kids will do what they do. If this is a nicer restaurant, then its mandatory the folks get a sitter. Never understood that. Parents with young kids taking them to a place a kid will be bored, wont eat the food and has nothing designed specifically for them.

Exactly. I have been more than willing to help a parent out when they ARE trying to deal with a child. Hold another child, watch the other child while the parents are dealing with the other one. I know it can be frustrating. But there comes a point where it's time to leave. Lay the ground rules before leaving the house. A child of 3 can understand them as long as your consistent with them. If they don't get it, don't come or get a sitter.
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:51 PM   #5
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Good on'em.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:05 PM   #6
houghtam
Ring of Famer

+1

I sometimes wish we could ban kids at the movie theater, but unfortunately they're the ones that drive our business.

I always love speaking with the parents waiting outside in the hall with their kids out of consideration for the other folks in the theater, and offer them a pass to come back every time for their courtesy. I have a 2 year old myself and we've been fortunate for him to sit through movies fairly quietly, but we always sit on the aisle and are ready to take him out into the hall at a moment's notice.

I wish everyone would just use common sense and common courtesy. Guess those things just aren't too common anymore.
houghtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #7
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I love how at the end it says it may be discriminatory to kids with special needs. It's as if they're struggling to find ANY reason why it should be deemed illegal when special needs kids don't factor into the equation at all.

Don't like it, don't eat there. But I generally think that premise should apply for everything and we had that debate in the old thread about Rand Paul commenting on the civil rights legislation. If it's my business and I choose not to serve you because you smell bad, have kids, or look like a lizard... well, that should be my right. The government though... they don't always see it that way.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:08 PM   #8
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
+1

I sometimes wish we could ban kids at the movie theater, but unfortunately they're the ones that drive our business.

I always love speaking with the parents waiting outside in the hall with their kids out of consideration for the other folks in the theater, and offer them a pass to come back every time for their courtesy.
I have a 2 year old myself and we've been fortunate for him to sit through movies fairly quietly, but we always sit on the aisle and are ready to take him out into the hall at a moment's notice.

I wish everyone would just use common sense and common courtesy. Guess those things just aren't too common anymore.
That's an awesome policy and I bet it's greatly appreciated.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:10 PM   #9
bowtown
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Aaron Brewer

His name is Mike Vuick and he runs a restaurant called McD's. Weird.
bowtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #10
TDmvp
Ring of Famer

Herlocker ABatar MOJO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowtown View Post
His name is Mike Vuick and he runs a restaurant called McD's. Weird.

Quote:
I'm McDowell's. They got the Golden Arches, mine is the Golden Arcs. They got the Big Mac, I got the Big Mick. We both got two all-beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles and onions, but their buns have sesame seeds. My buns have no seeds.
TDmvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:22 PM   #11
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

This is why I prefer to go to strip clubs when I go out to dinner, I hate having noisy kids around me when I eat poorly cooked bland food.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:52 PM   #12
serious hops
Developmental poster

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Kuper

I ****ing LOVE this. That is all.
serious hops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:06 PM   #13
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

Not a bad idea, I wish they did this at movies.

Who brings a newborn to a movie, I mean I love kids but when they ruin the movie that isn't cool.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #14
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

FanTASTIC Idea imo. Plenty of restaurants to bring young children to.

here's a link to the video:

http://www.wtae.com/video/28491075/detail.html
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:23 PM   #15
Bronco Vixen
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramblin' Bronco View Post
Not a bad idea, I wish they did this at movies.

Who brings a newborn to a movie, I mean I love kids but when they ruin the movie that isn't cool.
Not to mention sporting events. What is this new obsession with bringing infants to games? I saw a guy at the Rockies game last week with a baby that I swear was still covered in placenta.

Rule of thumb when we were kids, if you were still loading up your pantaloons, you were not setting foot in a stadium.
Bronco Vixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #16
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Quote:
Originally Posted by houghtam View Post
+1

I always love speaking with the parents waiting outside in the hall with their kids out of consideration for the other folks in the theater, and offer them a pass to come back every time for their courtesy. I have a 2 year old myself and we've been fortunate for him to sit through movies fairly quietly, but we always sit on the aisle and are ready to take him out into the hall at a moment's notice.

Good post!

I have three young kids and agree completely that if your kids are acting up you should be responsible as a parent to either remove them from the environment or calm them so they are not disruptive for others. I can appreciate a business owners decision to eliminate the potential issue... Not like we are talking about McDonalds, IHOP, or Red Robin here.
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:48 PM   #17
ghwk
Ring of Famer

DOUBLE JESUS MUTHER EFFERS!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Be Smokin

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
I love how at the end it says it may be discriminatory to kids with special needs. It's as if they're struggling to find ANY reason why it should be deemed illegal when special needs kids don't factor into the equation at all.

