The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P
Default Torchwood: Miracle Day

Anyone watch the season premiere on Starz? I was pretty damn confused, didn't make it more than half way through. It was late, I was tired, and it wasn't doing a good job of keeping me interested.

I'm gonna give it another go sometime today, but was wondering if anyone else felt similarly? The acting was kind of weak, the action was meh...I dunno. Like I said, I'll watch the entire thing today, hopefully it gets better.

Anyone watch the original BBC versions of the show?
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
Dutch
The Flying Dutchman

Leatherneck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobs McGee View Post
Anyone watch the season premiere on Starz? I was pretty damn confused, didn't make it more than half way through. It was late, I was tired, and it wasn't doing a good job of keeping me interested.

I'm gonna give it another go sometime today, but was wondering if anyone else felt similarly? The acting was kind of weak, the action was meh...I dunno. Like I said, I'll watch the entire thing today, hopefully it gets better.

My wife and I tried to get into the original on Netflix. Watched 4 or 5 episodes before we gave up on it. We basically had the same problems with it that you stated in the second paragraph. Too bad as the cast is pretty good/likable and I was hoping the increased production costs would also bring better writing with it. Bummer. With Thrones and Treme over, we were looking for a fill in.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:00 PM   #3
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Each one starz makes is awful and worse than the one before.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 02:56 PM   #4
Pick Six
Armchair Poster

The premise is...interesting. What if nobody died? That would cause a huge population problem. Torchwood is a Doctor Who spinoff, so I'm willing to give it more of a shot than other programs...
Pick Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #5
Dutch
The Flying Dutchman

Leatherneck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Rubin Carter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post
The premise is...interesting. What if nobody died? That would cause a huge population problem. Torchwood is a Doctor Who spinoff, so I'm willing to give it more of a shot than other programs...
We felt the same way with the BBC original. Just didn't work out that way. I had high hopes after seeing this was coming to Starz that they would up the overall ante' with better writing and a higher production value. I'll probably check it out later at night and see if it has improved.
Dutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crushaholic View Post

If nobody died, what would be the point of having children?

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 03:57 PM   #7
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

It's not a reboot or a remake -- it's just season 4. Go watch the other seasons. =)
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:21 PM   #8
Fedaykin
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

At the end of season 3, most of the main cast was killed off. Only Jack Harkness and Gwen Cooper survived and returned.

Torchwood is a super secret covert ops organization in the UK. It's purpose is to investigate alien and other threats and to develop defenses. It was setup in the 2006 series of Doctor Who (in universe, it was created by Queen Victoria after she learned of The Doctor's existence and got pissed at him). Previously it was very CIA like with multiple branches and huge amounts of resources. It was mostly destroyed as a result of things that happened in Doctor Who.

Jack Harkness was the leader of Torchwood 3 (a branch or division) that survived the downfall of the main organization and continued operating with a small group of agents in a secret bunker in Cardiff, Wales. Their bunker is build on a space-time rift that tends to attract aliens, beings from other dimensions, etc (i.e. Buffy/Hellmouth style).

Jack Harkness is a human time cop from 3,000 CE or so who was made immortal (accidentally) by one of The Doctor's companions in the 2006 Doctor Who series. He's immortal (though he does age extremely slowly). He got stranded on Earth in the 1800s and has "gone native".

Gwen Cooper, the dark haired English woman, was a police officer in Cardiff who stumbled across Torchwood and eventually joined in the first season. She and her husband (and child) went into seclusion at the end of season 3 for their own safety as the Torchwood organization has become illicit.

All the other main characters from the series were killed in season 3.

Overall, the series has moved toward a style of short seasons (~10 episodes) that all deal with the same season long story arc. This season it's people not dying, last season ("Children of Earth") revolved around the concept of all the children on Earth being "taken over" by and unknown entity/force.

In this season, they seem to have retconned out the fact that in the Doctor Who/Torchwood universe the people of Earth now know that Aliens exist and have traveled to Earth/etc.
Fedaykin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #9
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

Wow! That makes a bit more sense, thanks for the writeup
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:40 PM   #10
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Quote:
Wow! That makes a bit more sense, thanks for the writeup
The only thing he left out was that Captain Jack is openly gay and lost his last lover last season. In fact there is a lot of gay/bisexual action on that show from both genders.

Overall I'm not a fan of Torchwood to campy and doesn't pull it off like Doctor Who series.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
Archer81
Optimum Homo

Tactical Neck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsid13 View Post
The only thing he left out was that Captain Jack is openly gay and lost his last lover last season. In fact there is a lot of gay/bisexual action on that show from both genders.
Overall I'm not a fan of Torchwood to campy and doesn't pull it off like Doctor Who series.

You provided a reason for me to watch it at all. Gracias.

Archer81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 07:13 PM   #12
broncolife
Mr. Studmuffin

Ice and Fire

I liked Captain Jack alot in Doctor who but I havent really watched much of Torchwood.Didnt really care for the cast. To me they hancuffed Captain Jack, instead of letting his him loose on the universe.
broncolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:54 PM   #13
CHANGSTER
You are a pizza burn...

on the roof of the world's mouth

I liked it. Interesting concept to start off. Just checked Wiki to see what the previous stuff was about. Might check out the previous season.
CHANGSTER is online now   Reply With Quote