The Orange Mane -  a Denver Broncos Fan Community  

Go Back   The Orange Mane - a Denver Broncos Fan Community > Orange Mane Discussion > Orange Mane Central Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Chat Room Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris
Default Broncos outscore opponents in playoffs 37-3 through first 3 quarters

That's just a mind blowing stat. And we all know that we've even left a few points on the board that we easily could have had. None the less, I like this stat very much. More so then any other stat. More then TOP, more then turnovers, more then 1st downs, more then 3rd downs. Because to dominate this much throughout most of the game says that all of those areas we are winning. It tells me the Broncos are coming out with fantastic game plans and the players are executing the game plan to near perfection. It tells me this defense is playing the best it has all year, when it matters the most. It tells me the Broncos are controlling their opponents and the game in a BIG way through the first 3 quarters. They then dictate to the other team how they must play in the 4th quarter (pass, pass pass). We need to clean up the 4th quarter but after seeing this stat, it just gives me a ton of confidence we got this.

Last edited by ZONA; 01-21-2014 at 10:19 PM..
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2014, 10:08 PM   #2
broncocalijohn
Famer of Rings

I said Do It!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Simon Fletcher

I think Seahawks know of this and the media should know. Two different games in both situations. Only worry was the Chargers game where we were sucked in with Jammer. No worry there anymore if we stay healthy. We were so ahead of Brady that prevent defense was coming to us early.
broncocalijohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #3
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

People keep talking about the reg season Seattle defense. Yeah...how they played in Oct, Sept, and Nov really matters at this point. Look at the last 4 games. Hell just look at the playoffs.

If we play clean and get off the field on 3rd down...there is no team that can beat us period.
Garcia Bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:19 PM   #4
DenverDynamite
Solid Starter

HORSE POWER!!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Peyton Manning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garcia Bronco View Post
People keep talking about the reg season Seattle defense. Yeah...how they played in Oct, Sept, and Nov really matters at this point. Look at the last 4 games. Hell just look at the playoffs.

If we play clean and get off the field on 3rd down...there is no team that can beat us period.
There are Seattle posters in here boasting about Seattle's defense from LAST year.
DenverDynamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #5
ZONA
Ring of Famer

Fun at the range MAR 2014

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Chris Harris

Quote:
Originally Posted by broncocalijohn View Post
I think Seahawks know of this and the media should know. Two different games in both situations. Only worry was the Chargers game where we were sucked in with Jammer. No worry there anymore if we stay healthy. We were so ahead of Brady that prevent defense was coming to us early.
What's there to know? Of course they know. It's not like it's a secret or anything. It just means we are playing damn good football. It's not like they are going to game plan differently because we're playing well in the first 3 quarters. It's not like they're telling their guys, hey we're going to get them in the 4th so keep your heads up. Coaches preach all the time about playing hard every play, every game. If anything, I think it's just a nice confidence boost to our team, stating we are and have been playing great lately. We're peaking at the perfect time as a whole team. We're not scoring 50 points a game but as many of us have stated, our offense is not fizzing out, our points per possession is even higher in the playoffs then during the regular season. It means we are holding the ball longer and giving our defense the rest it needs. And vice versa, the defense is getting stops because they are fresh and giving the ball back to the offense to help control that clock.

Ah damn man - I can't wait 2 weeks.
ZONA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:09 PM   #6
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Quote:

Yeah people keep pointing to the high profile units on both sides: Denver's offense against the Seattle Defense. They're both top units with big name players. I get it.

But this game will be won on the other side - Denver's defense versus Seattle's offense. And Denver matches up very well against them. You're talking a top unit against the run that has held their last seven opponents to 18 points a game. And one of those games we pulled our starters in the second half.

Conversely, Russell Wilson hasn't played that well lately. He has averaged a 1 to 1 TD to interception ration. Their offense has averaged one and half TD's per game the last seven games, including playoffs, and they have as many TD's as Field goals. Russell Wilson in that time period has 4 TD's against 3 interceptions.