Don't like it, don't eat there. But I generally think that premise should apply for everything and we had that debate in the old thread about Rand Paul commenting on the civil rights legislation. If it's my business and I choose not to serve you because you smell bad, have kids, or look like a lizard... well, that should be my right. The government though... they don't always see it that way.
Unfortunately you skipped over why the law was inacted, which proves you to be fairly ignorant in this matter, it's because people used to discriminate simply on color of skin regardless of behavior. You sort of missed the whole discrimination part.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:54 PM   #18
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Restaurant bans kids under 6. Discrimination or smart move?.
by Piper Weiss, Shine Staff, on Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:41am PDT11478

At a PA restaurant it's no shirt, no shoes, no kids, no dice. At McDain's Restaurant, in Monroeville, Pennsylvania, kids don't eat free. And starting next week, they don't get to eat at all. Mike Vuick, owner of the Pittsburgh area eatery has just announced a ban on children under 6 at his casual dining establishment.

After receiving noise complaints from customers about crying kids at neighboring tables, Vuick decided to institute the policy, which will go into effect July 16.

In an email to customers, Vuick explained: "We feel that McDain's is not a place for young children. Their volume can't be controlled and many, many times, they have disturbed other customers."

The owner of the "upscale, casual and quiet" restaurant explains to WTAE Local News, he's got nothing against kids in general, but their endless screams at public dinner tables are "the height of being impolite and selfish."

Last year, North Carolina's Olde Salty restaurant made a similar decision. Owner Brenda Armes posted a sign that read "Screaming children will not be tolerated", making it clear to parents when their kids scream, they'll be asked to take it outside. Armes said the move has boosted business, and Vuick is confident his ban will benefit McDain's as well.

But not everyone is on board. Some Monroeville locals are offended that they're being singled out for having young kids, and pointing fingers at noisy adults.

"If they're so concerned about noise, what do they plan to do about the loud people at the bar?" asks one local resident.

It's not illegal to ban kids from eating establishments, but some parents consider the move discriminatory, and potentially a violation of rights for certain special needs kids. What do you think: are kid-free restaurants a great idea or flat-out wrong?

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/paren...-move-2509487/

Unfortunately it's not the kids, it's the parents. So many I see sit there while their kids climb all over, run up and down aisles, scream. The parents seem to think it's their kids right to do or that ignoring their screaming is working. Maybe it does, maybe it doesn't, but don't do your parenting techniques at the expense of others. And sorry, your kids aren't cute to everyone. Remove the child or deal with the situation and solve it. For the older ones, teaching some manners might be a good idea. For the babies, I know they cry but you weren't given the right to go to a restaurant in the Bill of Rights. I'd go to this restaurant just for this reason.

TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:57 PM   #19
TailgateNut
Bleedin' orange!

.......as much as tebonites

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Howard Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoman13 View Post
Good post!

I have three young kids and agree completely that if your kids are acting up you should be responsible as a parent to either remove them from the environment or calm them so they are not disruptive for others. I can appreciate a business owners decision to eliminate the potential issue... Not like we are talking about McDonalds, IHOP, or Red Robin here.

No wonder you haven't been at the games lately. They don't allow noisemakers at Incestco.
TailgateNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:00 PM   #20
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghwk View Post
Unfortunately you skipped over why the law was inacted, which proves you to be fairly ignorant in this matter, it's because people used to discriminate simply on color of skin regardless of behavior. You sort of missed the whole discrimination part.
No, it wasn't missed.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:06 PM   #21
ghwk
Ring of Famer

DOUBLE JESUS MUTHER EFFERS!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Be Smokin

Quote:
Originally Posted by That One Guy View Post
No, it wasn't missed.
Sorry I get it, being a racist and banning on basis of skin color is cool with you.
ghwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 11:54 PM   #22
cutthemdown
A verbis ad verbera

Zimm to HOF

I love this. I hope some places around me do this and I will for sure go eat there. I like the idea of 18 and over movie theaters also. My brother does some legal work for the arc light cinemas that serve liquor, those are pretty cool. Kids running around being brats ruins things for other adults. People with kids should train their little snot nosed creatures better.
cutthemdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:12 AM   #23
Doggcow
Rebel Laughs

At Unbelievers

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Von Miller

Good. Kids are ****ing annoying.

I banned them from my apartment and relationships.
Doggcow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:41 AM   #24
Bronco Boy
Avid Ambien Abuser

Eric Fischer: Catholic Priest

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Eric Decker

Are there any airlines that don't allow kids? That would be awesome.
Bronco Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 12:45 AM   #25
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Peddling the Orange Addiction

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

As a father with two kids under 6, I have no problem with this.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote