The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
broncosteven
Kranz Dictum

Gene helping John figure out FA

Adopt-a-Bronco:
They'r all bums
Default OT -Grocery Store Self Checkout lanes

Do you guys use these things? I find I would rather wait in line than use these if I have more than about 5 items.

I would rather have the store do the work.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43687085...consumer_news/

Major grocer getting rid of self-checkout lanes

One of the nation's major grocery store chains is eliminating self-checkout lanes in an effort to encourage more human contact with its customers.
Albertsons LLC, which operates 217 stores in seven Western and Southern states, will eliminate all self-checkout lanes in the 100 stores that have them and will replace them with standard or express lanes, a spokeswoman said.
"We just want the opportunity to talk to customers more," Albertsons spokeswoman Christine Wilcox said. "That's the driving motivation."
Wilcox said the replacement of automated checkout lanes with human-operated lanes likely would mean more hours available for employees to work.
The move marks a surprising step back from a trend that began about a decade ago, when supermarkets began installing self-checkout lanes, touting them as a solution to long lines. Now some grocery chains are questioning whether they are really good for business.
Kroger, the largest grocery chain in the U.S. (with some 2,500 outlets), is experimenting with removing all self-checkouts in at least one Texas store, reports StorefrontBacktalk, an industry publication. Publix, another major chain, is "on the fence" about self-checkout, according to a report quoted in the story.
broncosteven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
Requiem
~~~

~ ~ ~

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Gilgamesh

I'll use them if they are open and I'm getting a few items.

Otherwise, I make those pimple and lazy-eyed faces earn their $7.25 an hour.
Requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:21 PM   #3
Boobs McGee
I promise to stay alive

till the day that I die

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Matty P

I love em...bag my own groceries and pay in about half the time. BUT, if I have more than ten or fifteen things I just go through the line.
Boobs McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 10:23 PM   #4
Bronco Yoda

I hate the ones at lowes and home depot. Nothing ever fits in their little system.
Bronco Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:53 PM   #5
Taco John
24/7 Broncos

Peddling the Orange Addiction

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

I prefer to use them unless I have a grip of stuff in the cart - then I let the checker do it.
Taco John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:11 AM   #6
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

I never buy much at the grocery store and generally use them exclusively.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:01 AM   #7
HAT
I think, therefore I ham.

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Adam Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post

Grocery Store checkers made double that.....................In 1985.
HAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 01:31 AM   #8
DBroncos4life
Hey pic Mod!?!?! FU

Bacon bits

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Julius "Fluff"

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
Do you guys use these things? I find I would rather wait in line than use these if I have more than about 5 items.

I would rather have the store do the work.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43687085...consumer_news/

Major grocer getting rid of self-checkout lanes

One of the nation's major grocery store chains is eliminating self-checkout lanes in an effort to encourage more human contact with its customers.
Albertsons LLC, which operates 217 stores in seven Western and Southern states, will eliminate all self-checkout lanes in the 100 stores that have them and will replace them with standard or express lanes, a spokeswoman said.
"We just want the opportunity to talk to customers more," Albertsons spokeswoman Christine Wilcox said. "That's the driving motivation."
Wilcox said the replacement of automated checkout lanes with human-operated lanes likely would mean more hours available for employees to work.
The move marks a surprising step back from a trend that began about a decade ago, when supermarkets began installing self-checkout lanes, touting them as a solution to long lines. Now some grocery chains are questioning whether they are really good for business.
Kroger, the largest grocery chain in the U.S. (with some 2,500 outlets), is experimenting with removing all self-checkouts in at least one Texas store, reports StorefrontBacktalk, an industry publication. Publix, another major chain, is "on the fence" about self-checkout, according to a report quoted in the story.
I loved Albertsons, truth be told it was one of the few things I knew I would miss about moving away from Billings.
DBroncos4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:05 AM   #9
DHallblows
Ring of Famer

The self checkout line is fantastic. It's way quicker for everything except fruits and veggies (who buys those anyway) and there's always a shorter line because a) there are 6 registers in the space of 1 cashier and b) the old people are too confused/scared to use them.

Albertsons is like #3 or 4 on my list of stores I'd go to. This just seals them as the worst grocery store option around. I'd probably go to Walmart for food before I'd go to an Albertsons...
DHallblows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 02:54 AM   #10
Broncos_OTM
Dropping bombs from 5280

Broncos Over All

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem View Post

Welcome to Kmart folks!
Broncos_OTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:16 AM   #11
Jay3

Seems odd to get rid of them. The obvious solution is just to make sure there are plenty of human check out lanes, and people can choose for themselves.

It really depends on how many items I have and what they are.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:42 AM   #12
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

I use them almost exclusively. Best thing ever.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 04:44 AM   #13
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAT View Post
Grocery Store checkers made double that.....................In 1985.
Yep and A&P, for example, folded because of it.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 05:07 AM   #14
elsid13
Lost In Space

Bóg, Honor, Ojczyzna