The Broncos also have more sacks against better offensive lines in the playoff than the Seahawks do.

They key is protecting the ball. If Denver can do that, and if Denver can slow Lynch down, or even outright stop their rushing attack they way they have the Patriots, Chargers, Texans and Raiders, and force Wilson to stay in the pocket, things will get very difficult for Seattle.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 11:20 PM   #7
L.A. BRONCOS FAN
Mo' holla fo' yo' dolla!

Lost in all the media masturbation over the vaunted SEA defense is the fact that the Broncos defense is looking just as formidable in the post season.

You can bet this oversight won't be lost on our players these next two weeks, however.
L.A. BRONCOS FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:11 AM   #8
ATL-Eric
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:

If we play clean
and get off the field on 3rd down...there is no team that can beat us period.
If we just play clean, period. Eliminate turnovers, costly penalties and Special Team blunders, we are almost unbeatable.
ATL-Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:18 AM   #9
Powderaddict
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

That is an amazing stat, especially since we played two of the top offenses in the league.

It's going to be a long 2 weeks!
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 05:22 AM   #10
ATL-Eric
Pro Bowler

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderaddict View Post
That is an amazing stat, especially since we played two of the top offenses in the league.

It's going to be a long 2 weeks!
But the Pats were depleted, dont forget. Ive read that 15 times in the last week so it must be true. There was just nothing they could do about it. ****ing gag
ATL-Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:15 AM   #11
B-Large
Ring of Famer

Expunged... Accidently?

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

I have a tempid level of interest in this stat
B-Large is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:36 AM   #12
gyldenlove
Ring of Famer

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Spencer Larsen

I think what is going to be really key is getting Wilson out of rythm. Make him scramble when he doesn't need to, hit him a bit, make him uncomfortable in the pocket, it will help the secondary if he pulls the ball down and runs and it will help the front 7 key more on the run and keeping contain and solid gap discipline.

Honestly, right now it looks like this team is executing better than any other team in the playoffs. Frankly, shutting down the Chargers and Patriots was a much bigger task than Wilson and Lynch will be. Del Rio has his guys fired up, the rotation on the front 7 defensively is keeping people going the whole game and making it tough for the offense to get rythm against our guys. Remarkably, other than turnover on downs, we have not forced a single turnover.
gyldenlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:44 AM   #13
Eldorado
Formerly orange&blue

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Ayers

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Large View Post
I have a tempid level of interest in this stat
*tepid
Eldorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:51 AM   #14
Crushaholic
Armchair Poster

It shows that the players are taking the concept of "2nd season" (or 3rd season, if you count the annoying pre-season) seriously...
Crushaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:52 AM   #15
bronco militia
Ring of Famer

THE GREATEST

Reminds me of the 1998 team in the playoffs. The struggled down the stretch, but were able to shift gears when the playoffs started.
bronco militia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:07 AM   #16
itswutz4dinna
Seasoned Veteran

New to the Forum

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco militia View Post
Reminds me of the 1998 team in the playoffs. The struggled down the stretch, but were able to shift gears when the playoffs started.
Or the 2006 Colts. That defense was worse than this one during the season, but similarly turned it around in the playoffs. The difference this time is that Manning and the offense are also playing unbelievably well.

The crazy thing about the offense is that they averaged 25 points in their two playoff wins. They scored over 50 three times in the regular season, but in these two games they would have scored 49 IF THEY SCORED A TOUCHDOWN ON EVERY DRIVE. Although I guess they'd technically be able to hit 50 if they went for style points instead of taking a knee.
itswutz4dinna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:16 AM   #17
55CrushEm
Dynamic Duo

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Quanterus Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by itswutz4dinna View Post
Or the 2006 Colts. That defense was worse than this one during the season, but similarly turned it around in the playoffs. The difference this time is that Manning and the offense are also playing unbelievably well.