Best thing ever. The only time they are pain in the ass when you have idiots in front of you that don't know how to use them and when you have to have the clerk concur you are the right age to buy beer.
elsid13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:34 AM   #15
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I got into using self checkouts on military bases where you're expected to tip your baggers. I hated having to tip when I rarely bought much and had just grown used to cashiers bagging your stuff at the other stores I go to. There used to be a good 10+ minute wait for self checkout there while the human lines went empty.

As long as there's no bagger scenario like that, I like the self-checkout lanes but only because they're usually quicker to get through than the other lanes. You have the gamble that one idiot can screw the whole system up and grind to a halt. You also have those people trying to check out a huge grocery cart full of stuff and you just know it's going to mess up. They should just make them express lanes, limit the items the computer can take to 20 or whatever, and keep them as a quick alternative to waiting in line.
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 06:46 AM   #16
Gcver2ver3
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
not Lance Ball

Don't like them...for 2 reasons...

1. at first i'd use them when only buying a few items, but the scanners on the self check out lane would be so difficult that i'd spend more time trying to get the scanner to scan on the bar code, than if i had gotten in a regular check out lane...

2. also, i hated waiting behind someone in the self check out line because it seemed like whomever i was behind, had no clue what they were doing, and would take forever and a day...
Gcver2ver3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:02 AM   #17
gunns
I WANT DEFENSE!

Defense, defense, defense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
TJ Ward

Absolutely love them when I have 25 items or less. Walk right up, check out, while everyone else is standing behind the idiot who has decided to write the check and doesn't start writing it until the order is rung up or doesn't know how to use the debit/credit card reader or is disagreeing on a price that has rung up. OMG!
gunns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:05 AM   #18
Miss I.
Ring of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunns View Post
Absolutely love them when I have 25 items or less. Walk right up, check out, while everyone else is standing behind the idiot who has decided to write the check and doesn't start writing it until the order is rung up or doesn't know how to use the debit/credit card reader or is disagreeing on a price that has rung up. OMG!
must love the check writers in the no check lane. This one time my friend and I were behind such a dumbass, and so I started talking about this story I read in a magazine (I did actually read this too) about a woman who was shot by someone in grocery store for writing a check in the no checks line. The woman kind of glanced at us a bit worriedly while the checker was trying not to laugh.

As for the checkout things themselves, they are fine with easy scan items and small amounts, but anything big or alcohol is a pain in the ass.
Miss I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:55 AM   #19
Drunk Monkey
Mars b****es!!!

My Costco also got rid of them.

In general I love them, my only problem is the bagging part of it. Nothing ever seams to fit the weight that is is supposed to. You get that anoying warning about incorrect item in bagging tray ect.
Drunk Monkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #20
Broncoman13
Broncoholic

JT #80

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Orange Julius

Don't care for them at all. Seems like every other time I use them the sensor in the bagger acts up. Please place item in bag... (I place the 6 pack of razors in the bag)... Please place item in bag... (I take the item out and put it back in this time with a little added pressure)... Please wait for attendant. SCHIT!!!!!!
Broncoman13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #21
Hogan11
Rock-N-Roll Historian

Let's take these SOB's out!!!!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Floyd Little

I used to use them, but then I stopped because jobs are hard to come by and this is putting some kid out of work somewhere. I generally grocery shop late at night anyways, so I'm in and I'm out in record time regardless.
Hogan11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:09 AM   #22
Rock Chalk
Cheeky Bastards

Laus Deo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

I hear lots of people have problems with it.

The Problem is you not the scanner.

My dad refuses to use them because he feels it takes someone's job away.

I myself will only use a checker if there is no one in line. I'd prefer the checker to be honest but I prefer not waiting more. So I rarely use checkers as there is almost always someone in line.
Rock Chalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:28 AM   #23
BroncoLifer
Living the Dream

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncosteven View Post
My main reason for preferring the self-checkout is that then I don't have to talk to the checkers. I'm at the store to buy stuff, not to chit chat or answer their inane "do you need any help out with that?" questions.
BroncoLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:37 AM   #24
That One Guy
Producer of Nonsense

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogan11 View Post
I used to use them, but then I stopped because jobs are hard to come by and this is putting some kid out of work somewhere. I generally grocery shop late at night anyways, so I'm in and I'm out in record time regardless.
I understand the logic but it doesn't seem like that'll fix anything. There's been plenty of times I've been at a store, lines have been silly, and there's like 2 registers going out of 10. If I wait in line, it tells the stores that I'm willing to wait and they can raise their profits by cutting back on cashiers. If I don't wait in line, I tell them that I might be unwilling to accept lines or I might be saying I don't care if there's no cashiers. Either way, waiting in line isn't going to get anyone back to work (by my figurin').
That One Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:42 AM   #25
Los Broncos
Broncos Country

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ryan Clady

It seems every time I use them they have to call someone over, like the machine failed or something.

Then you have a bunch of people behind you pissed off.
Los Broncos is offline   Reply With Quote