The crazy thing about the offense is that they averaged 25 points in their two playoff wins. They scored over 50 three times in the regular season, but in these two games they would have scored 49 IF THEY SCORED A TOUCHDOWN ON EVERY DRIVE. Although I guess they'd technically be able to hit 50 if they went for style points instead of taking a knee.
This is what's odd.......such a low scoring average in our 2 playoff games DESPITE punting only 1 total time.

What really killed the Pats on Sunday was our 7 minute drive to open the 3rd quarter.....then another long drive. The Pats didn't even START their second possession of the 2nd half, until 10 minutes left in the game. Killer.
55CrushEm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:35 AM   #18
Powderaddict
Ring of Famer

Go Broncos!!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Montee Ball

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55CrushEm View Post
This is what's odd.......such a low scoring average in our 2 playoff games DESPITE punting only 1 total time.

What really killed the Pats on Sunday was our 7 minute drive to open the 3rd quarter.....then another long drive. The Pats didn't even START their second possession of the 2nd half, until 10 minutes left in the game. Killer.
We can run a high speed offense, a clock control offense, it doesn't matter.

It's beautiful to watch. That Virgil Green runs was such an "up yours pats!" move, it was awesome . Converting 3rd and 10 with a 28 yard run. Glorious.
Powderaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #19
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyldenlove View Post
I think what is going to be really key is getting Wilson out of rythm. Make him scramble when he doesn't need to, hit him a bit, make him uncomfortable in the pocket, it will help the secondary if he pulls the ball down and runs and it will help the front 7 key more on the run and keeping contain and solid gap discipline.

Honestly, right now it looks like this team is executing better than any other team in the playoffs. Frankly, shutting down the Chargers and Patriots was a much bigger task than Wilson and Lynch will be. Del Rio has his guys fired up, the rotation on the front 7 defensively is keeping people going the whole game and making it tough for the offense to get rythm against our guys. Remarkably, other than turnover on downs, we have not forced a single turnover.
To me Wilson is precisely the type of QB that you don't want to move off his spot. You want him to throw from the pocket with his 5 9 frame.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #20
OBF1
Ring of Famer

No avatar is the new avatar

Adopt-a-Bronco:
None are worthy

But on the other side of the coin, Denver is getting owned in the 4th quarter being outscored 30-13
OBF1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #21
SonOfLe-loLang
Young Buck

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Thunder (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBF1 View Post
But on the other side of the coin, Denver is getting owned in the 4th quarter being outscored 30-13
I duno if this is "owned" as much as they are stupid to let it happen. Hey, if you're gonna play a prevent, fine, but have the offense move the ball 5-10 yards at a time, not 25 like the Pats were.
SonOfLe-loLang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #22
Kaylore
Anybody want a peanut?

Go Avs!

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Wesley Duke

Or they're up by more than two scores and don't give a crap? Brady wasted four minutes of the last six minutes of the fourth quarter scoring six points. The first touchdown was the first score all game. The Chargers game was injury related. Not a lot you can do about that. And we pulled our starters against the Raiders.
Kaylore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #23
oubronco
John Foneco !!

Mile High Magic

Pisses me off when they go to a prevent D after dominating the majority of the game
oubronco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:04 AM   #24
enjolras
Ring of Famer

Quote:
To me Wilson is precisely the type of QB that you don't want to move off his spot. You want him to throw from the pocket with his 5 9 frame.
Which gives me a lot of hope for this game. When faced with similar QB's (Vick, Smith x2, RG3) they held outside contain EXTREMELY well, while serving up all sorts of interesting blitzes from the interior. I expect to see exactly that during the big game.
enjolras is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #25
Garcia Bronco
Hokie since 1993

Adopt-a-Bronco:
Tom Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjolras View Post
Which gives me a lot of hope for this game. When faced with similar QB's (Vick, Smith x2, RG3) they held outside contain EXTREMELY well, while serving up all sorts of interesting blitzes from the interior. I expect to see exactly that during the big game.
I made that comment as well. We faced a couple of running QBs early on and stopped them cold